Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Don't bother searching, I can answer your question. GS is the best. :cool:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hahaha, that was going to be my next post!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Truthfully speaking there is a world of difference between the two models, even though they may have the same powerplant.

The GranSport is a much sportier car with significantly better performance in all areas.

The GranTurismo is a luxury car, not a sports car.

We have quite a range of mods for these cars that will really wake them up. However the GranTurismo is a much larger, heavier car with an Automatic Transmission.

If you want a sports car, its the GranSport. If you want a Luxury Car, you'll prefer the GranTurismo.

The QP DuoSelect stands in the middle between the two in terms of performance, which suprises many people.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you want a sports car, its the GranSport. If you want a Luxury Car, you'll prefer the GranTurismo.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff
This is exactly why I went with a GS instead of GT :D:D:D and couldn't be happier :D:D:D

The QP DuoSelect stands in the middle between the two in terms of performance, which suprises many people.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff
This certainly surprised me too. ;)

and thanks Jeff for speaking your true opinion.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Coupe and GS are more alike than GranTurismo

Truthfully speaking there is a world of difference between the two models, even though they may have the same powerplant.

The GranSport is a much sportier car with significantly better performance in all areas.

The GranTurismo is a luxury car, not a sports car.

We have quite a range of mods for these cars that will really wake them up. However the GranTurismo is a much larger, heavier car with an Automatic Transmission.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff
I would differ with BigFoot on comparison being 1) Coup vs GranTurismo and 2) GS vs GranTurismo S.

I agree with Jeff at FD that GranTurismo is more "luxury." But I maintain that GS and Coupe are almost substitutes, with a small performance edge to the GS.

But I would love to hear from Jeff about stock Coupe vs stock GS. Also, how does FD modded Coupe run against stock GS? Which mods are most critical - ECU, DBW, springs, sway bars?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Also, how does FD modded Coupe run against stock GS? Which mods are most critical - ECU, DBW, springs, sway bars?
I think that's a really interesting question. Especially for those looking to get into a Maserati first-time and trying to compare the value of getting a pre-MY05 and adding mods to increase performance versus the additional expense of getting a GS. I'm a GS owner myself but, I would think that an FD modded Coupe would exceed stock GS performance depending on the specific type of modifications:
  • You could take the Coupe's stock 390HP and add 20-30 HP with the ECU upgrade
  • Upgrade exhaust for an additional +10-15 HP to get a total of ~ 430-435HP
  • Adding the DBW would retune the clutch to gain much better off-the-line performance exceeding the stock GS
  • Adding the FD springs & lowering about 1.25" would exceed stock GS suspension - adding the FD sway bars would take that to the next level beyond

Of course, all of these could be added to the GS but the relative improvement over stock would not be as great as it would be in the Coupe.

I'm estimating that the total cost of the above would be in the $7.8K (per FD website) range plus installation. Bottom line, I think with these mods, the Coupe would definitely have the clear performance advantage over a stock GS. On the other hand, the stock GS owner can make the same upgrades where it makes sense....leaving it to a matter of $$, taste (some like the surf board side panels), and warranty issues.

my .02

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
An FD modded Coupe will easily outperform a Stock GS.

With that said, I still think the GS is a worthy improvement and a valuable package that I would pay for.

The coupe has many disadvantages over the GS, they are very different cars to drive. However the difference can easily be made up.

To me it all boils down to whether or not you like the GS upgrades, trim, seats, wheels and exhaust. If you're going to upgrade these anyway or you're quite happy with the coupe equivalents... Save some money, buy the coupe and install a few mods. You'll have a much faster car over the GS and it will just feel better overall.

Regarding what mods are the most impressive. I would say that the DBW/ECM, Sport Springs and Larini Exhaust are the best bang for the buck. These mods really transform the car into something different. Sway Bars are quite a bit of help as well, but usually are installed after or along with the Sport Springs.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
227 Posts
Aside from cosmetics, wheels and exhaust, what is the difference between a 06 coupe and a GS?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts