Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Maserati ! Just sold my 6 series BMW and decided to take it up a notch ! Love the gt .. but just what am i getting myself into ? Im looking at an 09 gt sport with 25k looks immaculate one owner and it has the 4.7. so if anyone has any insight on what i should be on the look out for or what to expect would be much appreciated !

·
Registered
168 Posts
There have been some incremental improvements over the years. I’d look at getting at least a 2013 to avoid the variator issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill definitely keep that in mind i have an inspector going to look at the car tomorrow (buying out of state) now that variator issue is that something i can have the inspector check ? Appreciate it !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I let him know to check the engine code so see what happens 🤞🏼 Appreciate it !

·
Registered
180 Posts
If it is a one owner car you can ask if he ever had them fixed, either by putting the check valves in the cam caps or if the variators were updated to the new ones at any point. Ask for paperwork showing the work if he says yes

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 2009 4.7 GTS, lovely car. Had it for just over a year and still makes me smile every time I start her up! Things to watch out for on a car of this age:

a) Variators - You either need an engine number later than 148697 or check to see if the variators have been replaced. Expensive fix.
b) Front suspension bushes, both wishbone and shock - If these haven't been replaced they will almost certainly be shot, even with just 25K on them. That mileage is about all they manage.
c) Subframe - Prone to rust, especially if used on salty winter roads or if it's lkived near the near. Check for decent under sealing.
d) Weeping cam cover gaskets - notorious for this. Easy and relatively cheap fix.
e) Parking sensors - my front ones generally have a mind of their own!
f) air conditioning pump

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I picked up on this one , which surprised me : “ b) Front suspension bushes, both wishbone and shock - If these haven't been replaced they will almost certainly be shot, even with just 25K on them. That mileage is about all they manage “

25 K miles :oops: ?! If you use your car for off-road racing and rallies maybe ...☺

Perhaps Jason or someone else who works on multiple Maseratis can chime in here with their experience on that , as well as some other members who have logged a significant amount of miles on their cars, but I don’t recall seeing more than two or three OPs threads on this forum describing that as a very common wear issue, at low mileage. I have 45 K miles on my ‘13 GTS, my buddy in SoCal has over 70 K miles on his ‘12 MC, all suspension bushings are still in great shape. And both NorCal where I live and SoCal have notoriously bad streets and highways conditions. But sure, if the car is driven aggressively, sudden acceleration and frequent hard braking, throwing the car into turns, testing its limits, I suspect one might not even get 25 K miles out of them.. .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re bushes, maybe it's the age of my car that didn't help. It's a 2009 4.7 GTS, so 11 years old. My bushes are shot, with metal showing at relatively low mileage and are about to be replaced, but that could have been previous owners driving aggressively. I know I was told by the mechanic who recently serviced my car that this can be a common issue on older cars.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Yeah, probably a combination of both age and driving m.o. .. 11 years for any rubber components ;bushings, hoses, belts , motor mounts , etc is really pushing your luck, add to that aggressive / highly spirited driving and it’s best to have all those things inspected thoroughly before buying an older car..any car, especially a GT whose parts and labor will be above average expenses .

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got a 2009 4.7 GTS, lovely car. Had it for just over a year and still makes me smile every time I start her up! Things to watch out for on a car of this age:

a) Variators - You either need an engine number later than 148697 or check to see if the variators have been replaced. Expensive fix.
b) Front suspension bushes, both wishbone and shock - If these haven't been replaced they will almost certainly be shot, even with just 25K on them. That mileage is about all they manage.
c) Subframe - Prone to rust, especially if used on salty winter roads or if it's lkived near the near. Check for decent under sealing.
d) Weeping cam cover gaskets - notorious for this. Easy and relatively cheap fix.
e) Parking sensors - my front ones generally have a mind of their own!
f) air conditioning pump
I agree with items "a" through "d". Not sure about e and f because I just have not experienced them but that is good to know.
Variators would not be an inspectable item unless you can do a completely cold start and possibly hear the noise. Otherwise, unless there is documentation that they have been replaced along with an oil check valve on cam caps (you need both of these fixes), there is the real possibility you will need to do the repair at some point.
Very true on front upper control arm bushings and cam cover gaskets. I have had both and read multiple threads of others experiencing them. My mechanic said the control arm bushings are a common failure point. Expensive to replace because of labor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for insight , still waiting on inspection (inspector was sick so they found another one) hes checking it out tonight , but is there someway to get the engine code through vin # ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Forgot to ask which transmission you have in this car. If this is a 2009 GT-S and has the 6-speed auto-clutch by Graziano, I would avoid that because of the maintenance costs.
The ZF transmission is much more reliable and does not need the clutch replacements like the other one.
Check out posts on the F1/auto-clutch transmission and I'm pretty sure you would want to avoid that. It was replaced in later years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For the engine number, in my case was given by the dealer. I only gave them the VIN number and they shared with me all the technical information about the car. Searching around in the forum I found the following link, might help you out:

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it is a one owner car you can ask if he ever had them fixed, either by putting the check valves in the cam caps or if the variators were updated to the new ones at any point. Ask for paperwork showing the work if he says yes
Forgot to ask which transmission you have in this car. If this is a 2009 GT-S and has the 6-speed auto-clutch by Graziano, I would avoid that because of the maintenance costs.
The ZF transmission is much more reliable and does not need the clutch replacements like the other one.
Check out posts on the F1/auto-clutch transmission and I'm pretty sure you would want to avoid that. It was replaced in later years.
i actually was looking at one with the graziano but backed out after hearing about unreliability, but this one is ZF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Maserati ! Just sold my 6 series BMW and decided to take it up a notch ! Love the gt .. but just what am i getting myself into ? Im looking at an 09 gt sport with 25k looks immaculate one owner and it has the 4.7. so if anyone has any insight on what i should be on the look out for or what to expect would be much appreciated !
NO WORRIES, VERY RELIABLE!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts