Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many members here have ordered or already received the GranTurismo. How do you like the car so far?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love it too....except for the bits n pieces of the interior do not look like its very well put together...my 1st Italian car so maybe it takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My steering wheel makes some funky noises sometimes, and the passenger side mirror moving doing some funky stuff. Other than that, its great!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine came in a few weeks ago....amazing!!

Nero Carbonio Exterior
20in Birdcage Wheels
Nero Interior
Rosso Stitching
Rosso Brake Calipers

It's absolutely marvelous! Only 100 miles before it's fully broken in. :D
The best thing, though, is the sound!

·
Registered
102 Posts
4mths on and only one issue has been paint blisters on the stick on patches on rear wheel arch to protect from chips . everything else has been a joy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had mine for 6 months now and not used it nearly enough! Fantastic car with stunning looks that attracts positive attention from most people.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This may be more than you're looking for, but . . .

This is my first Maserati. Before buying it I had only driven a QP and a GS briefly in congested suburban traffic. So I don’t have bases for comparison with other Maseratis. And I’m not a racing or high-performance driver. My last car was a 1999 Mustang Cobra to which I made a number of suspension, drive-train, wheel and tire improvements. I thought the Mustang ran and handled really well, as did the racing mechanic who did the upgrade work. But the GranTurismo is a very different beast – far more sophisticated and sure of itself. Absolutely phenomenal to drive.

I picked up my new 2008 GranTurismo on Friday, September 19th, from Maserati of San Francisco (FMoSF). Alessandro Ribola, the FMoSF rep, was a real pleasure to deal with: smart, knowledgeable, frank, good-natured, helpful and a very good customer advocate. He also gives a great orientation to the car.

The car is absolutely gorgeous – Sebring Blue with navy-gray and black interior. Sebring Blue is a spectacular pewter blue, not at all like the color of that name on the configurator.

My wife and I headed north on Highway 1 for a long weekend in the Fort Bragg area (about halfway to Oregon). The area has lots of twisty-curvy roads without much traffic. After the first 20-25 miles it started to rain, so instead of slogging up Hwy 1 in traffic we cut over from Point Reyes to Petaluma and got out of the rain for a while. The Petaluma-Point Reyes Road is terrific when the traffic’s light – sweeping turns and straightaways that really let you get acquainted with a new car.

The GranTurismo is amazing. In turns its transmission and suspension are almost intuitively responsive. The roadholding is remarkably good. I kept using “amazing,” “brilliant” and “spectacular” to describe it to my wife. She was having fun but holding on for dear life.

At Petaluma we got onto Highway 101, a 4-6 lane main artery clogged with bumper-to-bumper Friday-afternoon traffic. It was very slow, sometimes 0-5 mph. But it showed the GranTurismo transmission’s ability to deal with bad traffic, which it did with perfect manners – very smooth, no crankiness at all. Traffic opened up around Cloverdale, and Hwy 101 turned into a surprisingly good road, well-engineered curves and good pavement (not the third-world conditions that urban Californians expect). But for the CHP, it’d be a great high-speed run for the GranTurismo (or anything fast and roadworthy).

At Willits we cut west on Hwy 20 towards Ft Bragg (back in the rain). Hwy 20 is a terrific sports-car road – lots of tight twisties, up and down, well paved. Lots of fun, though the rain (the first in many months) caused a bit of concern. I didn’t push the car hard, but it handled beautifully in the rain. Very sure-footed and responsive.

On Saturday and Sunday we took some fast (for us) runs on the back roads in the Ft Bragg area. The best was south on Hwy 1 from Ft Bragg to Hwy 128 (just south of Albion), southwest on Hwy 128, then north on Flynn Creek Road, then northwest on the Comptche Ukiah Road to Hwy 1 just south of Ft Bragg. An absolute gas. Terrific driving roads, mostly well paved, with all different kinds of turns, including a lot of very tight ones. I pushed it a bit, though not hard because I was trying to keep the revs under 5000 through the break-in period.

The GranTurismo handled everything with aplomb – it’s a much smarter driver than I am. It has wonderful roadholding and cornering power, with a much more sophisticated feel to the handling than the Mustang. The motor has terrific power. And the car was very comfortable to be in for hours of all sorts of driving. Before this I’ve only had five-speeds, so this was my first experience with a paddle-shift transmission. It’s amazingly effective and easy to use.

My only criticisms are these: although the GranTurismo has great cornering power, for me it has too much body roll. Stiffer springs or maybe a sway bar would probably help. And while the motor has gobs of power, there’s often quite a lag between the time you punch it and the time it takes off. That ought to be corrected. The defogger seems programmed to replicate the Sahara, complete with Khamsin wind (hasn’t Maserati already done that?). My car’s defogger blows very hard, very hot, and can’t be adjusted in either respect. Finally, the pedals are too close together for me. I had wide-soled running shoes, and a few times when I went to brake, the right edge of the shoe caught the accelerator pedal. The first time, in the rain on Hwy 20 in a series of tight turns, was a bit disconcerting. Especially for the Harley riders I’d just passed. So driving shoes are probably in my future. Any recommendations?

But the criticisms are nothing compared to my praise for the GranTurismo. This is far and away the best car I’ve ever driven – fast, sure, fun, comfortable and drop-dead gorgeous. So far, at least, it’s worth every penny.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got my Black / Avorio GT 4.2 on Saturday.

After 270 miles the car is everything i expected and a whole lot more.

The most surprising thing for me is how well the ZF Auto box works with the engine. Smooth and refined most of the time and when you need it chages are quick enough to give real punch. In the world i drive in this car is more than fast enough so i don't agree with the 'lack of power' criticism.

The fit and finish of my car is excellent with only a few minor gripes that to be honest i expected from a low volume manufacturer.

1. The chrome (plastic) rear boot lid trim appears to lift off slightly at both ends. My dealer showed me another car which looks the same and said it can only be resolved by ordering a new part and trying to secure it better than the self adhesive pads that are currently used.

2. My key fob cases had lots of surface scratches, minor i know but annoying all the same.

3. The front left wing indicator 'popped' out one day, the fixing clip broke so it required a new holder. Sorted by the dealer.

Of course its early days, but if the car carrys on driving like this and remains reliable i'll be a very a happy owner.

Would also be interested to know how much oil your cars are using. I was told when new car can use up to a litte every 750 miles until the engine beds in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi deltona, congrats on the new car. which part of london do drive/live and i'll keep an eye out for black 58 plate passing by. glad to hear that the silver trim on the boot lid is not unique to my car, guess i'll just diy it with some glue or similar.

Stuart

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi deltona, congrats on the new car. which part of london do drive/live and i'll keep an eye out for black 58 plate passing by. glad to hear that the silver trim on the boot lid is not unique to my car, guess i'll just diy it with some glue or similar.

Stuart
Hi Stuart,

I live on the outskirts of NE London but regularly drive in and out of town. Still don't seee that many GT's which i think is a good thing. Amazing the looks of admirartion this car gets from teenagers through to pensioners, male and female, in 7 days ownership i've had plenty of nods, thumbs up, smiles and 'lovely car mate!'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts