Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you saw in the news, around 800 Maserati GranTurismo and Quattroporte sold in NA and manufactured between July and September of 2008 (model 09) are affected by a recall. I spoke to Karen at the NA HQ and she confirmed the recall program. If you call them and give your VIN number they can tell you if your unit is affect by the recall.

They are sending letters to the registered owners, but turned out that after 18 months, they have yet to receive my data so they did not have me as the registered owner. Grab your VIN number and give them a call. 1.201.816.2600

My local dealer was not even aware of the recall so I asked Karen to please check their internal communications as dealers should be aware by now and she told me she got several similar feedback from other owners.

Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm.. wonder what kind of recall it could be?
As of late, most recalls in the industry have primarily been power steering issues. But i guess it's anyones' guess from here.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
My experience, most dealers are clueless about everything except completing the paperwork for new car. Sad but true. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Italian super-luxury car maker Maserati is recalling 801 Maserati GranTurismos and Quattroportes in North America owing to a defect in the rear suspension. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the rear suspension left-side and right-side wheel alignment toe-in-tie rods may fail due to incorrect machining. If that were the case, it could eventually lead to a loss in vehicle control, thereby increasing the risk of a crash.

Given that we paid north of $120k for our cars I would expect a white glove type of service wrt this recall... But 4 days after being announced, dealers are not aware, owners not notified, and I wonder if we will get a loaner while car is on the shop... A neighbor that is also an owner contacted the NHTSA for more info and to explore some options, he will post findings.

In the mean type do not drive it too hard :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, that's one serious recall. I sure hope everyone is notified about this particular issue promptly before any damage goes viral over the forums.

·
Registered
141 Posts
At the current time, there are two recalls on the 2009 Granturismo:

First one relates to vehicles equipped with front park sensors.

Make: MASERATI Model: GRANTURISMO
Model Year: 2009
Manufacturer: MASERATI NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 20, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V092000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 824
Summary:
MASERATI IS RECALLING 824 MY 2009 GRANTURISMO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE OPTIONAL FRONT PARKING SENSOR SYSTEM. THESE VEHICLES WERE MANUFACTURED WITH FAULTY INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE WHICH AFFECTS THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE SEAT BELT WARNING BUZZER'S ABILITY TO ACTIVATE, THEREBY NOT PROPERLY WARNING WHEN THE SEAT BELTS ARE NOT ENGAGED.
Consequence:
IF THE BUZZER DOES NOT SOUND, OCCUPANTS MAY FAIL TO BUCKLE THE SEAT BELTS ADEQUATELY, RESULTING IN GREATER RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL UPLOAD A NEW SOFTWARE INTO THE VEHICLE'S INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONTROL MODULE UNIT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MASERATI AT 201-816-2600.
Notes:
MASERATI RECALL NO. 185. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

The second relates to the Tie Rod Assembly:

Check to Request Research. Submit below.
Make: MASERATI Model: GRANTURISMO
Model Year: 2009
Manufacturer: MASERATI NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: AUG 05, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V406000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY

Summary:
MASERATI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 GRANTURISMO AND QUATTROPORTE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 3, 2008, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 30, 2008. THE REAR SUSPENSION LEFT-SIDE AND RIGHT-SIDE WHEEL ALIGNMENT TOE-IN TIE- RODS MAY FAIL DUE TO INCORRECT MACHINING.
Consequence:
A FAILED TIE-ROD COULD LEAD TO A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AFFECTED TIE-RODS, INSTALL A TIE-ROD KIT AND PERFORM A WHEEL ALIGNMENT, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING SEPTEMBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MASERATI AT 1-201-816-2600.
Notes:
MASERATI'S SAFETY RECALL NUMBER IS 196. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank you Gioia for posting the news.

Called the 201 are code number above just now. My GTS (Sept.2008 build) is subject to the recall (yippie!!).

Recall letters are supposed to go out sometime in September. Dealers are NOT set up to do the repairs yet and supposedly the parts are not available (which defies logic to me, since they certainly are not making the new cars with the same defective part; they could not respond to my question about what happens if I have a new GTS and it gets into an accident today and the tie rod is damaged does that mean they could not repair it until the recall is set up?). So, bottom line is that they will not do the repair until the recall letters go out, which apparently will not go out until they have everything set up for the dealers to respond to the recalls, apparently September at the earliest.

I asked if it was safe to take the car on a long drive (I'm planning a 3500 mile trip soon) and the response I got was that as long as I am not on very bumpy roads (lots of potholes) or unpaved roads with lots of holes and the car is not bouncing a lot, I should be fine on highway roads and on twisty roads. It's the bumps apparently that present the problem.

They were very courteous and apologetic, but they did not have a lot of answers to when they could do the repairs and why they could not do it now. I get the sense they aren't used to having to going "off script" in their pitch (LOL).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not take the car on a long trip. If you want to validate how serious the issue is, send them a letter asking them to reply, in written, whether or not it is safe to drive the car in a 3500 miles roadtrip. If I read the notice properly (just my interpretation), the failure is accelerated by driving under bumpy roads conditions, but it all depends how hard have you driven your car so far, how many miles you have on it, etc.

Maserati North America handling this in a poor way and not what is expected for a high end car. We are chasing information rather than the company being proactive and sharing info. Have you contacted NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY Hotline yet?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Can they define "bumpy"
Sounds pretty vague. If I owned that model, I would be more than a bit disappointed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can they define "bumpy"
Sounds pretty vague. If I owned that model, I would be more than a bit disappointed.
Agree with you. actually I just traded emails 2 weeks ago with my Maserati dealer about getting an MC as life been good to me so far and it was time for an upgrade, but I am seriously thinking about getting something else. There are not many options if one wants an exotic and I have yet to find something I like better than a Maserati (this is personal taste of course)... but with such a poor customer experience I rather give the chance to another brand to disappoint me :thumbsup:

So i put the MC plans in the freezer and started looking around. Of course my decision is not just based on how poorly handled this recall process is, but the many little issues I have had to deal with. death by a thousand cuts, if you wish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts