Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Granturismo Sport with less than 6 months on new Interstate Battery

I replaced the battery because it was 10 years old not due to any problems.

So the car sat for 2 days and the battery was dead on the 3rd when I went to open the door.
After I was able to find and pull on the truck cable under the rear seat I put a battery charger on it and used a clip-on Amprobe on the battery cable that showed I had a 1 amp parasitic draw on the battery. Figuring it would take longer to charge with a draw I disconnected the battery and charged it for 12 hours.
So today I was ready to start pulling fuses to find the culprit discharging my battery but all's well with no measurable parasitic draw.

The only thing I can think of is the dam cat while sleeping on my lap might have been pressing the key fob buttons.

Whats Up?
Italians messing with me?

I read lots of posts where the dealer had cars with dead battery problems for weeks and couldn't find a problem as it seemed intermittent.
Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well, Maserati/Ferrari used a kind of weird electrical system. A lot of components are hot all the time, but, controlled to turn “on and off” using relays.
So you need to check the circuits and find one that might have a bad relay. If it does, it can be staying “on” all the time, even if the car isn’t.

5,152 Posts
I don't really agree..There isn't anything that odd about the electrical system...The Italian cars with the odd electrical problems were made in the 80's....For starters you need to make sure you didn't get a dud battery...It does happen....Occasionally, a seat switch can stick and make the seat ECU keep cycling.....Pulling fuses isn't the way to check for a drain on a car with a network BTW..When you pull the fuse, you wake all the network back up....There is way to do it ,but it is slightly complicated...Jason

Reactions: DSGT

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jason and Sock thanks for chiming in. Nice to hear it might be as simple as a stuck seat switch or something similar that won't happen again.
So Jason if it does happen again how do you suggest finding the culprit if you have time to put it in simple terms.
Thanks

5,152 Posts
You need to start with checking the battery and the charging system....You can check for a parasitic load(drain) with a decent meter...Fixing one is another matter and is really a professional type repair IMO...I can explain it, but you'll be like WTF I think...Jason

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
185 Posts
2011 Granturismo Sport with less than 6 months on new Interstate Battery

I replaced the battery because it was 10 years old not due to any problems.

So the car sat for 2 days and the battery was dead on the 3rd when I went to open the door.
After I was able to find and pull on the truck cable under the rear seat I put a battery charger on it and used a clip-on Amprobe on the battery cable that showed I had a 1 amp parasitic draw on the battery. Figuring it would take longer to charge with a draw I disconnected the battery and charged it for 12 hours.
So today I was ready to start pulling fuses to find the culprit discharging my battery but all's well with no measurable parasitic draw.

The only thing I can think of is the dam cat while sleeping on my lap might have been pressing the key fob buttons.

Whats Up?
Italians messing with me?

I read lots of posts where the dealer had cars with dead battery problems for weeks and couldn't find a problem as it seemed intermittent.
Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the car.
Good luck figuring this out man and please post an update if you do. I have the same problem but haven't had it checked out yet... I just keep it on a tender and have now been in the habit of disabling the EPB before she's going to be parked for a while.

5,152 Posts
Same thing I told the OP...If you buy a cheap DVOM off Amazon or Ebay..Like 35 bucks I can help show you how to check and see if you have a drain on the battery...J

·
Registered
2009 GranTurismo S
44 Posts
The PO of my car said to leave it on a tender if it's gonna be parked for more than a couple days. So far I've left it parked for over a week and had no issue with it starting right up. My problem is I really need to get a back-up camera, parking this thing is a pain. :)

5,152 Posts
These cars are not cell phones and don't need to be left on a charger...Maserati, in their grand scheme of manufacturing an automobile didn't make a car that runs the battery down after 7 days...Cars that sit a lot ruin the batteries from lack of use...Is it really that simple...Jason

Reactions: DSGT

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't really agree..There isn't anything that odd about the electrical system...The Italian cars with the odd electrical problems were made in the 80's....For starters you need to make sure you didn't get a dud battery...It does happen....Occasionally, a seat switch can stick and make the seat ECU keep cycling.....Pulling fuses isn't the way to check for a drain on a car with a network BTW..When you pull the fuse, you wake all the network back up....There is way to do it ,but it is slightly complicated...Jason
okay maybe not unusual among European cars, I’m used to off being off I guess. But-I am only proficient at the audio side of it. And that, in my opinion, is an odd way they do it. But also lots of these cars, mine included, are close to a decade old or older.
Multimeter is where it’s at OP

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good luck figuring this out man and please post an update if you do. I have the same problem but haven't had it checked out yet... I just keep it on a tender and have now been in the habit of disabling the EPB before she's going to be parked for a while.
I think you’re just band-aiding a parasite draw that can be fixed.

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,032 Posts
I have left it 2 months on original 2016 battery and fired right up. New 2020 battery installed and left a dongle in the USB for a few days and it needed a charge....no rhyme or reason

·
Registered
174 Posts
The point of whether it starts up versus not - is only part of the matter. Many of the onboard modules are very sensitive to voltage. Your best bet for minimizing trouble lamps/ malfunction indicator lamps is to keep at optimal voltage at all times. A Tender is, I guess arguably, one of the single best things you can use to counter this.

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You need to start with checking the battery and the charging system....You can check for a parasitic load(drain) with a decent meter...Fixing one is another matter and is really a professional type repair IMO...I can explain it, but you'll be like WTF I think...Jason
As Darth Vader says: "I find your lack of faith disturbing" :)
Being a tool junkie I have the necessary digital tools to diagnose electrical gremlins but just like my Maserati I run out of talent before equipment.
Luckily the car started fine this morning with the alternator working at 14 plus volts. I'm hoping it was as simple as Jason suggested and just a stuck switch. Now I just have to control my paranoia when I take it on a 500 mile trip to the middle of the desert next month. Serenity Now, Serenity Now.....

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,068 Posts
. Now I just have to control my paranoia when I take it on a 500 mile trip to the middle of the desert next month. Serenity Now, Serenity Now.....
I hear you ! ;):LOL: One of my biggest long road trip concerns .. car breaks down on a not-so-frequently traveled highway, and either : 1) it takes AAA two or three hours to get to you, while you’re waiting in 100 + F heat , or 2) even worse , you’re in an area with no phone signal.
But hey, if we were too paranoid about those things we’d never take road trips through desert highways , canyons , etc..

I mean, what‘s the worst that can happen ..

0FAA1A7C-8D0B-48C0-B55F-A3AD8836C75F.jpeg :rolleyes::p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts