Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think, is the S version is really worth extra money of the standard version, and is the difference really big, or it's not that big?
Also, I would like to know is there any difference in comfort between "normal" and "S" version? Is the S version less comfortable (or should I say practical for everyday use) than the standard version?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What do you think, is the S version is really worth extra money of the standard version, and is the difference really big, or it's not that big?
Also, I would like to know is there any difference in comfort between "normal" and "S" version? Is the S version less comfortable (or should I say practical for everyday use) than the standard version?
i recommend you do a search on the topic first, there has been good discussion on this. as well, drive a GT yourself. if you find it less sporty than your practical everyday use, go for the S. everyone's standards are different. i will find a GT to be less practical than a GT-S ;)

it is worth the extra money. (exclusivity, performance, style, fun)

·
Registered
793 Posts
That is a near impossible question to answer.

It really depends upon what your love for cars is and what level of performance you want.

Being practical is not a good approach unless you favor a more vanilla approach.

Take your time; drive both if possible;think it through. What's the rush?

I think this is why Ferrari only makes one type of every car they make. No decision as to variables just as to whether or not to buy the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
will depend on what you're use to driving, what you're looking for, and how price sensitive you are. i drove the base granturismo and found it very boring, heavy, and slow. i am hoping the S's transmission, engine, and exhaust make it more interesting to me. but the point is, everybody will have their own opinion, so go test drive the base, and then go from there.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If comfort and practicality are your priorities the GT may be the way to go because it has a "real" automatic transmission and a "less-sporty" suspension. But I agree with the guys above, you definitely have to drive both to decide.

I personally wouldn't buy a "normal" GT, only a GT-S. But comfort and practicality are not my priorities.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Didn't Ferrari offer two versions of the 360 and 430? 360/CS and 430/Scud?
Yes but those differences were clearly noted and understood by knowledgeable people. The buyers are a different class as well.

I think for one the differences of the GT now could be a bit confusing. So experiencing them should be a driving experience.

I also assume by the question being asked that Nelo may not fully know the differences of the two models. So he should experience them and then decide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the problem is that I can't try the car... :(

There is no Maserati dealer in my country. I would have to buy it somwhere else, and import it in my country.

I'm pretty shure that there is no way I can try the Gran Turismo S.
However, I tried standard Gran Turismo(when I was on vacation), and it's great car, there isn't anything I didn't like about car.

I really don't know what to do...

Regards,
Aleksandar

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, the problem is that I can't try the car... :(

There is no Maserati dealer in my country. I would have to buy it somwhere else, and import it in my country.

I'm pretty shure that there is no way I can try the Gran Turismo S.
However, I tried standard Gran Turismo(when I was on vacation), and it's great car, there isn't anything I didn't like about car.

I really don't know what to do...

Regards,
Aleksandar
a plane ticket is a pretty small investment when making a purchase this big. Fly to the US and there's plenty of car clubs that allow you to test drive multiple cars inthe same day (see this weks issue of autoweek, will be online next week), unfortunatley I don't think any of them have a Maserati in the line-up but wouldn't hurt to email them to see if one is on the way (they have one of everything else).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Haven't driven the S but I think I have a pretty good picture of what it'll feel like.
I own a regular GT. It's not a fast car, but it's exactly what I expected it to be: a luxury sport coupe that I can use as a daily driver and gives me enough punch to have fun once in a while (when in "sport" mode). If you want speed, get the S, otherwise the GT is nice. Living in Korea, I would never buy any car without full manual because you're stuck in traffic 99% of the time. My wife drives a Lexus GS430. I honestly think the Lexus feels quicker than the GT. I think that sums up any questions about acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
By the way, I think you're based in Serbia? Why not hop over to Italy (if you want, I can send you a PM with the contact details of what is arguably the best Maserati dealer in Italy) and try both cars there?

You can also order it through the dealer in Italy and hopefully ensure they get it to you earlier.

Let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I live in Serbia. I could jump to Italy, and that's probably what I'm going to do. Thanks for all your help. However, I thin that I'll go for standard version, because I think that I don't need 0.3 seconds that S is faster than standard. I also think that standard sounds great, maybe not as great as S, but it's still much better from 99,99% cars in Serbia.

BigFoot, I would be pleased if you send me PM with Italian dealers.

What is the price of the S version in USA(I know the price of standard version)? I will probably buy my car in USA, because it's much cheaper than in Europe, due to EUR to USD ratio.

Regards,
Aleksandar

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Aleksandar, buying from the US, you need to factor in import duties, plus the car needs to be changed to suit your countries' regulations (in particular in terms of emissions).

Plus, I read on ML that US dealers are raising prices (to compensate for the higher Euro exchange rate).

In any event, I'll PM you the details of the dealer in Italy ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BigFoot, I have already bought one car in USA- Lexus RX400h. There wasn't any problem with that.

Also, in Serbia, there are some procedures(sorry if I didn't spell this right), and it is possible NOT to pay duties, so that's very good. I'm not sure how it goes, but you get the black registry plates instead of white, and you don't have to pay import duties. I'm not sure do you have it in US, nut here we call it economic plates, or something like that.

Even more, Maserati GT from Germany costs 118.000euro!
In USA it's 110.000$, and that's just over 70.000e!

So, even if I have to pay import duties, which are about 44% in Serbia, it's much better to buy it in USA than in Germany...

BigFoot, thanks for PM! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Fair enough mate :)

BTW, I did read here that Maserati is planning a price hike for the USA, so you'd better move quickly :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nelo

There is quite a big difference between the two versions, much more than 0.3s would suggest. The figures do not tell the story and there is at least one magazine that has tested the GT-S at 4.4 for the 0-60 time. In any event I have driven both and now own a GT-S and if you have the choice would thoroughly recommend the GT-S over the GT. I will try and post my impressions of the GT after one month of ownership but in essence it is a much more flexible car than the GT. It has a forgiving ride (not much firmer than the GT) and as such is comfortable, is not noisy and can take a family of 4 from London to the South of France in a day and leave everyone ache and stress free at the end.

BUT, when you want to be a little more spirited, press the sport button and it completely transforms the car. The noise is simply amazing, simply one of the best sounds you will ever hear. Also you then have access to the fastest gear change of 100ms, which is truly astonishing, how they do it I don't know but it brings a simile to my face every time. Finally, I do like the rear boot spoiler and side skirts you get with the GT-S which just give a subtle enhancement to the already stunning shape of the GT. Hope this helps but if you need anything further just let me know.

Carl

·
Registered
7 Posts
One difference to note is the S version is only paddle shift unless you upgrade further to the S-Automatic. (corrections appreciated)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
will depend on what you're use to driving, what you're looking for, and how price sensitive you are. i drove the base granturismo and found it very boring, heavy, and slow. i am hoping the S's transmission, engine, and exhaust make it more interesting to me. but the point is, everybody will have their own opinion, so go test drive the base, and then go from there.
and I drove both and purchased the regular Gran Turismo, not the S, and do not find it either boring or slow, and this coming from an ex DB9 and Jaguar XKR owner.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.