Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago my clutch was slipping and the dealer said it was ok, it just needed a software upgrade. They also told me my clutch had only 40% wear.

Well, after a couple of weeks the clutch started gradually slipping again, and now it is just like it was before. So the car went again to the same dealer, but this time they told me that the clutch needs to be replaced because it is glazed! And, that I have only 30% clutch left!

How can a clutch go from 40% to 70% wear in 2 months? (I only drive in sport mode, no stop and go replica, avoid overusing reverse etc etc..)

Also, the service manager told me the clutch got glazed because the car's been driven hard!

Does it make any sense?:confused:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
16,000 miles

·
Registered
793 Posts
Why not give them a "glazed" look and compel them to replace it under warranty due to their initial stupid remarks.

Forget their stupid latter remarks!

Ridiculous-driven hard. And how could they make that evaluation?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like a load of bull. Later model clutches, following various hardware and software updates are seeing 25K-30K before replacement. Some even longer. Sounds like you have a warranty issue. Btw, the clutch-wear indication is notoriously un-reliable.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ali, I think this time I'm going to follow your advice and flatbed the car to FOC for 2nd opinion. I'm not happy with those guys at Auto Gallery.

·
Registered
824 Posts
A glazed clutch doesn't have to be a permanent condition. I'm sure mine has been glazed a couple of times - you just treat it more carefully until that bit wears off.

Is it slipping as you move off in 1st? Is it slipping in 4th?

What RPM do you see in 1st as it engages when you take off?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I start slowly in 1st gear until it fully engages it works fine, but if I give too much gas it slips quite a bit. Going uphill is a lot worse, and loud.

Also, if I'm slow in 2nd gear and press the throttle hard... it's bad!

But how can they know that the clutch is glazed without actually seeing it? Because last April when the car went to them with the same problem nobody mentioned the glaze, they said my clutch was good and only needed adjustment.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---But how can they know that the clutch is glazed without actually seeing it?
Glazing is a condition whereupon there are burned spots on the disk that have built up. These spots prevent the pressure plate from fully engaging the disk.

You don't have to "see" this to know it. You can feel it and smell it as well.

You need a full clutch replacement and you'll need your flywheel resurfaced as well.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But is it normal for a clutch to get glazed?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are my chances of getting it all fixed under warranty? They usually don't replace clutches under warranty, right?

·
Registered
824 Posts
They will replace it... It isnt wear and tear, it is defective.
If they thought it was covered they would have just taken care of it.

Glazed is different than hotspots. Hotspots are pretty fatal (ie flywheel need resurfacing as was said) and you would get clutch shudder as it hits the higher "hot spots" which won't wear down normally because they've effectively been heat treated.

When it is glazed the entire surface of the clutch plate friction material produces less friction. Just driving the car carefully it can come good.

Personally I doubt it is glazed, it is probably just worn enough it is slipping.
They should give you the measurement from the clutch sensor regardless.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I talked with both Auto Gallery and FMOC and neither one talked about warranty. AG charged me $4,000 and FMOC $5,200 for the service.

When I bought the car the clutch had 60% left. Two months ago there was still 60% left. But now, suddenly, the same dealer told me there's only 30% left.

Still, it shouldn't be slipping with 30% left, right?

But again, how did I get my clutch glazed? I don't drive a lot in stop and go traffic, and never tracked the car.:confused:

I'm afraid something else is causing it and then it's going to happen again with the new clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts