Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in Kerbeck looking at the new Vantage yesterday just for kicks and I was blown away by it. The extra attention to detail and construction really impressed me. Considering it's in the same neighborhood at the GS, I'm wondering if anyone else here compared it to the Maser before making their purchase.

Didn't have time for a test drive, which of course if the most important aspect of the car, but I decided to wait for their new paddleshift transmission to be available before test driving (1st car due for april delivery).

Some things that impressed me:
-"Swan" doors lift up slightly when opening, no curb dings
-Seats are a little wider and sit much lower giving a better driving position for tall drivers like me
-better pedal/wheel spacing than the Maser (Sometimes I feel like the Maser is designed for someone 5'6")
-more flared fenders give a much more aggressive look, I really like the turned up duckbill rear deck lid.
-Seat adjustment knobs on the center console can actually be accessed whereas I usually have to crack open my door to adjust the Maser ones
-easier to read gauages (steering wheel position on the Maser cuts off my top row warning lights...which come on quite often).

If the engine delivers, suspension is a little tighter than the Maser and the transmission is fun to drive, I might consider jumping ship. Let me hear your thoughts on the car either way

·
Registered
111 Posts
Karl at Park Place just sold his Vantage V8 and bought a GS Spyder. I drove his Vantage before he sold and would have bought it if he hadnt sold it the week prior. I then drove the GT Coupe and bought that. I liked both almost equally. I think the AM looks are a tad above in my book but the Maser overall I like more. I was blown away when I drove the Maser. I was a tad more comfy in the Maser as well. Karl can give you plenty more details.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
long time ago i test drove a db9 which blew me away. of course this is on a different level (v12, more $). the V8 looks just as good. i have a deposit on a V8 roadster. so far i have not been down to my dealer to check out the vantage. certainly it is worth checking out. Prodrive offers upgrades now ;)

the problem i have with the V8 vantage is that you are buying a base / entry level Aston Martin. they will for sure have an S version or even a CS version in the near future, considering the V8 only has 380hp. if i m not mistaken, you can get a slightly used 05 DB9 for just a little more money in the US. ($110k for a 07 V8 Vantage, $120k+/- for a 05 V12 DB9)

the GS is nice with the extra seats. but if you insist on a MT then the Vantage is your choice. I have no idea how well their sportshift transmission is going to work.

no one knows but i am hoping the resale value of the Vantage will fall in line more with (or better than) the 911 than with the GS.

·
Registered
258 Posts
drove the V8 but the Maserati felt faster

I was considering the AM V8 as a potential replacement of my 03 maserati but decided to keep it because the Italian sport car looks better.
I have to say that the resale value of the AM could be better

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually bought Karl's AMV8 and am now jumping ship into either a Maserati Gransport Spyder, C4S Cab, or a DB9 Volante.. Anyone wanna buy a nice 1200 mile AMV8?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I own a 06 GS and test drove a AM v8 a few weeks ago

When i purcahsed my GS was lst Christmas and the AM V8 was not on our shores yet. The difference in quality of the two cars are like trying to compare apples to oranges. They are both great cars.

THis is what I like about the GS:

Aggressive Italian sound(which can only come from italian artisans)
When you sit anywhere in the car, drivers seat passenger or back seat(which AMv8 does not have), the car just feels like a work of art.
THe balance of the GS is pretty good even when you get agressive in the corners.

What I dislike about the GS:

Finicky Italian Electronics. Since i had my car over a year. I think i have had my car in the shop more than 6 times. However i just accept that my car is italian and their are just some things that these italian cars can not get rid of. I am sure most of you heard , "What does FIAT, stand for? Fix It Again Tony!" But i must say that every time i step in hte car to drive their is none like any other it feels special and yes it has passion.

About the AMV8: I believe it is a copy of what the GS would be if it were to be the successor car of the current GS"

Maserati are dealing with their quality issues and the warranty and service have been great replacing whatever is wrong with the car.

The AM is very well tuned car to the road, but it lacked the edgy fighter feeling you get when driving the GS.

I believe the new iteration of the GS will blow away the AMV8 supercharged version that is due to come out soon.

Well HAPPY DRIVING!!!;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
This week i drove on the same day an 07 Vantage and a brand new MCVictory (#23)....

What a difference..... the Vantage was and is Loud but SLOW..... I liked it but i don't LOVE IT... The interior is mild.

I am ready to drop coin on the MCVictory at 100k--- It has MC seats, Suede, a Stradale like quality in a Maser coat and carbon fiber up the wazoo...

no contest!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Aston, but there's one thing wrong.. There's a ROOF over my head! I live in Los Angeles where with the weather being 75+/- 10 degrees and sunny 300 days of the year, I really need a convertible. I've narrowed it down to 3 cars:

SL55
Maserati Spyder
911 C4S Cabriolet

The SL55 is big and heavy, but it's comfortable and has the hardtop and is fast
The Maserati drives well but is older and the looks are just OK, combined w/ horrible resale (due to the new one coming out) -- I got offered a new 2006 GS Spyder for $85,000
The Porsche is probably the best overall, but they are a dime a dozen in LA..

I just wish the new Granturismo drop-top would come out, or the Vantage Roadster.. Or maybe the new SL (R231 chassis)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts