Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excellent board.....first post....seeking some advice regarding Gran Sport purchase. I just sold a 2002 GT coupe. Originally wanted a Gran Sport, but decided to purchase an older model to see if I liked the car given horrific depreciation on newer models. Ulitmately, didn't want to buy a new car, decide I didn't like it, then sell it 3 months later for a $30,000 loss. Long story short, I just loved the GT. Absolutely wonderful car, but better than that, sold it after 6 months and 3000 miles for same price I paid. It seems to me that the real depreciation on these cars starts to level off after two years, and as long as you sell it before warranty expires, losses are minimal. Which brings me to the 05 Gran Sports......looks like the absolute best prices for clean cars are low to mid $70's, but more likely high $70's. I think that now, the bulk of the depreciation is baked in, and from a timing standpoint, this is a very good entry point for the GS. The only issue that is muddying the waters for me is that it seems Maserati NA is offering "stripped" 06 GT's at discounted prices. Specifically, one on Ebay has had a "buy it now" of $69k for what seems like forever. I understand the traditional manual has been improved on the newer GT's, and I have never driven the F1 Transmission. I also understand the F1 is well executed on the GS, but I still read various posts about clutch issues etc. For GS owners who have driven a GT, would be curious as to whether you would rather have 05 used GS, or new 06 GT with Tubi and upgraded wheels? Costs, when everything is said and done, would probably be a wash between the too.
Second question: Seems the GS comes fully loaded. Are any built without skyhook? Are there really any must have options, or are they all essentially the same except for color, and a few exotic options like a fire extinguisher?
Third question: Is there any "certification" or extended warranties anyone is aware of if purchased through dealer?
Finally, any thing to look out for on used GS?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
steve

·
Registered
773 Posts
Gs

enjoyment is the whole thing, about spending $$. i just have the best fun/fantasy time. damn the $$ F1 shift is a big part of the fun. drop in value is amazing! my 02 spyder that i aquired in dec. 02 is really a $35000 item now.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
steve, welcome. i think you are very clear and correct about the depreciation. most of the first owner took the biggest hit, or they bought the car discounted to begin with. there is a lot of myth about the maserati depreciation. it's like a nymph... people warn you about her but you know you will enjoy it. and all in all, it is not bad.

as for the GS, as you noted it seems to hold its resale value. however, when the new coupe becomes available, its value may change. i would say it will not change drastically, since the new coupe will be in the $110k+ range, so any used $60-70k maseratis will be happy where they are.

i think someone on the board asked about non-skyhook GS. do you really want one without? it works in conjunction with the sport button (although one owner didn't like the idea and wants the sports suspenion on all the time).

you really should test drive a GS and see for yourself which one you like, a GT or GS.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hey, Steve. I was looking at one of the "stripped" GT's, and when they say stripped, they mean it...

That said, I didn't much care about CD changer, Nav, etc...but I really did want Skyhook. I also find that the standard headlamps leave a bit to be desired, particularly if you're driving at speed at night - it is easy to out-run your lights.

I think I'm going to wait for the first wave of pre-owned '05 or '06 GS's to come available, and pick one of those up after the initial depreciation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The sports mode on Skyhood, the ride is quite similar the Coupe GT. If you lower the GT by 10mm, then I think it would be identical to the sports setting.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
dchao said:
The sports mode on Skyhood, the ride is quite similar the Coupe GT. If you lower the GT by 10mm, then I think it would be identical to the sports setting.
skyhood?!?
anyways. you need to understand, coupe GT's are not necessarily so striped that it does not have skyhook. (and for rick, xenon)

some coupe GT's do come with skyhook and xenon (and even sport int, trofeo wheels, GPS, premium sound, full carbon (boy this GT is loaded). ex:
http://www.ferrariofseattle.com/inventory.php?car_id=11402

perhaps you meant lowering a non-skyhook coupe by 10mm, it would be identical to the sports setting.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hi, M!.

We were referring to a special run of "stripped" GT's that hit the North American dealers this year - at a great MSRP < $85K (street price less) making it a sweet deal for a Maserati Coupe if the options don't matter to you.

I still plan on driving one, just to feel the difference between the Skyhook and non-Skyhook.

I'm also going to ask if the factory can build a GS without the side skirts...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
ic. you are correct on those (street price less - $69k anyone?).
i wonder how the factory handle these seemingly easy customization.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RickBullotta said:
Hi, M!.

We were referring to a special run of "stripped" GT's that hit the North American dealers this year - at a great MSRP < $85K (street price less) making it a sweet deal for a Maserati Coupe if the options don't matter to you.

I still plan on driving one, just to feel the difference between the Skyhook and non-Skyhook.

I'm also going to ask if the factory can build a GS without the side skirts...

Please let us know your thoughts after the "stripped" GT test drive....do not live close enough to dealership.

I saw on another thread that a brand new "stripped" GT went for $66k. Low mileage, 05 GS now hitting the high $70's. Saw one sell about a month ago in Utah that was listed at $73 (silver, low miles).....seller said price was firm, and it was sold the next day. Realistically, I think if you're patient, you can get an 05 GS in the low $70's. So, if you could get a '05 GS in low $70's with maybe 30 months remaining warranty, I still think that's a better call than the $66k GT brand new. Thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts