Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my pre-painted spoiler from Omar lastnight.

What's the best way to install it? Mine didn't come with any tape. I notice the self-tapping screw holes but there's no gasket or anything to keep water from getting under it. I'm worried about the screws rusting.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think the 3M molding tape is the best solution. It is strong and thin and made for sticking car's body trim. You could get it from Pepboy for about $5.

pganmol

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'm a dork! The tape was painted over so it looked like it wasn't there. I feel much better. As soon as it warms up a bit, I'll install it. Glad I didn't have to poke holes in my baby! :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Ok, I'm a dork! The tape was painted over so it looked like it wasn't there. I feel much better. As soon as it warms up a bit, I'll install it. Glad I didn't have to poke holes in my baby! :cool:

Fairly easy to install. Do use the mounting solution suggested by Omar so that you can adjust spoiler once you put it on car. Chances are that once you place on car you will need to adjust slightly. Without the solution there is no way of moving it. Don't be afraid to use alot of it. Before mounting I would do a test fit and mark your trunk lid with painter's tape of where it should be positioned so that when you do the actual installation you have some target points to align to.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curtis said:
Fairly easy to install. Do use the mounting solution suggested by Omar so that you can adjust spoiler once you put it on car. Chances are that once you place on car you will need to adjust slightly. Without the solution there is no way of moving it. Don't be afraid to use alot of it. Before mounting I would do a test fit and mark your trunk lid with painter's tape of where it should be positioned so that when you do the actual installation you have some target points to align to.
Thanks for the advice. The 50/50 windex/water thing is interesting. Almost counter intuitive. I like the idea of marking key points first then lining it up before setting it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
I thought the same thing! LOL. I let the car sit in the sun for a couple hours to warm it up then installed it. Piece of cake. A warning... once it touches the paint, you aint getting it off. Make sure you center it properly, equal distances from each seam on the trunk.;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is ever so slightly off centre I spayed window cleaner on but could only move it for about 10 seconds or so then it dried and stuck and there was no way of moving at at all to get it 100% bit pissed off but nothing I can do to get it off now

·
Registered
29 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Thanks for the advice. The 50/50 windex/water thing is interesting. Almost counter intuitive. I like the idea of marking key points first then lining it up before setting it.

The solution concept is the same as when they apply clear bras. It allows for movement of the item before the adhesive sticks. As I mentioned before use lots of the solution even to the point where it is dripping all over.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CCPotenza said:
BUZZ, which spoiler did you buy, from where? Was this the group buy that everyone was putting together?
No. I bought straight from Omar via ebay. $450 painted. It looks great. They overspray the red strip on the tape so it looks like there isn't any tape on it, hence the this bubble-headed thread. It needs to warm up or I need a space heater for the garage before I can put it on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The muffler shop is heated;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts