Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a Gransport Exhaust/Mufflers fit my '02 Coupe?
I've been told that the factory Gransport system would be an upgrade to my '02's system. Is this correct?

Looking for a slight change in my exhaust setup without breaking the bank. Maybe just straight pipes in place of the resonators? Would this yield a slight change in tone and performance?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Straight pipes in place of the resonator will kill power... You need an X-Pipe.

Call Jeff and get the Larini X-pipe. It will increase volume and give a slightly different sound... and it will add about 10 hp too :D

I would suggest that you get the mufflers though...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Straight pipes in place of the resonator will kill power... You need an X-Pipe.

Call Jeff and get the Larini X-pipe. It will increase volume and give a slightly different sound... and it will add about 10 hp too :D

I would suggest that you get the mufflers though...
I see right after the resonators the factory system branches into an x-pipe.
I was thinking about just removing the factory resonators but leaving the factory x-pipe intact. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think I'm confused. I see 2 large cylinders up in front of the exhaust system..
Are those cats or resonators?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Those are cats. The resonator is immediatly after it... looks sort of like the butterfly needle used for blood tests and the such.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are cats. The resonator is immediatly after it... looks sort of like the butterfly needle used for blood tests and the such.
Oh, I see it.
It looks like aftermarket x-pipes just add tubing from the cats directly to the "x" section, thus removing the huge resonator. Why can't I just have this done at an exhaust shop?

Sorry, if these sound like dumb questions. Just learning. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I guess you could, but the resonator + X that comes stock is very poorly designed... The larini (or any other pipe for that matter) is tuned and made of better material too ;]

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
The stock down flow side of the resonator has an x-pipe on the end - the x-pipe piece and resonator you see are the same part. You could cut the xpipe section off the end of the resonator and add straight pipe back to the cats. I don't think the x-pipe is a poor design -just a different design than Larini (full x rather than a melded x-pipe) and much more similar to Fabspeed. In the end you would probably save a few bucks cutting and welding but I don't think anyone really knows what the sound and power changes would be. If I had the equipment and time I would try it just to see and for fun. In the end it would be easier to just pull the resonator and install an x-pipe. Takes about 30 minutes start/finish.

Now, I have the Larini mufflers and x-pipe and love the sound, but for my taste they are just too loud for everyday use. I love them on the highway and when I'm in the mood to have fun and drive aggressive. But when I'm pulling up at an event or driving around town, they are too loud and draw too much attention - for me. I've been looking for options to somehow tone it down a bit. If not, I may be putting them up for sale and putting the GS stock mufflers in - and leaving the Larini x-pipe.

Oh, I see it.
It looks like aftermarket x-pipes just add tubing from the cats directly to the "x" section, thus removing the huge resonator. Why can't I just have this done at an exhaust shop?

Sorry, if these sound like dumb questions. Just learning. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Ramp: if you are interested in a "quiet" mode in your set-up, Kreissig makes an exhaust system for the Coupe/GS that offers an electronically controlled (via remote) "off" function to reduce the noise. It is a rather expensive piece of kit though.

Also, another Japanese tuner, Bertocchi, who currently offers their own x-pipe (melded from what I can tell) and muffler or our cars, is working on a fully integrated system which activates more noise (power?) when pressing the Sport button and having it quieter when off Sport. Last time I asked, they had no definite ETA for that though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what would be the sound increase when removing the resonator and leaving the factory 4200gt mufflers?
I guess x-pipe w/ stock mufflers would be the same thing right? Sound wise.

Looking for a slight increase. But nothing obnoxious.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
So what would be the sound increase when removing the resonator and leaving the factory 4200gt mufflers?
I guess x-pipe w/ stock mufflers would be the same thing right? Sound wise.

Looking for a slight increase. But nothing obnoxious.
It is louder but not all that much - I tried that first and was not satisfied with the sound. Then I added the Larini mufflers - great sound, just too loud for everyday, for me.

Big Foot - I'll check them out - thanks. Ideally, I think Larini should offer the "Stealth" mode as an option. For them, to install a butterfly valve in one of each of the two exhaust tips should not be difficult or expensive. I'm looking to see if I can find a way to have one built

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is louder but not all that much - I tried that first and was not satisfied with the sound. Then I added the Larini mufflers - great sound, just too loud for everyday, for me.

Big Foot - I'll check them out - thanks. Ideally, I think Larini should offer the "Stealth" mode as an option. For them, to install a butterfly valve in one of each of the two exhaust tips should not be difficult or expensive. I'm looking to see if I can find a way to have one built

Did it end up sounding strange or something?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I removed the rear mufflers (under the trunk) and replaced them with straight pips. The sound is nice and deep but not overly loud from the inside of the car.
Ron:)
so you left the resonator and removed the rear mufflers. It seems like that would make it unbearable. hmmm interesting.
Any sound clips? Underside shots?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
GS Mufflers will fit the coupe, the switch has to be wired up to allow the valve to work, it's not much louder than the stock coupe, the tone is also very similar. It would be appropriate for someone who wants the ability to get a little extra volume over stock and a valve to turn it on or off.

The Larini offers a much more dynamic sound, it really does unleash the sound of the Ferrari V8 under the hood. When combined with the X-pipe, it may be a bit too loud for some drivers.

Unfortunately, adding the valve is actually difficult, there really is not an off the shelf, known good quality valve ( that doesn't leak, causing poor noise ) that is consistantly available for production in the right sizes, etc. Also there is very little space to get the right result. In all reality to get a proper product, the mufflers would need to be redesigned to properly redirect the flow.

Larini is looking into producing an HP X-pipe that will be a bit quieter. The product was really being developed in order to quiet exhausts for customers with de-cats or sport cats installed, however it should work in this case as well.

The Kreissig and Bertochi do offer a valve however are multiples more expensive than the Larini.

I think for most customers the easy bolt on, reasonably priced Larini is the best option. If the quieter X-pipe does reach the market ( or a similar solution ) it really should be the perfect setup.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GS Mufflers will fit the coupe, the switch has to be wired up to allow the valve to work, it's not much louder than the stock coupe, the tone is also very similar. It would be appropriate for someone who wants the ability to get a little extra volume over stock and a valve to turn it on or off.

The Larini offers a much more dynamic sound, it really does unleash the sound of the Ferrari V8 under the hood. When combined with the X-pipe, it may be a bit too loud for some drivers.

Unfortunately, adding the valve is actually difficult, there really is not an off the shelf, known good quality valve ( that doesn't leak, causing poor noise ) that is consistantly available for production in the right sizes, etc. Also there is very little space to get the right result. In all reality to get a proper product, the mufflers would need to be redesigned to properly redirect the flow.

Larini is looking into producing an HP X-pipe that will be a bit quieter. The product was really being developed in order to quiet exhausts for customers with de-cats or sport cats installed, however it should work in this case as well.

The Kreissig and Bertochi do offer a valve however are multiples more expensive than the Larini.

I think for most customers the easy bolt on, reasonably priced Larini is the best option. If the quieter X-pipe does reach the market ( or a similar solution ) it really should be the perfect setup.

Do you have any input on removing the stock resonator and leaving everything as is? Sound wise? Performance wise?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
How are you suggesting to remove the resonator?

Replacing with an HP X-pipe? or are you speaking about welding in a straight pipe?

I would say that a quality X-pipe is the way to go. The Larini is built well and designed for performance. Straight pipes would cost you HP and just really aren't the way to treat a Maserati.

In regards to volume, by removing the center resonator the volume will increase however it isn't as much as you think because the rear mufflers are still very restrictive.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
New Larini X-pipe

Hi Guys, Great News on the Exhaust Front. I've confirmed with Larini that they are developing and will soon offer a HP X-pipe with a quieter volume level for those that wish to have that. The mufflers will be unaffected and really are not the cause of the problem, in fact the mufflers are what provides that tone that you enjoy so much.

These guys are great to work with and really do care about the Maserati enthusiasts here in the USA. I have a set for testing on order and will let you know the results!

Regards,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts