Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently entertaining the thought of trading the Gransport for a 612........ Am I losing my mind?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Depends on how big the sack of money in the trunk of the Gransport is.

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank god the markets are in freefall.....

I'm aiming for a difference of about US$75k max depending on whether or not the ferrari dealer's children are well fed or not.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It depends....

About the money - only if it matters
About the excitement - only if it matters
About the prestige - only if it matters
About the fuel economy - only if it matters
About the friends - only if it matters

I could go on and on. As you can see you are not loosing your mind if it does not matter. Go for it as long as you don't have a need to look back or ask the question.

2004 Coupe

·
Registered
859 Posts
Why?

Why a 612 when these days that money can get you into a 360 or a Maranello.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why a 612 when these days that money can get you into a 360 or a Maranello.
PKGS is right. 4 seats is a must. Better long term residuals compared with Masers. A lot of people seem to think that the 612 is ugly, and this was the direction I was hoping that the posts would (or not) take. I've always liked the look of the 465 and I can step up $ wise to a 612 but im interested in what people think.

·
Registered
167 Posts
612s look great in certain colors.
Of course the F will be more interesting to own vs the Mas. V12 vs V8....that alone.
Heck yes go for it.
Would make for a dream DD.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How soon is now? ;)
I'm just entertaining the thought at the moment. Mind you a few years ago I entertained the thought of a Gransport and look what happened!

·
Registered
167 Posts
the price delta is at least $100k.
There are many great cars that you could ADD to your garage and keep your GS for $100k. Personally, I would keep the GS and add a 430. The 05s are in the 130s now....wait 12 months and I bet the 430s will be in the low 100s.
If depreciation matters...the 456/612 F cars have horrible resell.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you driven one? I think this should be the first step...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would have to say that the single thing that impressed me most about the 612 was the gleaming approval owner of the Ferrari Maserati dealership that I used to work for. This man has litterally driven every Ferrari and Maserati for 30 years and he said it was the best Ferrari he had ever driven. He is a race car driver so he picks every car apart and he had nothing but tire pressure adjustments for the 612. I have never before or since seen him rave about a car like that. I have driven the 612 and it is a very powerful front engine 12 cylinder Ferrari. It drives like the rest of the front engine cars. It is a bit bigger though. There were some issues early on so I would stick to later build cars. The Gransport is a great car also. I have never had so much fun driving a car. So easy to push to it limits and responds well to slight adjustments. The maintainence cost would be greater on the Ferrari. Something about the Horse makes it cost more.Good luck in either decision.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm currently entertaining the thought of trading the Gransport for a 612........ Am I losing my mind?
There is a world of difference.

You'll be 12 cyls Vs. 8.

You'll inherit a fussy F1 transmission.

It will go like hell.

Your insurance will increase as will your fuel consumption.

Your maintenace costs are much greater in 612.

Also 612 values are dropping like a rock.

Think it through very carefully.

·
Registered
97 Posts
without the badge...

I am new to Italian sports cars.
I have owned a 911 for a few years now.

So just looked over the different Ferrari models (430, 599, 612 etc..)
I found that a good comparison for me would be the 2+2 models.
456, 456m, 612 (and soon the California).

Badges off, comparing cars side by side, based on aesthetics, I personally have no doubt that the Granturismo is a much sexier car than the 612. And I think that most people would share this same point of view.

But I must also admit that ANY car, no matter how bland, with the legendary Ferrari Stallion gets a lot of attention.

On the side of the V12 and the drive? I can't say because I have not driven one. I probably should not test drive one. I might end up buying one.

All I can say is that for the price, a Granturismo gets me the feel I want and the Italian beauty that I just can't get over. Every time I go to the coffee shop, grocery store or wherever, I enjoy the walk back to my car looking at my Maserati from all different angles. Really a joy. Then I start her up? All heads turn... Such a sweet sound. Not anything like a modified exhaust I hear on many sports cars. It's that unique, Italian growl that no other car can imitate. Visceral.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The 612 certainly is a nice looking car, but I am not sure you get $100K+ worth of "upgrade" from a Gransport. Seems to me you are getting pretty much the same thing just with higher maintenance costs. As mentioned, for that $100K you could get into something a little different like a nice 360. Keep the Gransport for the 4 seats and take the 360 out when you just want to "meditate" by yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
612 is the best Ferrari ever.

Hello, DO IT NOW, the 612 is a 599 with back seats and less than half the price used. I have also spoken to people that are big time Ferrari buyers and they always say the 612 is the best one ever. The 612 is like a big maserati coupe that's even sexier. I will also buy one when I get the money together.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts