Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an order on a granturismo s. i know there is no track record to speak of quite yet. I'm not a fan of getting the first year of any car, and with the S, the two newest items are the transmission and the engine (also the main reasons i'm getting the S over the base). Does ferrari/maserati/alfa have experience with this engine or transmission in any of their other cars, and if so how long and how's it been? or is this the very first car to get this transmission and engine? (I know its the same engine as the alfa competizione, but i assume there is not enough experience with that fairly new car).

·
Registered
211 Posts
the Ferrari 599 has the same transmission. The Gt has an automatic, (more reliable). Bit less power! So if the transmission is your only criteria, get a Gt and save the rest for some aftermarket mods from FD or gas :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes the 4.7 ltr engine has been in the Alfa 8C, those cars aren't widespread enough to hear any problems. I believe the new Ferrari California has the same engine in 4.3 ltr form, but I think that one differs with direct injection for quicker response. No other car has it, so we're the gineau pigs. The MC-Shift in the GranTurismo S is the same gearbox in the Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano (called F1 Superfast in their nomenclature). I did a quick search on FerrariChat and didn't find any issues with this gearbox.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't see the 4.7 being a problematic engine. It is similar to the 4.2 that has been used since 2002. It is also related to the 4.3 in the F430 which is in a much higher state of tune. I know they are not exactly the same but I can't imagine them screwing up a new version of an engine that has already been in use for quite some time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
and the downside is there will be no second year run, so you cant wait...but im sure we'll see the engine, and possibly the trans pop up in future models. as others pointed out though, both the engine and trans are in other cars.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
As mentioned above, the transmission is similar to that of the F599's, which can take much higher loads clearly, so I wouldn't worry too much.

The engine should really be the least problematic component given Maserati/Ferrari's experience with it/its predecessors.

I'd say go for the GT S and don't worry about it too much :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.