Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other cars does it compare to on the track? I am going to Paul Ricard in August and would like to know what I should be expecting. What are the GS N'Ring times? Other track times?

·
Registered
456 Posts
What other cars does it compare to on the track? I am going to Paul Ricard in August and would like to know what I should be expecting. What are the GS N'Ring times? Other track times?
The Paul Ricard circuit look like a great track with many options. You should have a great time. The Gransport is definitely fun to drive on the track and explore its limits. Don't worry about time, start out slow and concentrate on your lines, entry, and exits in the curves then work your way up in speed. If you have any video of the track, it can help to watch beforehand.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Do get the sport springs from FD, it'll help you post much better times ;)

Have a thrawl through ML for more info :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Paul Ricard circuit look like a great track with many options. You should have a great time. The Gransport is definitely fun to drive on the track and explore its limits. Don't worry about time, start out slow and concentrate on your lines, entry, and exits in the curves then work your way up in speed. If you have any video of the track, it can help to watch beforehand.

Well, I know, I've been to many tracks already. I am just looking for a ballpark figure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It should be faster than a 997 Carrera and a bit slower than a 997 Carrera S, I had a 2005 Gransport which had some serious electrical problems, I returned it and some months later I bought an used 2005 Carrera S which was a blast on the track. Enjoy the track you should have lots of fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think you can get a GS is street legal trim to under 8.00 on the 'Ring. Also I think Pilot Sport Cups 2 will be the mod that makes the most difference.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
1 minute? I don't think so Ali, that would be faster than a Pagani Zonda ...

Yeah, I know. I was being hyperbolic...

Though I think "7 minutes" would have been better... as "1 minute" just makes me seem stupid hahah.

I would actually say about 20-25 seconds with the whole setup...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not without some more serious tires. Also, the 'Ring is bumpy and high speed. I don't think that stiffer suspension will necessarily help.

·
Registered
518 Posts
bigger and stickier rubber is a great benefit on these cars...I am currently running a 295 rear and 255 front in the Yokohama ES100 leaps and bounds better then the goodyear that was on it when I got it.

Looking into some serious tracking next summer so plainning on fitting the new Pirelli PZero Corsa this winter

·
Registered
133 Posts
on the ring they seem to select the softer suspension settings because it's do damn bumpy. Over stock, I'd suggest tyres would see the biggest improvement on times, then brake pads & fluid.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes, tires then brakes and THEN power and suspension (which is already pretty sorted on the GS)
I'd reverse that order.

I found the suspension on both the GS and Coupe/ Spyders is too soft for any kind of serious (e.g. over 100 MPH) driving (unless you have balls you can carry in a wheelbarrow). It is way softer and underdamped than most middle of the road sport sedans or even sport compacts like a GTI - I found the body roll and boat like fore and aft bobbing to be scary. I put the FD springs on the car and it made a massive difference but still short of a 996/997 at high speeds. I am getting a set of larger anti sway bars that should close the gap.

The car is underpowered in stock trim. 390HP pushing almost 3700 lbs is nothing to brag about. The FD ECM plus exhaust mods will bring it up to 440HP - a soild improvement.

The brakes are actually not bad but I found they required lot of effort for high speed stops and were very difficult to modulate. I switched to FD pads and SS lines plus some Motul BR 600 and the improvement is noticeable - not state of the art but now adequate.

The grip on the stock Michelin Pilots far exceeds the spring's ability to keep the car under control - I wouldn't bother switching them until you fix the suspension.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The N'Ring is extremely bumpy, so are many roads. Suspension that is too stiff will slow you down. I've never heard of such a thing "the tires are too much for suspension." more grip = better times. For even if you have the best suspension and set-up possible, without good tires you would be going nowhere fast. Also, the extra power will NOT make as much difference as better tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The N'Ring is extremely bumpy, so are many roads. Suspension that is too stiff will slow you down. I've never heard of such a thing "the tires are too much for suspension." more grip = better times. For even if you have the best suspension and set-up possible, without good tires you would be going nowhere fast. Also, the extra power will NOT make as much difference as better tires.
Yup.. don't forget we are talking about the ring here guys.. it's REALLY bumpy & fast... you'll have problems if you either loose contact with the road (too hard) or hit the bump stops (too soft)

Oh & if I was on a mission to set the best times possible... weight saving would be on the cards - not that there's a lot unless you want to start losing trim but it's got enough power - the rest just needs optimising. All IMHO of course.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts