Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I apologize for being absent for the past few days. A family emergency popped up and took priority. All is well.

As far as the GranSport goes, I was extremely anxious to see it this past Thursday night. It arrived at the dealership Wednesday night. I guess there were a few on the truck as I found out later they dropped a Nero one at Cauley Maserati in Detroit that same day.

The car was in the service area and as I walked towards the door that would allow me to see if for the first time I had that excited/nervous feeling in my gut. The dealer told me its been drawing a crowd all day. My dealer doesn’t have even a Maserati sign up yet and the Maserati building is not complete so there selling cars out of the Mercedes dealership. The dealer said an SL55 customer was really eyeing it over, guess maybe he should have spent his $120K on something else!!

Call it over the top, but Italian cars are very passionate and hours of wasting away on the internet over pictures to search for answers was about to end. All these months of asking everyone which color looks best, given I never seen it myself in person, were finally going to be answered with my own judgement. I opened the door to the service garage and WOW!! My first impression was boy is this car aggressive looking. Although it shares so much with the regular coupe, it has a totally different personality with its little aerodynamic tweaks. I swear the front looks noticeably wider than the regular coupe. I’m sure the #’s say otherwise, but it looks at least an inch wider. Its lowered stance turns this clean lined, classy coupe into a purposeful sports car. The rear of the car really looks low. The side sills fit very nicely. Many pictures of the GranSport’s side sills look like they extend out incredibly far, but in reality their sized perfectly. Pictures don’t do the car justice.

The mercury grey rims I thought would look like regular rims coated with brake dust. They weren’t my first choice, but surprisingly I liked them. They fit with the aggressiveness of the car. Up close they have a high gloss to them; they are not a flat finish. The light colored aluminum brakes match with the interior when looking at the car from a whole.

The Nero paint has a lot of metallic flecks in it. The paint looks very rich looking. I figured with any dark black colored paint you would loose the lines of the car and again I was proven wrong. Nothing gets lost with the black paint; the beautiful lines are ever present.

The interior I was told was the dark gray, but it came in with light gray. Another surprise that I thought I wouldn’t like and I did. I guess with the uniqueness these cars bring to the table with different textures and color combinations, you have to seem them in person, because the light gray looks great against the black leather.

Now it was time to turn over the key for a quick run on the highway. The blue push button start hit and the engine was turned over. The car is loud in a droning way at start up. My 328GTB is the same way on start up, you just hear deep bass-like hum for the lack of a better way of describing it. You feel the vibration in your chest. Being inside helped as the noise just reverberated throughout the garage.

As I drove away, I immediately put the windows down to hear the car. Keep in mind it was about high 30’s low 40 degrees fahrenheit that night, but who cares when you want to hear the engine and exhaust!!! I put it into “sport” mode and the exhaust immediately became a little deeper and louder and I was just crawling out of the dealership lot. The ride was very firm and you can tell made for the track, but not brutally hard to the point of making the car feel choppy on the bumps (it wasn’t the greatest of roads I was driving on). It absorbs the bumps well, but on bad streets pushing the sport button off is the way to go.

I get on the highway and open it up a little bit and the biggest thing that probably impressed me the most technical wise was how fast the car shifts in sport mode in comparison to non-sport mode. Its truly night and day. Whats most impressive are the downshifts and how you hear the revs jump up so fast in the engine in front of you accompanied by a short, fast series of pops in back of you coming out of the exhaust. Anytime you lift off the throttle you hear the pops too. Its pure race car at its best. It sounds like exhaust gases are literally exploding out of the pipes. It pops very forcefully.

I didn’t go crazy with the car, but the torque and power seems endless. I only gunned it a few times and the car was over 100mph very quickly. It a fast, linear delivery, not a snap your neck delivery from what I could tell, but like I said, I didn’t go nuts with the car the first drive. The car is very docile under 3000 revs but over 3000 it becomes a different car all together.

The bottom line is I’m ecstatic with this car. There is a lot to learn with this car driving wise to push its limits. Its really 2 different personalities and I hope to experience the meaner side very soon, but it might have to wait till next year as there will be very few good driving days left. Snow is already in the forecast the end of this week.

The pictures didn't turn out that great but I have a few. They're too big to download them to this site. I'm not an expert but is there a trick to reducing the size. Otherwise I can send them to somebody who can reduce them and post them? Each picture is about 2MB.

Phil
8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Too cool! The car sounds great, can't wait to see it.

We should make that happen -- we're only about 30 minutes from each other (I'm at 77/18 at Montrose/Bath). I've never seen ONE other Maserati on the road, much less a Gran Sport.

You must be working with the new dealer on the Bedford Auto Mile. I stopped by the Mercedes dealership when I heard they were taking on Maserati. While I love the folks at MAG in Columbus, I'd much rather drive 40 minutes than 2 hours!

It would be cool to compare the difference in exhaust note. We have a set of Tubi's on our Spyder. Sounds like the Gran Sport has something quite similar right from the factory.

Have fun trying to sleep tonight -- I wonder how many times you'll head down to the garage to take another look... :)

Brad

·
Registered
252 Posts
Congratulations on car and am looking forward to pictures, Have you tried using a Photo resize program like this http://www.showyourphotos.com/photoresizer_free.html
Your exhaust sounds as good as a Tubi. I know mine is killing my gas mileage as I love giving it the gas then letting off quickly just to hear all those pops. Hopefully you can get in some decent driving time before winter sets in. Also am wondering if dealer gave anything off of list price? Found it a nice surprise getting a car I really wanted at less than MSRP

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a GT so can really make some very cool sounds but will probably fry my clutch at some point. I would like to hear from people here what they are getting for gas mileage, just about all my miles are city and am averaging a little over 8 mpg.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Phil,

Fantastic news about the gransport. I would love to see pics. put them on ofoto or some equivalent. Sounds like it is living up to your expectations. At the ferrari/maserati showroom opening, the marketing people told me that the gransport has more than 400hp and that they do not want to advertise that to take away from the qporte and the outgoing 360. He reckons it has 425 to 430hp! And it feels that way in back to back comparisons vs the standard coupe. My favorite is the crakling of the exhaust when you let go of the throttle. My car is at the port and I am awaiting delivery within 2 weeks. Can't wait.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Bimbo,

Thanks for hosting these.

Phil,

Great looking car, I'm guessing you are never leaving hence the absence from here. I don't blame you. Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Andrew
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing