Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the rear tyres on my '06 Gransport. I use the car most days in all conditions except snow and Ice. Should I stick with the Pirelli P Zero Rosso's which were the original fit, or is there a better option available?

·
Registered
286 Posts
depends on what you want out of your tyres. i would go with the falken fk-452's and would go up a size to 245's front and 275's rear. i want max dry grip performace. milage/ wear then price. i have falken rt 615's on the vette 315/30/18's and rt-215's on the miata 195/60/14 and swear by them if they made them for the maserati i would run the rt's on it. good luck let us know what u go with and how they perform/last.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am currently using the Continental Contisport 2. They seem to wear very well and the handling is even crisper than the Pirelli's. I will purchase another set when these are wornout. I can certainly recommend them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bridgstone REo1 R

Love em.
R compond for the road. Very sticky and responsive, better than my conti Vmax, Pirrelli and PS2 I have went through.

Don't look for ice or snow with these though.

tire rack sells them

Robb

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just got another set of Goodyear F1s from Tirerack

I was very happy with my original Goodyear F1s. Excellent handling.

Got a set of tires delivered to my local installer for $940.00 including shipping. They charged me $80.00 to mount and balance all 4 tires.

Total cost $1,020.00 for 4 great tires at 13,500 miles.

I actually called two local goodyear shops. They told me, their cost on the special order tires was about the same as what I was paying from tirerack.. I have been using tirerack for years. Great service.

CM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have gone for Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3. I will let you know my thoughts once thay are fitted.

Unfortunately I cant use Tirerack as they are a bit too far away!

Thanks for all your advice.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I can only comment on PS2. The big noticeable difference between the original Michelin Pilot Sport and the PS2 is road noise. The PS2 is much quieter at all speeds and I think our cars transmit a lot of tire noise into the cabin. I have been happy with the PS2 but cannot comment on wear since they are new.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Suggestion:
Let us keep the thread for Gransports tires = 19" with standard mounted Pirelli,
and one for Coupes Tyres = 18" with standard mounted Michelin? (I am not sure if this is true however).
As the thread "Gransport Tyres" has evolved into the 18" wheel discussion I suggest we continue with that.?
I for one have the same issue as "maseratifan" on my GranSport as I am considering a new set of Pirelli. Would a set of P Zero Rosso asymmetrico be an option?
Are the PS2 a better choice? Also, could we mount a wider tire on our rims: 8.0"Jx19 front and 9.5"Jx19" rear, than standard fitted which are: 235/25 ZR19 front and 265/30 ZR19 rear?

·
Registered
160 Posts
iufan993 said:
I can only comment on PS2. The big noticeable difference between the original Michelin Pilot Sport and the PS2 is road noise.
That's not quite true, as tires wear out, there is less rubber and rubber get hard and the ride is always less comfortable then a new set of tires. It's only fair to compare two different tires of similar age and wear. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I put a new set of Goodyear GSD F1s on my M5 and compared it to a car that had the OEM Michelin Pilot PS2s on it...the Pilots definitely had more grip and traction and seemed quieter to boot. I was really surprised because the ratings are all higher on the Goodyears and my friend who sells tires for a living said they'd be better too. I wonder if some tires work better on some cars than on others.

I need new tires now and I'm considering sticking with stock...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
Some people will make the argument that there are suspensions designed\tuned around particular tires. I've never seen real data to back it up, but it wouldn't surprise me.
That was my distinct impression, although we WERE talking about two different cars, so who knows what changes in 13k of hard driving.

That being said, I just ordered a set of PZero Neros, so we'll see. Aren't they OEM on the GS?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts