Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am looking for some advice!

I have a March 2006 Gransport which has 9200 miles on the clock - after leaving it into the dealership for a airbag replacement they mentioned the clutch was 74.5% used - and for a replacement and fitting the cost will be £1050 (about 2,000 USD) they refuse to replace it under warranty as they say it is normal wear and tear - is this normal and is the price about right for a clutch replacement ?

Thanks
Phil

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Price is about right, that's early (but not unheard of) for clutch wear. Has the car been driven a lot in "automatic" mode? For future wear avoidance, always use "Sport" mode...

Also, the wear indicator isn't always accurate, so you could also opt to take your chances and wait until it starts to slip, though some indications are that when it goes, it goes completely and you could be stranded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick - is clutch replacement for a car just over 1 year old not covered under the warranty? (the car has 90% been driven in sport mode)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Really hard to say. Some people have haggled successfully and worked out a deal/discount on early clutch replacements. I'm sure I'd try if it was my car, unless I had really driven the p!ss out of it.

The price sounded pretty good compared to what some others have paid, maybe they can compromise a bit on the shop rate or cut you a break on your 12500 service.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My August/2006 GranSport has 11K miles. At the latest service they said the clutch was at 25-30% wear. I live in flat Florida, 99% sport mode...but there is a lot of traffic stop and go.
Maybe a second opinion?

·
Registered
242 Posts
9K sounds pretty quick for clutch a replacement. I was just in for a service and was told the newer cars (later model years) have changes to parts and software that have improved clutch life and to expect a change only around 25-30K miles. You might want to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
£1050 is very cheap My local dealer JCT600 Leeds quoted £1750 which includes 10 hours labour and vat.

Also reading the posts on this board some guys in the states pay $5000!

So I would say thats a bargine!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Phil,

My GS is now on 23,000 Miles and have had it new since March 2005. The clutch was replaced under warranty at 21,000 miles by the dealer. I had a problem with the gearbox wrt selecting gears and they decided to replace the clutch at the same time. Please note that the clutch was only 22% worn after 21,000 miles and did not need replacing. I think they did this out of goodwill as in the 1st 12 months, it had a multitude of problems and I was pretty understanding and worked with them on ironing the problems out. So I had a good relationship with the service team and they looked after me massivley.

I have heard of other clutches being replaced after just 5,000 miles. I have a lot of experience with sequential race/rally clutch/gearboxes and clutch wear is purely a factor of how much load * duration is being placed on the clutch at any one point in time. Driving in sport mode does indeed help the logevity of the clutch.

There is indeed a certainly way of driving these machines that will ensure minimal clutch wear.

Stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts