Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Part 1: So I'm looking at a 2015 MC right now. I love the car, it's a beautiful red and overall looks really nice. However, the hood is customized so it is just carbon fiber. I personally think it looks a little tacky since it isn't the same color as the rest of the car. Do you guys have any idea roughly how much it would cost to get it changed back to match the rest of the car? Like is this a few hundred bucks or more like thousands of dollars?
Part 2: I was originally looking at a 2016 MC, but this 2015 is local and much cheaper. Are there any major differences from 2015 to 2016 for the MC in regards to design or reliability?
Thanks for all of your help already, you guys have really helped me with the buying process!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Hi guys!
Part 1: So I'm looking at a 2015 MC right now. I love the car, it's a beautiful red and overall looks really nice. However, the hood is customized so it is just carbon fiber. I personally think it looks a little tacky since it isn't the same color as the rest of the car. Do you guys have any idea roughly how much it would cost to get it changed back to match the rest of the car? Like is this a few hundred bucks or more like thousands of dollars?
Part 2: I was originally looking at a 2016 MC, but this 2015 is local and much cheaper. Are there any major differences from 2015 to 2016 for the MC in regards to design or reliability?
Thanks for all of your help already, you guys have really helped me with the buying process!
I'm guessing to get as close to a perfect paint match, that carbon fiber hood has to go. Which obviously means you need to purchase an original hood, then have it painted. I'm thinking more like in the thousands, not hundreds of dollars. Even if the carbon fiber hood can be sanded and painted, it's still going to surpass the hundreds of dollars mark.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you sure its an actual carbon fiber hood and not just a wrap over it? Is it an MC hood with the hood scoop and vents?

The reason I ask is because the real mc hood with vents is way more expensive then the stock hood so its even more weird the owner would have switched it out...

But regardless the easiest thing to do would be to just have the carbon hood painted once you have the car as I dont think it would be any issue for a body shop probably 500-1k. (depending on where you live and how busy they are. )

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
157 Posts
Hi guys!
Is it this one?

Nice!! That's a factory OEM carbon hood, and a Centennial edition MC, although it's not mentioned in the description. Shouldn't be a problem color matching. But yes...between high hundreds, low thousands to paint it. Want to trade for a 2 scoop OEM aluminum hood if hesitant about painting carbon fiber? 😎

·
Registered
Honda CRV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it this one?

Nice!! That's a factory OEM carbon hood, and a Centennial edition MC, although it's not mentioned in the description. Shouldn't be a problem color matching. But yes...between high hundreds, low thousands to paint it. Want to trade for a 2 scoop OEM aluminum hood if hesitant about painting carbon fiber? 😎
Yes this is the one! Is there anything special about the Centennial edition MC?
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's Earl Scheib's price! 🤣
hehe I think it depends on how busy a shop is right now and state you are in. body shops would kill for that type of easy work right now in these covid times where they are loosing employees and changing their business models. the hood can be removed in less then an hour from the car and the sanding/ prep is much easier on a non damaged/oem part thats already been on a car and it can be painted/dryed with other customers parts at the same time.

I am currently trying to get another one of my project cars fully repainted and its INSANE how different body shops have become in the last year of covid. In beginning of 2020 I went to the 3 best shops in my area and they all gave a good quote to repaint the car with no issues (I was still building the engine then and wanted to wait till after). Now in winter 2021 ive gone to 6 different shops and they have all turned down the work because they are mainly only interested in insurance payout accident work and they have all lost workers. Ive gotten quotes from 4k to 40k to paint my car lol INSANE.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
157 Posts
Yes this is the one! Is there anything special about the Centennial edition MC?
Thanks for your input!
I think mainly it's just a 100 year anniversary appearance package...special badging on the door sills, striping on the wheels, and different piping on the seats. Maybe more, but that's all I know about them...Nice choice IMO

·
Registered
611 Posts
That genuine Maserati carbon fiber hood costs five figures. You can try to sell with trade of original hood. I'm sure many people would want it. I would if I were in the US.

Note that you will need to trade with another MC if you want to have the hood scoop. Regular Granturismos do not have any holes in the front hood.

·
Registered
Honda CRV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That genuine Maserati carbon fiber hood costs five figures. You can try to sell with trade of original hood. I'm sure many people would want it. I would if I were in the US.

Note that you will need to trade with another MC if you want to have the hood scoop. Regular Granturismos do not have any holes in the front hood.
Oh wow really?? I had no idea... Assuming I went ahead and bought it, is this something I could post here to see if someone would want it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
this is what I originally was mentioning... if its an OEM MC hood that came with the car originally , there is no point in selling or trading it with anyone as the hoods are very expensive and even though in the grand scheme of how heavy this car is they are "lighter weight" compared to the stock hood. What I would recommend is talk to a car wrap place and see if they have a wrap that is a similar or very close color match to the cars color then you can just have the hood wrapped. If you hate the color diff, you can always take it off, but it would be relatively cheap and could be done in a day.

·
Registered
Honda CRV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is what I originally was mentioning... if its an OEM MC hood that came with the car originally , there is no point in selling or trading it with anyone as the hoods are very expensive and even though in the grand scheme of how heavy this car is they are "lighter weight" compared to the stock hood. What I would recommend is talk to a car wrap place and see if they have a wrap that is a similar or very close color match to the cars color then you can just have the hood wrapped. If you hate the color diff, you can always take it off, but it would be relatively cheap and could be done in a day.
Hi! I’m a little confused. If it is expensive, wouldn’t that mean it would be worth selling it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Then you are getting rid of one of the cool things about the U.S. MC version. It is basically a Sport with some added features which are primarily cosmetic although the carbon fiber hood with the center scoop was a option. My MC has the same hood but painted. I think the majority of them were painted body color at the factory. Probably best to just paint to match

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont know how many sports cars or rare cars you've owned but its pretty much universally never a good idea to sell a rare OEM part that came with a car. If/when you ever sell the car you will be kicking yourself because every buyer will heavily scrutinize why its missing a certain part (maybe less so if you repaint the hood or wrap it which I think could be a better compromise). That hood is extremely expensive like 10K+ at a dealership(again if its real because there is a replica one thats only like 1-2k online). If you get the car its of course your perogative to swap the hood to the normal one, it just doesn't make any financial sense why you would want to when you could have it wrapped or painted fairly easily.

·
Registered
Honda CRV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know how many sports cars or rare cars you've owned but its pretty much universally never a good idea to sell a rare OEM part that came with a car. If/when you ever sell the car you will be kicking yourself because every buyer will heavily scrutinize why its missing a certain part (maybe less so if you repaint the hood or wrap it which I think could be a better compromise). That hood is extremely expensive like 10K+ at a dealership(again if its real because there is a replica one thats only like 1-2k online). If you get the car its of course your perogative to swap the hood to the normal one, it just doesn't make any financial sense why you would want to when you could have it wrapped or painted fairly easily.
Ohhhh, okay that makes a lot of sense. Yeah I've never owned anything nice before. Thanks for explaining that!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts