Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My UK dealer tells me the Gran Turismo 4.7 ZF Auto is coming in March. He thinks the car will be shown at the Geneva Motorshow.

He has no other information or specs yet. I'm guessing it will visually be like the current 'S' and have the sportier 'switchable' exhaust?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am very glad I waited!!!

I was thinking about buying a 2008 with the ZF but will not wait as I would rather have the 4.7 litre engine.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My perspective after driving both autos and duoselects in the 4.2L is you could go either way, but I felt the auto was a bit flat and wasted the potential of that engine.

That being said, I think the 4.7L is COMPLETED wasted bolted to an automatic especially now with the improvements to the new duoselect clutching, etc.

My strong opinion- get the duo, especially if you are buying an S. Otherwise, don't bother getting the S and donate the saved $ to your favorite charity.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
maserati is really messing up with their product line up and nomenclature.

for the current QP line up: QP, QP S, QP Sport GT-S.
for the GT: Granturismo, Granturismo GTS, Granturismo S.

logically the longer the name it appears to have more goodies and superior performance.

but it seems the S and the GTS in the Granturismo is reversed in terms of performance.

not to mention, Granturismo GTS is a redundant name...
do we start calling it GT GTS now??

·
Registered
96 Posts
It will probably be the GranTurismo GT-S to keep it in line with the Quattroporte. I should imagine performance will be on a par with the paddle shift S but will allow buyers to enjoy this with an auto box. It's going to hammer residuals still further though on the 4.2 model :mad:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The name Gran Turismo GTS doesn't make any sense...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The name Gran Turismo GTS doesn't make any sense...
exactly. maserati's product planning and nomenclature is a total mess.

like porsche coming out with a "Cayman S Sport".
unless the S stands for Stupid, otherwise it is redundant.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't even call it "duo-select" because it's not what it is. The Granturismo S has a gearbox called "MC-shift" which is closely related to that used in the Ferrari 599 GTB. With 80ms shifting time between gears it is light years ahead of the QP's duo-select.

Having driven all Maseratis since 2001, I can say that the worst gearbox was found in the Coupe cambiocorsa and early QP duo-select, a much improved version was used in the Gransport, but the gearbox of the Granturismo S is such a huge leap forward that it shouldn't even be mentioned alongside the others. During the 1500 miles I spent driving a GT-S not for one moment did I desire I had an automatic, not even when I was stuck in heavy traffic. It really is that good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would say you're right about the Coupe, except

when you install the FD DBW mod. It turns a paper airplane into a rocket. Seriously upgrades the throttle response and performance. I drove four different Masi's before buying my coupe (I liked the look better - to each his own) but I was disappointed in the actual "feel" of the car, until now. I look for every opportunity to pull it out of the garage. And now that my Larini's are on the way -- whoa Nellie!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
During the 1500 miles I spent driving a GT-S not for one moment did I desire I had an automatic, not even when I was stuck in heavy traffic. It really is that good.

That's exactly why I am confused why they are coming out with a fully auto version of the GranTurismo S. :confused:

I can understand the QP having an autobox with the souped up 4.7l, but the GranTurismo should surey be a more sporty car and if not outright manual, at least with the MCShift 'box.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was told the gearbox of the 599 used in the GT-S was too expensive in the Maser at its price and was cutting into profits on the car, and that is why they decided to go with the ZF auto in the new S.

·
Registered
603 Posts
New DuoSelect

That being said, I think the 4.7L is COMPLETED wasted bolted to an automatic especially now with the improvements to the new duoselect clutching, etc...
I am curious, what were the improvements to the duolelect? Software and / or hardware? In which model year did this first present?

Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am curious, what were the improvements to the duolelect? Software and / or hardware? In which model year did this first present?

Thanks!
Both SW and HW. The MC-Shift gearbox is a totally different thing from the duo-select. I would say that it makes it unnecessary to develop a dual-clutch system (which is very smooth but feels horribly sluggish when driving aggressively - the new Porsche 911 is totally ruined with that 'box).

So far it is only used on the Granturismo S and obviously on the 599 GTB, from which it is derived. It would be nice if they offered it as an option on the QP 4.7

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
It's interesting to say that about dual-clutch systems. I read that the Lambo's upgraded version of the e-gear on the LP560-4 was designed to provide a "kick at the back" when changing gears aggressively because that's what Lambo customers would expect, although they had got the software refined enough to be much smoother.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was told the gearbox of the 599 used in the GT-S was too expensive in the Maser at its price and was cutting into profits on the car, and that is why they decided to go with the ZF auto in the new S.
I sincerely hope they keep the MC-shift at least as an option. What a disaster it would be if it went all-automatic or nothing. :mad:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I sincerely hope they keep the MC-shift at least as an option. What a disaster it would be if it went all-automatic or nothing. :mad:
i agree. but maserati said the Granturismo S would be a 'limited edition' for one year only.
so i guess the MC Shift will disappear.

until they come up with a Granturismo MC Stradale or Granturismo MC Victory Redux or whatever...

·
Registered
26 Posts
GranTurismo v Granturismo S

I'm want to replace my much loved 2004 4200 Coupe and test drove the GranTurismo v Granturismo S today. Thought you might want to know what I thought.

The GrandTurismo is a fantastic car but it is a family car, like a top of the range Merc/BMW/Jag etc only with more style - more like a differently shaped QP - but it isn't a hard edged sports car. It is completely different from my 4200 which is fast, fun, on the edge, close to the action and electrifying, terrifying and great.

The normal GT is very well put together (much better than my 4200) but ...you're going to hate me... I just couldn't get excited. The new auto box is clever but like any auto, it is slow to change and you feel detached from the driving. A lot of the character had been drained away - and yes I was really disappointed. I don't want a Porsche/Merc/BMW or any of that stuff.

But having decided it definitely wasn't for me the saleman found a GT S for me to try - it was fantastic, a whole different car. You get a much better/quicker version of the manual paddle gearbox that's in my 4200 (no auto) and electrifying, instant performance. More low and mid range power...and much better noise!

The salesman confirmed that Maserati are launching an auto version of the GT S in the next couple of months but is a separate car, mostly designed for the American market. Maser reckon the manufacturing split will be 1/3 auto to 2/3 manual. So, yes the Manual may be more difficult/expensive to maintain/replace but choose this, not the auto, as it makes the car a Maser.

He also said that Fiat's plan is to distance Ferrari and Maserati over the coming years so that the Maser is seen as a proper competitor to the top end family cars BMW etc) and Ferrari becomes even harder edged.

The new GTs are big cars though which I'm not too sure about and the full of cup holders which apparently nobody here wants/uses.

The GT S has restored my faith in the brand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts