Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Washington Auto Show is now going on here in DC. I checked the exhibitor list and Maserati, Ferrari, and Aston will be there with their wares......I'm looking forward to checking out the GT. I plan on asking about Maserati's plans for a drop-top and up-ing the HP on the GT in the near future. I love the lines but am disappointed that the power output is not in the upper 400s. Let you know if the floor sales guys give up any secrets......

·
Registered
250 Posts
I went last year. In general the Washington DC Auto Show is disappointing because they focus on in-production models and they don't exhibit any concept cars. The Maserati/Ferrari display was staffed last year by the Ferrari of Washington. You might get see the Grand Tourismo; however, you'll get a closer look if you just go to the FOW showroom in Sterling and speak to Tam.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The Washington Auto Show is now going on here in DC. I checked the exhibitor list and Maserati, Ferrari, and Aston will be there with their wares......I'm looking forward to checking out the GT. I plan on asking about Maserati's plans for a drop-top and up-ing the HP on the GT in the near future. I love the lines but am disappointed that the power output is not in the upper 400s. Let you know if the floor sales guys give up any secrets......

Don't expect many secrets because they are not selling now as hoped and as such no manufacturer will make major changes.

The Gran Turismo is very nice looking but lost my interest quickly.

You can expect that the GT will get bigger brakes and dual element metallic rotors. Badly needed.

I would not expect much in HP area other than maybe some ECU tuning.

See if I am right!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes, good luck there, Washington has never offered much in the way of concepts, generally just a large sales floor for the makers. I was in FM-LI yesterday looking at a 550 and querying the salesman on the 4.7 GT - he couldn't confirm or deny.

And FWIT, he has a GT on the floor for sale and not accounted for. Bought and almost immediately traded in on something, maybe a 430. Anyway it's there for the taking. Salesman's name is Peter at FM-LI; I think they want $130K for the car. Some version of black with a burgundy interior.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So, last Sunday I attended the Washington show and headed straight for the Maserati/Ferrari/Lambo paddock. All other marques had cars out in the open with kids crawling all over and in them - the sales guys were beside themselves and eventually gave up. The show was unbelievably crowded - you wouldn't guess there was any problem with the US economy....at least in DC .

Ferrari/Maserati of Washington hosted the display which was walled-off and covered an area about the size of a regulation basketball court. There were about four Ferrari's (F40, F430, Scaglietti, 360 Spider) all were customer cars. The F40 was FMOW owner Allie Ash's personal daily driver. There were two Maserati's - an '07 QP and the GT. Was disappointed that there were no GS Coupes or Spyders showing or, any vintage. I think next year, I'll offer to Allie to include my Spyder. They were not letting anyone into the paddock but, I managed to get inside to have a nice conversation with Mr. Ash. Some notable points in the conversation:
  1. There is a global owners meeting in Modena the first week in February where all Maserati dealers will hear firsthand the new product announcements and plans for the coming future
  2. There will definitely be a Spyder version coming in '09
  3. Ali was very guarded about revealing any particulars but, seemed genuinely excited about new 'product' announcements by Maserati
  4. No word on the 4.7
  5. Allie just wrote a check for ~$5M to buy up inventory of QPs
  6. Allie debunked some views that the GT was slow-moving and cited that he has a 9 month waiting list and has orders for over 60 of an allocation of 83 GTs
  7. He was disappointed about the Maserati owner/brand strength in the DC area. Ferrari owners are apparently much more involved in their cars and club. I offered to get a DC chapter interest going and to have some of us locals join in on the Ferrari events in the coming year.

Bottom line is that you all were right in that there would be no real news disclosed but, I did confirm that all the news that is news will be disclosed in Modena the week of Feb 4. That's next week. So, I'm sure that after the announcements at the factory, all the info will be leaking to the press and we should finally know what's up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts