Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if keeping the gransport in sport mode all the time would have any kind of long term repurcussions, such as lower life span on any parts, clutch, susupension, exhaust system, etc? i know these things haven't been around long but was wondering if anyone encountered any issues by having it in sport mode all the time. i had this issue w/my benz a while back to the point i had to keep it on a soft suspension mode all the time since benz never did figure out the problem.

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Sly - you can search the forum to find that the consensus is that driving in Sport mode ALL the time is the best way to go to preserve clutch life as the clutch engages sooner ( you also get the glorious sound of your Tubi). On long trips where I'm cruising along and want to have a softer ride and more conversation, I take it out of sport mode.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
I am with Vincenzo. Sport mode should really be the default setting for the GS.
Sport mode should be the default for all 4200's. Driving out of sport mode wears out your clutch quicker.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Maserati Techs agree that sport mode leads to longer clutch life...

Common sense does too. The less the clutch slips, the longer it lasts...

I trust both the Maserati Techs and Common sense... so I leave it in sport.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Maserati Techs agree that sport mode leads to longer clutch life...

Common sense does too. The less the clutch slips, the longer it lasts...

I trust both the Maserati Techs and Common sense... so I leave it in sport.
lol, well, someone suggested empirical data is more valid than common sense.
so i m not here to argue.
i do like to see someone (who has such free time) to produce these empirical data and make it a fact.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i'd buy you a beer. haha.
i think i trust the collective wisdom of this forum and common sense of maserati owners, over empirical data on italian exotics.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Well, the reports from fellow ML users is empirical evidence, albeit a qualitative one and not quantitative.

·
5,887 Posts
I should clarify, I also believe that driving in sport/power mode is more friendly to the clutch than driving in regular mode. However, I just recognize my belief does not make it fact.

I doubt any casual user on this forum would have the time, resources, or desire to drive enough cars in a controlled way to really prove/disprove the notions that sport mode is easier/harder on the clutch and easier/harder on the transmission gears. Although, this sort of research on Italian sports cars would be tons of fun if we were racking up the miles on someone else's cars :D

None of this will stop me from driving in sport mode all the time. I like sport mode for the faster shifts. Any clutch wear benefits are certainly secondary in my case.

Now, if someone were able to prove/disprove accelerated transmission gear wear while using sport mode, that may change my driving habits.

Bigfoot, I suspect you already know qualitatve evidence and clutch wear can't go together :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
It'll be honestly hard to do such an extensive analysis Travis ;)

I know someone who's a Maserati insider in Italy, I can try to ask him but not sure if he can get me an answer since he's not on the technical side.

·
5,887 Posts
It'll be honestly hard to do such an extensive analysis Travis
It would most likely be prohibitively difficult to be worth anyone's time/money/effort. Again, I also believe driving in sport mode extends clutch life. Truthfully, either way it wouldn't change much in the real world. I was just suggesting we should avoid speaking in absolutes when we believe something to be true but do not know it to be true.

As an aside, I would be more interested in find out if sport mode accelerates transmission gear wear. Clutches are cheap compared to recutting gears.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It would most likely be prohibitively difficult to be worth anyone's time/money/effort. Again, I also believe driving in sport mode extends clutch life. Truthfully, either way it wouldn't change much in the real world. I was just suggesting we should avoid speaking in absolutes when we believe something to be true but do not know it to be true.

As an aside, I would be more interested in find out if sport mode accelerates transmission gear wear. Clutches are cheap compared to recutting gears.
I would be interested in finding out if anyone have to recut their gears for their CC transmission (driven in any mode, in the real world).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.