Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Could someone let us know what the correct type of battery a Gran Sport should be using? the reason i ask is that if I leave the car for 4/5 days the battery is dead -I left it into the dealer and they charged it for me but 4/5 days later it was dead again - any one have any ideas? is this usual for a Gran sport?
The battery i have at the moment is a Fiamm 12v 74h 440a IEC 400DIN - is that the correct battery type?
The car is only 2 months old. :-(
The dealership was not much help and there is not another one close by.
Many thanks
Phil

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get an Optima Battery. They fit in most cars, and are also sold by any Interstate Battery Dealer in the U.S. The look like a six pack of beer. Get the Red top one. The do not leak acid,need water, and can be discharged many times. They also have a 2 year 100% warranty and a 84 month prorated. They can also be mounted in any position.

Chris
2005 Maserati GranSport
2004 Ducati ST4s

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chris - do you know what model it is ? as they appear to sell many red top types.

·
Registered
513 Posts
your car is 2 months old?

why wouldn't your dealer replace the battery under warranty? if it is not your battery, you/they have a bigger warranty issue/problem.

Our cars may be "exotic" but they should not be treated differently than any other vehicle...4-5 days of life on a car battery is unacceptable across the board.......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Battery Problem

The Optima Red Top top terminal group 34. Some slight mounting modification may have to be made, but no vent kit is needed. If the dealer will not replace the battery under warranty, then that is the way to go. There is always a slight draw on the battery from the CPU,alarm, etc... Coventional lead acid batteries do not like to be discharged more than a few times .I have let my car sit for a month and it has started right up. If you can have the battery tested with a computer battery tester{MD-18}for load,life, and draw,it will let you know what the problem is.
It may be cheaper to just put the Optima Battery in the car. If you let the car sit for long periods of time, a charger may be needed. The C-Tech 3000 is one of the best on the market. It will not overcharge like the Deltran"BatteryTender", and it has a mode for AGM{Advanced Glass Matt} batteries such as the Optima.Good Luck

Chris
2005 Maserati GranSport
2004 Ducati ST4s

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can also switch the electrics off with the little switch in the trunk next to the battery.

Interstate batteries do kick arse though.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
drevil said:
....a six pack of beer.... can also be mounted in any position.
too early in the morning.
i only read a couple of things.

i would not pay for a new replacement aftermarket battery for my 2 month new maserati.

·
Registered
431 Posts
battery gransport

Hi Pjs where are you based? I'd be well p£$$ed off if that happened to me.You can first check if your alternator is recharging your battery by turning your headlights on near a wall at dusk and rev the engine (brake on and in neutral) if your headlights brighten as you rev engine then IMO alternator ok.

You can see if an interior light remains on (door etc) when you switch off engine and close doors-that might be a source of leak.
You can then use an ammeter in series near the battery end with one terminal out and see how much current is being drawn.

If you are in Uk then dont bother getting a battery from dealer. Get a Halfords CALCIUM battery (£70) which has a 4 year no quibble relpacement guarantee.

The rest is what others have said above. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
charge for charge!

just went thru same. short in wiring behind drivers seat. 02 ccspyder. i expect bill, no warranty, 4 hours $400 i was putting things behing drivers seat and adjusting seat to rear once too many times. there should no charge for you, bad dealer, that will not fix problem(battery)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts