Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to upgrade the audio in my Gransport and document the process for others.

Step one today was bypassing the "upgraded" Auditorium 200 amplifier. To my amazement, audio quality actually IMPROVED by doing this and relying on the built-in amplifier of the Becker head unit. I'm still going to proceed with the rest of the upgrade, but if anyone else is interested in trying this (30 mins work) I would love to hear if you found the same?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was thinking about bypassing mine as well. You mention there being an inexpensive adapter to reinstall an aftermarket amp (I was thinking a Bluetooth enabled one ideally), do you have a link to buy the adapter?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

NOTE: I haven’t actually tried these to see how well they work.

And to clarify, this is just adding Bluetooth to your stock head unit. This isn’t a new amp.

Or do you mean the harness for the auditorium? This is just the stock Maserati part (part number on the page)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts

NOTE: I haven’t actually tried these to see how well they work.

And to clarify, this is just adding Bluetooth to your stock head unit. This isn’t a new amp.

Or do you mean the harness for the auditorium? This is just the stock Maserati part (part number on the page)

Ahhh. Since I have the regular 4200 (not a GS) the head unit and screen seem to be harder to deal with. I have the auditorium system and found the amp. I was thinking maybe you had an adapter to put an aftermarket amp in place of the stock one. I’ve heard it isn’t a standard amp connection.

·
Registered
430 Posts
To my amazement, audio quality actually IMPROVED by doing this and relying on the built-in amplifier of the Becker head unit.
The core of the amplifier is a TDA1562Q monolithic IC, with a rather obscene (even for the time) 10% Total Harmonic Distortion. It is loud, but not clear. The speaker upgrade would've been the entire improvement in sound. The Auditorium upgrade wasn't standard on the GS and was still an ordered item. The speakers have a plastic (stiffer) cone instead of the paper cone. I'm going to replace my setup as well. I was planning on doing the speakers, and utilising the amplifier's original mounting position for a new amp. By sheer coincidence I saw a car with this exact same setup recently - it had the Auditorium upgrade, but had the amp removed and replaced with something better, I can't say if it had the speakers upgraded though.

Now the improvement when I bypassed my amplifier... I can do you one better...

Well, my car had a history of small electrical issues. Burnt out window switches and regulators, the paddle shift switches didn't work, popping and ticking through the speakers, some speakers working inconsistently, two head units had been burnt out, unable to shift up or down, random codes through all the control units. It turns out that it was the Amplifier throwing random power surges through the car. I bypassed it and it has been working fine since then.

·
Registered
249 Posts
On my 2004 Coupe, the Auditorium upgrade is a substantial improvement. I had the power amp out once long ago when it failed and was replaced. The sound quality without the amp was far inferior. As for 10% THD, I simply do not believe it for my amp. The stereo sounds fine, especially with the Loudlink bluetooth connection to my iphone. So my experience is very different from yours. Maybe they changed the setup in the Gransport. Good luck with your upgrade!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Second part covering the head unit replacement —

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ha! I was having some electronic gremlins so I turned the power off and let her sleep for the night. Suddenly all my radio issues have disappeared!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Tarun,
This is quite timely as the Auditorium amp in my 2006 GS Spyder just died after some other dealer maintenance (which may or may not be causative). The very useful part of this for me is that you indicate that the car is cabled such that you can simply unplug two amp connectors and plug them together to bypass the amp. I had previously installed an aftermarket Pioneer head unit (different from yours) as described in my earlier posts on that topic from many years ago in this forum.

It's unclear from the description whether your car is a coupe or Spyder, but I will note that at least for my car (Spyder), the amp appears to be located on the left side, forward of the Becker CD changer unit. My car also has the Skyhook dampers, and the control unit for that is mounted above the CD changer, making access to the amp even more "interesting". I suspect that I will have to pull the interior trunk panels at minimum to get to it.

Another difference: the relay boxes immediately above the battery in your car are actually further buried in the wheel well on mine, so the battery is effectively unencumbered, making it easy to pull that out.

I tried stuffing my iPhone in past the CD changer to get some video, and I do see what appears to be the amp with cooling fins, but the angles and interfering parts made it difficult to get a good view. I'm going to use a USB inspection camera to verify my amplifier placement, and will follow up as I get more information.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the amp is on the other side for Spyders. Sorry I don't have one to show exactly where.

Martin, The photo you gave there doesn't look like the amp. It should have green connectors and the case is a large heat sink.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I will go have another look. I just assumed a box bolted on the top of the CD changer would be the amp!
Yeah its the skyhook ECU.

From the parts diagram it looks like the amp should be forward of the CD changer on its own bracket and standing vertically.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts