Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a set of 4 installed. They are amazing! What a difference from the OEM Pirelli PZero Rosso.

I always complained about the way my car handled, was never happy about how the rear would break loose easily and the MSP would kick in all the time. Well, I took the back roads coming back home tonight and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The MSP didn't go off at all, not even once.

The only downside is, it's harder to do donuts now :D

I thought about going with the Michelin PS2 that many of you guys like but after checking some reviews online I decided to give the Asymetrics a try.

They've been winning all the comparisons I could find online, and they are cheaper then the PS2.

Just wanna let you guys know.

PS- I went 275/30/19 on the rear.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I installed a set a four Goodyear F1-GS D3 tires (same compound as the assymetricos with a different tread I think) on my Spyder a few months ago and I also like them a lot. Plenty of grip and good predictable road feel at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how about the front?
I asked them to replaced the front with a 245/35/19 but they kept the original 235. I guess it was a miscommunication. But it's ok, my main complain was the rears.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed a set a four Goodyear F1-GS D3 tires (same compound as the assymetricos with a different tread I think) on my Spyder a few months ago and I also like them a lot. Plenty of grip and good predictable road feel at a reasonable price.
That was actually the one I had in mind first, then when doing an online research I found the asymmetrics, that are supposed to be the new generation of F1s. I guess that the main differences between them are, the Asymmetrics are softer and quieter, and the GS D3 lasts longer.

They are both better and cheaper then the Pirellis and Michelins.

I did some turns today that would make my car spin with the Pirellis. and the MSP didn't even kick in!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just had a set of 4 installed. They are amazing! What a difference from the OEM Pirelli PZero Rosso. ---they are cheaper then the PS2.
My understanding is that Michelin makes that tire for Goodyear!

Michelin also makes the Z06 tires as well as a few others!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've only ever had the Goodyear F1-GS D3's so I've naught to compare them with, but I do think they could handle a bit better in the wet. I definitely feel the MSP kicking in when it rains here. I also get a good amount of wheel chirp until they really heat up. I do have one that's gone egg-shaped after about 2500 miles due to a slightly bent wheel--don't know if that speaks towards quality or not... My mechanic's opinion is that they are crap and that I should switch to Michelins when they eventually wear out.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've only ever had the Goodyear F1-GS D3's so I've naught to compare them with, but I do think they could handle a bit better in the wet. I definitely feel the MSP kicking in when it rains here. I also get a good amount of wheel chirp until they really heat up. I do have one that's gone egg-shaped after about 2500 miles due to a slightly bent wheel--don't know if that speaks towards quality or not... My mechanic's opinion is that they are crap and that I should switch to Michelins when they eventually wear out.
Really? I'm surprised! All the reviews and tests about this tire say they are great on wet, actually they are considered the best on wet conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

·
Registered
262 Posts
Really? I'm surprised! All the reviews and tests about this tire say they are great on wet, actually they are considered the best on wet conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf
I know--I've read the reviews, and I'm surprised as well. Had they not come with the car, I would probably have replaced the OEMs with them when it became necessary. As mentioned, I haven't compared them to any other tires since they were already on the car when I bought it.

She's had the wheels aligned to Maserati factory specs and I just had them balanced again last week when I had the shop check for any bent wheels. It could be that the one slightly bent wheel is throwing things off, but I don't think so. I do get quite a bit of wheel chirp though.

As far as handling in the wet... I haven't tried pushing it at all and don't plan to, but there is a chance that I'm a bit too heavy-footed on the accelerator at times. I can feel the MSP kick in to control wheel spin though, so :confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Guys

I have had both the PS2's and the Goodyear Asymetrics and the difference is like night and day. The rear was always breaking loose with the PS2's without any real provocation and that was in the dry, in the wet they were very poor. They also only lasted 5000 miles. The Goodyears by comparison have been a revelation. I can now put dowm the power without excessive wheelspin, unless of course I really want to! They are particularly good in the wet giving muc more grip and being very predictable. They have also lasted nearly twice as long.

If Michelin really do produce the tyres for Goodyear they should take a good look at what they are doing as for me I would not buy another set of Michelins, over priced and over rated in my experience.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Colossus,

Have you tried the Pirellis? If so, how did they compare?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Colossus,

Have you tried the Pirellis? If so, how did they compare?
They don't. The Asymmetrics are in a different league, WAY better than the PZeros. It's like I'm driving a different car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another Yes Vote

Guys

I have had both the PS2's and the Goodyear Asymetrics and the difference is like night and day. The rear was always breaking loose with the PS2's without any real provocation and that was in the dry, in the wet they were very poor. They also only lasted 5000 miles. The Goodyears by comparison have been a revelation. I can now put dowm the power without excessive wheelspin, unless of course I really want to! They are particularly good in the wet giving muc more grip and being very predictable. They have also lasted nearly twice as long.

If Michelin really do produce the tyres for Goodyear they should take a good look at what they are doing as for me I would not buy another set of Michelins, over priced and over rated in my experience.
Here's another yes vote on the Goodyear Asymetrics. I just had set put on in OEM sizes. They grip much better wet and dry than the stock Michelins and are quieter on most road surfaces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts