Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are spare tires a $4000 option on these cars? my car doesn't have one (i'm 2nd owner) - thx

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have one. It is a full size spare (16" rim with an uninflated higher profile tire that inflates to the equivilant of the OEM 18" rim/ tire diameter). There is a small compressor kit provided to inflate it.

It is certainly a "nice to have" but it sits at a 45 degree angle in the trunk meaning about 20% of the avaialble trunk space (which is very small to begin with) is used up by the spare. Because it protrudes up, there is no real way to cover it as far as I can tell.

It is definately not worth anything close to $4K. A can of sealant and AAA is a lot cheaper. I suggest you stay clear of run flats (heavy, expensive, bad ride, and you will need new wheels).

·
Registered
793 Posts
---I suggest you stay clear of run flats (heavy, expensive, bad ride, and you will need new wheels).

I second that! And stay away from the Bridgestone's.

The worst tire I ever experienced. They came OEM on my 530i. Took those off for PS2's: noise level dropped dramatically, handling greatly improved, and fuel mileage jumped up 2.5 mpg +!

You don't need spare tires. I don't have one on my 360!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
probably good idea to get a can of fix-a-flat and tow the car if i ever get a flat. i have the air compressor in my trunk. my worry is the wheels...i can easily see a flat causing a bend/crack in the wheel ...

thx guys

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a compressor for $40 and a generic jack for $35. I also bought a repair kit for $10. All fit in the spare tire space under the cover. If you have those items you should be able to repair a flot yourself with no problem. I would stay away from the stuff that comes in a can and once you use it the repair shop will not fix your flat because it can explode with a spark. I used it before on other car and none of the tire shops wanted to deal with it...

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you do buy the stuff in the can, make sure you buy the type that says it is nonflammable and will not explode. There is also some "permanent" liquid sealant you can put in a deflated tire by the name of Run-on or something like that, heard about it online from a Porsche guy. It's commonly used in industrial applications. These won't fix a blowout from a pothole though.

I bought a compressor for $40 and a generic jack for $35. I also bought a repair kit for $10. All fit in the spare tire space under the cover. If you have those items you should be able to repair a flot yourself with no problem. I would stay away from the stuff that comes in a can and once you use it the repair shop will not fix your flat because it can explode with a spark. I used it before on other car and none of the tire shops wanted to deal with it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Spare Wheel Kit

I looked for a spare wheel kit when I first got my 02 Coupe last year. A new kit runs about $2000. I carry a plug in air compressor, tire plug set and the standard can of sticky stuff. The day I get a serious blow out, I will wish I'd spent the 2 grand....meanwhile I pray.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.