Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question here and need help from GS owners out there...

The GranSport I saw today seems to have a slight difference (passenger side vs. driver side) on its rear bumper. The passenger side opening looks to me it's missing the mesh that's present on the driver side opening. Please see pictures attached below. It was the first GS that I've looked at so I'm not sure if that mesh was missing or it was supposed to be like that from the factory. Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Something is wrong, its missing a grill and you might ask your self if the car was involved in a crash and they replaced the bumper but missed the grill...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Definitely should be mesh there. Interesting that the rear mesh on the same side of my GS is hanging loose (I just noticed). There must be an issue with the quality of whatever Maserati used to secure it to the bumper. I'm going to just try to hot glue it back in place.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey PKGS...... this is the MC Victory one correct?
What did you think about that car?

Yes, It was a MC Victory.

I was seriously considering that car since it's a MCV and somewhat local to
me. I went to check out that car in November.

Interior is stunning with black leather and light grey alcantara inserts and dash. No scuff and wear marks at all. Pictures don't do any justice for this car's interior at all. You'd have to see it in person to realize how beautiful this contrast interior really is. I'd give the interior a 9.9 out of 10. The 0.1 deduction was due to a single stitch that was pulled out from the alcantara pull handle on the passenger door. Otherwise, it's brand new as brand new gets.

Exterior is real clean and without any stone chips or door dings. Other than
that missing grill on passenger rear side, I'd easily give it a 9 out of 10. So I thought "oh, well, no big deal, right? It's just a missing grill...it can be replaced rather easily." But read on. I'll reveal the answer later...

In fact the only thing I didn't like about this car was those yellow calipers...but hey it's a MCV, I guess I can live with that.

So selling price was set and now all this car need was a clean PPI. Then I proceeded to arrange a PPI to be done at a very trusted shop. Just when everything was going so well and looking real good. It was disclosed to me that there is a possible history of rear frame damage. I'd say "WHAT? and WTF?" At that point, I didn't care how well the repairs are I turned around and ran.

It turns out that missing grill was a hint of things to come. I should have investigated more about that missing grill even before I committed myself to a PPI. As it turns out, another prior PPI was done at FM of Seattle back in August,2008 and the person who ordered the PPI had also inquired about that missing grill. FMofSeattle had commented on their report that the grill cannot be replaced as an individual piece. It's part of the entire rear bumper cover....go figure.:confused:

Oh, and one more thing I've learned from all this. Always check both CarFax AND AutoCheck for any used vehicle. In this case CarFax came back clean as a whistle....but sure enough AutoCheck cited a history of frame damage!!! So, if you don't mind all that...it's got a darn good price for a MCV I'd say...

Sorry about this long post...but since you asked...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
PKGS - a good lesson for all thinking about purchasing any marque. Easy to get lured in by price but, you've got to do your homework and make sure to not get emotionally attached beforehand.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It seems like Maserati Blue was spot on! :cool:

Do you guys have the link for the car's ad? I'm curious now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So selling price was set and now all this car need was a clean PPI. Then I proceeded to arrange a PPI to be done at a very trusted shop. Just when everything was going so well and looking real good. It was disclosed to me that there is a possible history of rear frame damage. I'd say "WHAT? and WTF?" At that point, I didn't care how well the repairs are I turned around and ran.

It turns out that missing grill was a hint of things to come. I should have investigated more about that missing grill even before I committed myself to a PPI. As it turns out, another prior PPI was done at FM of Seattle back in August,2008 and the person who ordered the PPI had also inquired about that missing grill. FMofSeattle had commented on their report that the grill cannot be replaced as an individual piece. It's part of the entire rear bumper cover....go figure.:confused:

Oh, and one more thing I've learned from all this. Always check both CarFax AND AutoCheck for any used vehicle. In this case CarFax came back clean as a whistle....but sure enough AutoCheck cited a history of frame damage!!! So, if you don't mind all that...it's got a darn good price for a MCV I'd say...

Thanks for the detailed report. I was actually looking at that same MCV as well. This helps me avoid the trip down to San Diego to check it out for myself !!!

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The interior looks a little bit funky... It's too expensive for that color combo + frame damage. IMO

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes, It was a MC Victory.

I was seriously considering that car since it's a MCV and somewhat local to
me. I went to check out that car in November.

Interior is stunning with black leather and light grey alcantara inserts and dash. No scuff and wear marks at all. Pictures don't do any justice for this car's interior at all. You'd have to see it in person to realize how beautiful this contrast interior really is. I'd give the interior a 9.9 out of 10. The 0.1 deduction was due to a single stitch that was pulled out from the alcantara pull handle on the passenger door. Otherwise, it's brand new as brand new gets.

Exterior is real clean and without any stone chips or door dings. Other than
that missing grill on passenger rear side, I'd easily give it a 9 out of 10. So I thought "oh, well, no big deal, right? It's just a missing grill...it can be replaced rather easily." But read on. I'll reveal the answer later...

In fact the only thing I didn't like about this car was those yellow calipers...but hey it's a MCV, I guess I can live with that.

Thanks for the answer. I myself did all the investigating as you have.... and then some. :D
I dug so deep on this car, that I found the original dealer from Seattle that bought that car at auction back in the summer, and had it sold once to a private guy (which fell through after he delivered it back to california).
He then sold it at auction to the current dealer that has the car.

The current dealer sent me 17 pages of info/documents on the car at my request. Included in all of this was a document from a body shop back in Washington. I called the body shop and gave them the RO#. Turns out it was brought to them by the first dealer and put on a machine that Ferrari/Maserati recommended them to take it to. They told me the frame checked out fine according to specs.

This had me wanting the car...... but that Autocheck record had me worried. I mean it would be very difficult to ever sell this car if I wanted to at a later date.

So I dig further. Found out it was a repo on top of all this, and find out who the one and only owner was. Some Doctor in Cali.
I found his phone# by digging deeper, and left him a voice message asking to return my call...... can't blame me for trying!

I was hoping to find out from him himself wether the car had ever been hit.

The first dealer that bought it said the bank had the auction list it with "frame damage" just to sell it and be done with it since the Dr. owed over 80k on it.
That just didn't make any sense to me, so here I am today... still searching for "that" car. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first dealer that bought it said the bank had the auction list it with "frame damage" just to sell it and be done with it since the Dr. owed over 80k on it.
Wow, that' pretty impressive with some serious digging there. ;)

I was told somewhat the same type of answer about insurance company or bank list the car as "frame damage" by mistake instead. I also obtained a copy of that report from the body/frame shop and clearly there were values/numbers indicating some significant frame discrepancies. Something just doesn't smell right there. At that point, I lost all interest in this car and just walked away.

Wish you best of luck on your search for "that" car. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts