Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i love to see it and drive it!
unfortunately the majority of members of the board are owners of the giugiaro designed coupe/spyder/gs. Maserati's approach to the GT doesn't really seem to excite them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got to see the Gran Turismo on Thursday & Friday AGAIN :)
Car is BEATIFUL, better in person, this car will be the best selling Maserati.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
i love to see it and drive it!
unfortunately the majority of members of the board are owners of the giugiaro designed coupe/spyder/gs. Maserati's approach to the GT doesn't really seem to excite them.
I think once the GranSport version comes out that will change.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The GT is the "girly man" of the maseratis if you ask me. It is fully-auto ONLY, I confirmed this with my dealer. NOT Cambio, NOT manual, ONLY AUTO. It may look different for now, but once the new-look effect wears off its gonna be Maserati's try to become more popular and acceptable with the general public.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The GT is the "girly man" of the maseratis if you ask me. It is fully-auto ONLY, I confirmed this with my dealer. NOT Cambio, NOT manual, ONLY AUTO. It may look different for now, but once the new-look effect wears off its gonna be Maserati's try to become more popular and acceptable with the general public.
The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky look pretty good too (girly man). Buy one of those!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Read this in the New York Times...

Introduced on Thursday: Maserati GranTurismo

Is it real? As certain to go into production as Giada De Laurentiis is to pronounce GranTurismo with a sudden Italian accent.

What's the point? The previous Maserati Coupe was the dowdy sibling of the comely Quattroporte, and there's something wrong when your sedan is hotter than your coupe. The GranTurismo restores the natural order of things with sinuous bodywork that does justice to the Maserati name.

What they said: According to James Selwa, president and chief executive of Maserati North America, the GranTurismo design is "powerful, elegant, understated and graceful -- a modern interpretation of timeless style."

What they didn't say: Maserati needs more volume, and it's betting on the GranTurismo to help deliver a sales upswing. It's interesting how the company phrases sales results in its literature, declaring that for 2006 "5,700 vehicles were delivered to the sales network." And how many of those 5,700 vehicles delivered to the sales network are still sitting in showrooms around the world?

What makes it tick? That sharklike hood hides a 405-horsepower Ferrari-built V-8 (key stat: the engine doesn't hit its horsepower peak until a screaming 7,100 r.p.m.). It also ditches the Coupe's balky sequential manual transmission in favor of a conventional six-speed automatic, a nod to the fact that this segment is more concerned with luxury and refinement than it is with outright racetrack speed. Top speed is 177 mph, and 0-60 takes 5.1 seconds. And though the BMW M6 might be faster, you can't get one with fitted Ferragamo luggage.

How much, how soon? Umm more than $100,000, but less than a Bentley? We'll know for sure when the GranTurismo, first shown at the Geneva auto show, arrives in the United States this fall.

How's it look? A million times better than the previous Maserati Coupe. All the curves of the old car are amped up here -- more arch in the fenders, more grace in the roofline. It's a design that says, "I bought a Maserati because of the way it looks, not in spite of it."

Nasty man trashing my beautiful Coupe :mad:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey, this guy will even knock Giada De Laurentiis! Why should we believe him??

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have not seen the new Gran Tourismo in person. I do not think it has been in L.A. yet, but i could be wrong.

I am told that the car approaches the size of the 612 Scaglietti. If that is the case, I will pull the trigger on the 612. If they come out with a GS version with manual or CC transmission, I could see it, but in its current release, it's not going to replace my GS.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i agree,

i think i have said this in the past. the car is a new slower version of the current car. don't get me wrong i LOVE the styling of the new cope, but it really shows that the passion and soul of maserati was overshadowed by business execs.

a new generation car can't come with:

a)the SAME engine, just added an updated chip and component to fit the AT
b) and probably the biggest is a slower shifting auto tran. and no option of a manual or CC.
c)i have not read about the suspension, but i wouldn't be surprised if my car can pull more G's that the new cope.

i want to think that they took a page of the Porsche book and want to make money and sell more car so that they later will come out with a better FASTER and Stiffer version of the car.

my question still remains. Why buy a car that is slower, less sporty, and with automatic transition, just because it new?

that said i know that probably the biggest selling market will be my home town (L.A.). this town is so focused on looks that i can see it now. all the wanabee producers and execs will LEASE one of these car just because it is "in"(or because paris hilton one's showed her not so privet parts coming out of one). i fear that the bently GT syndrome will happen to us.

i am dreading the day the hip-hop/raper starts to take interest, and puts one car next to a big putt bikini lady and starts driving the car like he know who to drive. not that theres any thing wrong with "big butts" or "bikinis" or "ladies". i happen to like all 3 and even better when they are together.

only time will tell...

getting back to the car, i personally know that the copes of many in this forum that have been Mod. can and will out handle, out brake, out corner, and beet the acceleration time of the NEW car.

-willie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts