Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange behavior from the GS today. We're in a bit of a cold spell, and when I started the engine, that beep that accompanies what I believe is a temperature below 37 degrees would not stop. I turned the car off....several times. Got out, locked, unlocked, cursed, kicked the front tire, but the beeping still wouldn't stop. Drove the car for about 20 minutes (with radio on loud) but still the beeping wouldn't stop. Finally, I reset the battery via the control in the trunk, and the beeping finally stopped.

Then, on the way home, the digital guage that displays the gear and the temperature started flashing. The first thing that popped into my mind was that this was Italian code for a fried tranny. I hope not....anyone have any idea what it is? Long story short, I did what usually fixes bugs in the car -- I pulled over, restarted, and the flashing stopped.

All seems fine now, but the flashing concerns me. Any ideas?
Steve

·
Registered
660 Posts
Man...

If temp goes BELOW 2 degrees C outside, the leftmost icon on the center digital display (a circle with spikes) will flash as a warning (black ice on road likely). It has to do with the outside temp sensor (which is located under the driver side outside mirror) and nothing to worry about. The flashing is just reminding you to drive carefully.

Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Troesma said:
Man...

If temp goes BELOW 2 degrees C outside, the leftmost icon on the center digital display (a circle with spikes) will flash as a warning (black ice on road likely). It has to do with the outside temp sensor (which is located under the driver side outside mirror) and nothing to worry about. The flashing is just reminding you to drive carefully.

Ed
Yes....but it's not supposed to beep constantly, right? Problem was it wouldn't stop beeping.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beeping problem

Hi:
I recently had the same problem and eventually, it went away, but it happened on another subsequent occassion since then and I can't explain either. It was really annoying. In my case, it didn't seem to coincide with the temp reading/alert, although I'm very familiar w/ that feature and it did produce the same type of beeping noise, it just wasn't showing that 32 degree alert w/ the snowflake flashing like it usually does when accompanying the beep.

Have you had any insight since posting above? I had mine at the shop and I'm not sure whether or not I added that to my list of about a dozen items, but I'll follow up on Monday and report back. For reference, I have an '06 GS w/ about 11k miles.
tx
carl

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
microfuelcellar said:
Hi:
I recently had the same problem and eventually, it went away, but it happened on another subsequent occassion since then and I can't explain either. It was really annoying. In my case, it didn't seem to coincide with the temp reading/alert, although I'm very familiar w/ that feature and it did produce the same type of beeping noise, it just wasn't showing that 32 degree alert w/ the snowflake flashing like it usually does when accompanying the beep.

Have you had any insight since posting above? I had mine at the shop and I'm not sure whether or not I added that to my list of about a dozen items, but I'll follow up on Monday and report back. For reference, I have an '06 GS w/ about 11k miles.
tx
carl
Carl,

Beeping has not returned, nor has flashing of gear guage. For now. What sort of other issues are you having?
Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maserati of minneapolis said:
Was the beeping the same as a key being left in the ignition?
No....think it was different. Not as loud. Anyways, the good news is that all seems calm now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Never had that problem but I hate that beep as is, I wish I could disable it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
'06 GS service issues response

Steve said:
Carl,

Beeping has not returned, nor has flashing of gear guage. For now. What sort of other issues are you having?
Steve
Steve:
In response to your question, here are some of the "other issues" being addressed currently by Algar Ferrari/Maserati:

1. [
    1. *]Transmission functioning extremely erratically on several occasions, where shifts were not going through properly and were delayed by several thousand rpms (so if you initiated a shift at 2k rpm, it wouldn't kick in until 4k or 5k rpm)
    2. Headlight washer missing (4th episode)
    3. Both windows squeak terribly when operated
    4. When opening either door, windows "stick" in rubber tracking at top and create resistance when attempting to pull door open
    5. Parking light bulb out
    6. Leak in trunk (right side permanently damp)
    7. Piping on passenger seat separating from leather facing
    8. Electric switch on passenger seat is not functioning properly
    9. Both seats do not return to former position when seat back is pushed forward and returned to upright.
    10. After about 7 minutes of idling, hear a loud, distinct rattling noise from underneath car in the central/rear portion of body. Had exact same issue with my '04 CC (which was determined by NJ State to be a lemon and was bought back by MNA)
    11. Passenger seat belt:plastic cover broke off at pillar anchor near head rest area
    12. Both front floor mats, the anchors have broken and need replacing
At any rate, this is nothing compared to my '04 CC which spent approximately 3.5 months in the shop out of the 14 months I owned it. Both cars function as my daily drivers, which these are represented to be by the manufacturer, but you have to be prepared for fairly substantial delays when you have a limited production car like this, primarily because some of the dealers don't stock many parts. That results in bringing the car in and leaving it for a day or two, only to pick it up and have to bring it back in a week or two to leave it again for another several days due to waiting for parts to be ordered, shipped and received.

Hope this is somehow helpful. Glad to answer any questions you may have. Most of the issues I have now are relatively benign. That said, given my prior experience, I'm a tad jumpy when I get funky behavior like the transmission issue described above, etc. I'v had other issues as well that defy explanation and cause substantial loss of confidence, but then they disappear and I just hope they stay that way. What can you do? It's a hand produced, exotic car! I'm told that's the way it goes and I should just put it into context and be grateful.

Carl

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carl,

You're brave for coming back for a second round after all the problems on the '04. Hope they can get all of this worked out for you. I love these cars (owned an 02 for 8 months) and now the GS for 3 months and feel like I'm getting away with murder as I haven't had any problems other than that described as above. Like you say, it's a limited production car so some of it goes with the territory. Good luck on this latest round of repairs.
Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Steve said:
Strange behavior from the GS today. We're in a bit of a cold spell, and when I started the engine, that beep that accompanies what I believe is a temperature below 37 degrees would not stop. I turned the car off....several times. Got out, locked, unlocked, cursed, kicked the front tire, but the beeping still wouldn't stop. Drove the car for about 20 minutes (with radio on loud) but still the beeping wouldn't stop. Finally, I reset the battery via the control in the trunk, and the beeping finally stopped.

Then, on the way home, the digital guage that displays the gear and the temperature started flashing. The first thing that popped into my mind was that this was Italian code for a fried tranny. I hope not....anyone have any idea what it is? Long story short, I did what usually fixes bugs in the car -- I pulled over, restarted, and the flashing stopped.

All seems fine now, but the flashing concerns me. Any ideas?
Steve
Hi Steve,

Using my experience in my shop - Italia Exotic - I would bet on the battery.
Even if in a particular moment everything seems fine with it!!
I've had this kind of "gremlins" with modern Maseratis - 3200 GT/A and newer coupés and Spyders.
Some erratic informations appear on the digital gauge, like "E" (error) on the 3200 GTA, refering to malfuction on the A/C system...
Taking an immediate reading on the voltage coming from the battery everything seemed fine, 14,5V, while engine in motion. But after some minutes testing I came across with a high peak (14,7v) followed by a low peak (11,7v), still engine in motion with no charge (lights, A/C, radio, etc..).
So I looked to the battery and found out the one of the elements was not receiving charge...
This is just a short information on this issue of "gremlins on the dash".
There are a lot of things to look at (Ex: Alternator generated voltage, etc...) but the easiest thing to look at, first, is the battery.

I must say that 90% of the "gremlins" were solved changing the battery.

New car IS NOT synonimous of new battery, should be but, it isn't.

This modern cars from late 90's suffer a lot with low voltage, all the ECUs (there are many on modern Ferraris and Maseratis), "catch" bad readings followed by errors that appear on erratic informations on the instrument cluster.
I guess that the perfect battery for modern cars should be a 14V+ one not a 12.5V.
With the help of the generator readings should be around 16V.

With the new Fiamm all armoured batteries for Euro Maserati - I guess the same happens in the North American market - it is very difficult to find a bad battery...

Regards,

Mont

·
Registered
17 Posts
This modern cars from late 90's... Mont[/QUOTE]

We should read: ... This modern cars from late 90's up to now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts