Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I booked my 6 week old GT (4.2) in for next week to have my boot lid trim replaced/refitted as it lifts at the end and mentioned to my dealer that sometimes the gearchanges can be jerky out of the blue.

He called me make to say that other than some software updates for the media system there is also a recall on my car to have the accelerometer sensor(s) changed.

I am not exactly sure of the purpose of these accelerometers but i wondered if they were any way linked to the ECU/gearbox and could be the reason why I get the occasional jerky change? Perhaps these sensors give signals that make the gearbox think i want a fast sporty change when i'm actually just cruising gently?

Has anyone here had them replaced yet and was there any noticeable difference?

I'll let you know the outcome hopefully the end of next week.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I would think that's either a stability control system accelerometer or one for airbag deployment. Probably nothing to do with shifting, which should be determined by only by the engine's operating point and your right foot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is for the wheel vertical acceleration sensors for the suspension ECU. Not related to the trans control system, which sound as if you have a software issue. Make SURE you get them to address your shifting anamolies. Best of luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is for the wheel vertical acceleration sensors for the suspension ECU. Not related to the trans control system, which sound as if you have a software issue. Make SURE you get them to address your shifting anamolies. Best of luck.
You sound like a man who knows what he's talking about. The dealers have said there are some software upgrades for my car they will be doing, but nothing gearbox specific. Is it possible that within these upgrades there may be gearbox 'patches' that might be updates that Maserati doesn't want to mention, or does the gearbox have separate software or even a separate ECU. Others have suggested that even a simple reflash of the original software might help?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Campaign 176. Front wheel acceleration sensor.

Just had it done on my 05 QP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got my GT back from the dealer.

The boot trim has been refitted and is now perfect.

The gearbox has also been reset so it 'learns' my style of driving from new and the shifts are MUCH smoother.

I also had a software update for the Multimedia system and all seems fine.

One thing they couldn't replicate: on three cold mornings when i started the car before it went into the dealer i got a 'clack clack clack' sound from the engine immediately the engine fired up. It sounded like tappets but i was informed it could be an exhaust (HGA?) valve. Anyway, in 10 days the car was with the dealer they couldn't replicate it and it hasn't done it since it has come back to me. Meanwhile the dealer tells me they have two other cars coming in with reports of a similar problem. Maybe they'll find out from their cars?

Anyway i'm pleased to have her back and driving superbly.

When speaking to the technician i mentioned about how i like the GTS exhaust noise. He couldn't be sure but he said by replacing the centre piece exhaust section from my GT with a GTS centre piece i might get some improved exhaust tones. Anyone here had a look at that yet as it would seem a low cost solution to beef up the sound without a full new rear box?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Larini X Pipe for GranTurismo

We do have the Larini X-Pipe to replace the stock GT module. It flows much better, saves weight and performs at least as well as the stock GTS in that regard. It does add a bit of snarl to the exhaust by itself. However the Mufflers and X-Pipe together sound magnificent.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just got my GT back from the dealer.

One thing they couldn't replicate: on three cold mornings when i started the car before it went into the dealer i got a 'clack clack clack' sound from the engine immediately the engine fired up. It sounded like tappets but i was informed it could be an exhaust (HGA?) valve. Anyway, in 10 days the car was with the dealer they couldn't replicate it and it hasn't done it since it has come back to me. Meanwhile the dealer tells me they have two other cars coming in with reports of a similar problem. Maybe they'll find out from their cars?

Well, unfortunately I had this " clack, clack " yesterday and this mornig as well. Night temps arround freezing!

... It really sounds weird...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts