Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone. I just put a deposit for a 2009 Granturismo. I am still deciding whether or not to get the Granturismo S. I currently drive a 2006 M5 and while a appreciate the horsepower, I don't really use it as I don't track the car and it's given me 3 speeding tickets in the last week.

For you Granturismo owners, is the standard car enough? I do most of my driving in Toronto traffic, and a little on the highway.

Also, living in Canada, where our winters are brutal, does anyone drive their car in the winter, and how is it?

I can't wait to get my car, it will hopefully arrive for my 40th Birthday.

Cheers to all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you test driven either the Granturismo base or the S? The base will feel very slow compared to your M5. I am in the same boat. I have an M5 and was very disappointed with the Granturismo's lack of speed, acceleration, etc. The S still isn't as fast as the M5, but I think you would be disappointed relative to what you have now if you just get the base Granturismo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow, that makes 3 of us.....fellow '06 M5 owner here and I am trying to decide on whether or not to buy the GT-S. Honestly, I did not even consider the standard GT as it would be such a large drop in performance for me from the M5 (although the GT is MUCH better looking than the M). I'm hoping to test drive a GT-S over the next week or so, and then make my decision.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The GT S is faster than the M5. That's a fact based on several on-track tests of the GT S versus the M5 and, mostly, M6.

On a straight line, maybe the Germans have a tad more speed (see here for actual results on the 0-100kmh of the GT S: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5613) but around a bend, the German cars won't hold a candle to the GT S.

Get the S man :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
probably not too big of a coincidence. we probably all bought m5's because we wanted something fast, fun, and with 4 seats. the same reasons we are looking at the granturismo. there is no doubt the granturismo is 10x better looking, but the base is very disappointing in terms of performance. i'll be curious to know what you think after driving the S. I recently posted my test drive thoughts. will also miss the creature comforts of the m5 - most notably heads up display and active bolster seats.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
there is no doubt the granturismo is 10x better looking, but the base is very disappointing in terms of performance.
Just fyi, in a recent track event arranged by an Italian mag, with one of Lamborghini's official test drivers trying several cars at Balocco, a stock GranTurismo was a whisker faster than an M6 ;) whilst the GT S was about 6" faster than the M6 (and 2" faster than the new M3).

Straight line speed is not all that's cracked up to be ;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I personally wouldn't even consider the GT, BUT, I don't drive in traffic.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a weekend in LA and boy I'd never have a car with F1 transmission in city like that. So, if you drive in bad traffic you might e better off with the GT (auto trans.).

·
Registered
151 Posts
A four seater M5 has four doors. The GT is a four seater as well, but with only two doors. I have found that even though the GT or in my case the coupe has a reasonable roomy back seat it cannot be compared to a four door, four seat vehicle. I find that my guests (not kids) still find the coupe back seat small. I think it has something to do with perspective and orientation rather than cubic measurements. Hence, if you are thinking of the GT as a true four seat substitute for an M5 I think you will find it to be a compromise. I would not give up my coupe for an M5 (I also have a 530i), but I can also say that four seats with four doors has a bigger feeling. This is especially true with the new 5 series body syle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replies, they were very informative.

I purchased an Audi Q7 last year which is my people (ie. kids) hauler, so the GranTurismo is really just for me and my wife.

I drive my car mostly in city traffic. I love the M5, but I really don't want to drive like a maniac down city streets. I am wondering, in city driving, will I really notice the drop? Is the standard Granturismo a slow car.

In Ontario, Radar detectors are illegal, and if you go 50 km/hr over the speed limit (that is 93 miles per hour), the police confiscate your car for "street racing." Plus you may not be insurable after that. It's really draconian.

After all my speeding tickets, this is something I want to avoid.

I guess my question really is, is the standard Granturismo, in regular driving, really a "slow" car"?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the dealers should have their demo GT-S soon. the vancouver one just got theirs.

I wonder why you are worried about speeding tickets. if you drive fast, you drive fast. that's you, not particularly the car. yes, it will get you to illegal speed quicker and easier, but don't you have any control of a car if you are already 40? and really, the GT and GT-S will get you into the same trouble. it is not like the GT is a kia.

if you are undecided between the two, go for the best one. otherwise if you get your GT, you will always regret not getting the GT-S.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i hope you know that the GT-S doesn't have automatic transmission. a pain in traffic.

You are wrong ! The 'S' can be driven in full auto mode - you have the following options

1) Auto
2) Auto sport mode
3) Manual
4) Manual Sport mode

In auto mode it is a very quiet, smooth, comfortable grand tourer. In Manual sport mode it is an absolute beast !

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
You are wrong ! The 'S' can be driven in full auto mode - you have the following options

1) Auto
2) Auto sport mode
3) Manual
4) Manual Sport mode

In auto mode it is a very quiet, smooth, comfortable grand tourer. In Manual sport mode it is an absolute beast !
GT Korea is right, the transmission is not an auto.

Yet, it can be driven in automatic mode, which you correctly point out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Transmission

Ok the transmission may not be auto, but GT Korea is claiming that 'it is a pain in traffic' - that is simply not correct, in auto mode there is no problem with traffic. In my experience driving in auto mode is the same as if the transmission were fully auto - the changes are seamless.
Am I missing something ?

PS - I have skyhook in mine.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Am I missing something ?

The Auto mode in the Coupe/GranSport wasn't very good at all, so I suspect there are some lingering doubts on the effectiveness of the auto mode in the new GT S.

But I take your comment on board, if you find it seamless and smooth, that's great news :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi to everyone. I just put a deposit for a 2009 Granturismo. I am still deciding whether or not to get the Granturismo S. I currently drive a 2006 M5 and while a appreciate the horsepower, I don't really use it as I don't track the car and it's given me 3 speeding tickets in the last week.

For you Granturismo owners, is the standard car enough? I do most of my driving in Toronto traffic, and a little on the highway.

Also, living in Canada, where our winters are brutal, does anyone drive their car in the winter, and how is it?

I can't wait to get my car, it will hopefully arrive for my 40th Birthday.

Cheers to all.
Listen to the sound of this car, there is no choice to be made, get the S.

http://worldtv.com/maseratigranturismostv/

·
Registered
135 Posts
The GT S is faster than the M5. That's a fact based on several on-track tests of the GT S versus the M5 and, mostly, M6.

On a straight line, maybe the Germans have a tad more speed (see here for actual results on the 0-100kmh of the GT S: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5613) but around a bend, the German cars won't hold a candle to the GT S.

Get the S man :D
Do you have any links or some kind of proof to back these claims up? Especially the claim that a standard GT is faster than a M6--I'm having a really hard time believing this one. Straight line, road course, or whatever the race, I'd love to see some hard facts.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
349 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that the GranTurismo beats the M6. Although different cars, I recall the Quattroporte beat the M5 around the track on EVO magazines test track which I thought was incredibly impressive given the M-division's engine by comparison to the Maser has 2 more cylinders, 100 more horsepower and focused suspension. Just goes to show you how good Maseratis really are when pushed.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.