Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gran Turismo "sizzling"

Small but annoying problem...

I have been driving my new Gran Turismo for about 3 weeks, weather is hot and AC running much of the time....

As we know, when you park or let car(s) stand with air on, the air-conditioning condensation liquid is discharged... That annoying puddle of water under all cars... (not sure of the exact term for this)

The issue is: that in my case, it does not go directly to the ground or garage floor, but rather hits the "hot" exhaust system first and "sizzles".

It sounds like bacon is being fried under the car when it sits with AC on... , or after use...

Is this normal, I have a hard time believing that it would be designed this way ??

Thanks ...

·
Registered
431 Posts
sounds like a design fault. Could be remedied by attaching a piece of wire with strong glue to the ac dryer? so that water is diverted away from hot exhaust and falls to floor.
good luck

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
I've heard this from two owners so far... they said it's actually quite loud. You can create your own workaround or better yet, just contact the dealer, I'm sure they'll plan on fixing it once they know it's a problem.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Car Piddle...

That's what it's called... Car Piddle..

·
Registered
56 Posts
same thing I noticed !!!

I noticed the same "sizzling" sound from my GT. So far it did not bother me but I will call my dealer now!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sizzle.. Sizzle

The annoying part is that if you stop to talk to someone, and they are looking at the car, that is right when it will happen (at idle)

kind of like stopping with your dog, only to have your doggy take a leak on your friends leg.........ha

I will also let dealer know..... (it is most loud in garage)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Long-term, wouldn't this potentially be a problem - causing the metal to flake, rust, or otherwise breakdown & weaken?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just talked to the dealer - statement: It is deliberately designed like this! The idea is to reduce the amount of spilling liquid with prior evaporation!

The parts in direct contact with, are made of aluminum so they are not supposed to be affected with rust etc.

Several Alfa models do have the same "design", ... that's what the dealer said! ... but I'm not really convinced, we will see. :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmmmmmmmmm

sounds crazy.... if it is a "great design" why do ALL cars not "boil the water on the way down" ?

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
Doesn't it still leave a puddle? or does it actually boil it all away...

Bad Design and maybe just some creative thinking on the part of the dealer...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still leaves a puddle...

the normal amount is still left on ground... only a small amount is fried on the way down which makes me think it is NOT a proper design....

any body have any other input ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have this same problem with my new 2011 GT-S. It sizzles and leaves a small puddle that turns to a white residue on the ground. Pretty annoying. Is this really a design feature of the car?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Not normal. As others said, call the dealer. Under warranty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It is as "normal" as it is "common".

Dealer was familiar and said it was the condensate that was hitting the hot exhaust.

I don't know if it is causing any damage, but it does sound funny...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same happens with mine. Only has happened in the last few hotter months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had a listen to my Maser when I parked it in the garage earlier today after a ride with the air conditioning on.

Sound of 'sizzling eggs' was obvious after I got out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had a listen to my Maser when I parked it in the garage earlier today after a ride with the air conditioning on.

Sound of 'sizzling eggs' was obvious after I got out.
I've heard the same sound. Will check with my dealer as well when it goes in for a service.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This sizzle and water puddle is driving me nuts. Anyone have a solution for this? Anyone have success with the dealer fixing the problem? My dealer says it is normal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ask the dealer if they are going to replace the exhaust manifold (or whatever the cold water is hitting) when it fails due to thermal stress of quenching hot metal with cold water, even if after the warrantee wears out. This method of quenching will embrittle metal, leading to cracking. To have them say it is normal is bull shit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts