Maserati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
I think this Ghibli model (2014-Present) will be around for awhile.... The first year had a few kinks that got worked out in the 2015 release. Even more things have been worked out since then, like modernizing the infotainment system. It is a great design, and you are right, it looks and drives better than any BMW or MBZ I've driven... I've never driven an Audi, but I'll bet the Ghibli is a better drive than that as well. Plus, everyone has a BMW or MBZ..... I've only seen one other Ghibli (or any Maserati) in my town of 82k people (there are thousands of BMWs and MBZ).

In Silicon Valley the exotic car rental places are renting the Ghibli S Q4, Quatraporte S, and the GT all for $599 per day (plus mileage of course).... FYI, to put things into perspective, the McLaren 650S Spider and Lambo Aventador go for $1799 per day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like you can actually rent a 2014 Ghilbi for $71/day or 2015 for $75/day around the San Jose area, hundreds of miles included.

Great option if you're looking to enjoy a full day test drive of a Ghilbi.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well here's my take. You walk into the Maserati showroom. Ghibli is in your price zone. AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL CAR. Very pricey in the big picture. You are a big boy now and don't lease cars, you OWN them. However, when all is said and done, you look over at that GTS, GT MC, GT Cabrio etc on the showroom floor and say to yourself...if I only had the coin....There is something special about 2 doors. The sound of the 4.7 is intoxicating to a motor head. Doesn't have to be deafingly loud to impress. BTW many of us savvy buyers probably spent no more on our new GTS than a new Ghibli.
BTW that is my life experience at the Jaguar dealerships 20 years ago. The 2 doors were what you lusted for, but the 4 doors were not a bad compromise. Forget all the resale yadyada. I didn't buy it for the drag stroip. I bought it to drive thousands of miles in jaw droppingly beautiful comfort.
Finally, a Ghibli and a GTS arrive at the local 5 star at the same time. Both owners flash a Ben. Guess which car gets parked up front in the one slot every time?

Don't get me wrong, if I found a need for a sedan, a Ghibli would be at the top of my list. MY RRRS and Stelvio are my 21st century sedans. Can't put track tires in a Ghibli to take in for new rubber. I have seen a Ghibli at the track....not up for that role, body roll was pretty excessive.

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
I see your point about the two doors and the sound of a v8.....But I just can’t get past my practical side, this along with my life long desire to share my interests and toys, there just is not enough room in a two door. To me a two door coup was about the only way to have something sporty, then there were the two doors with tiny back seats that tried to satisfy my need to be practical. With the Ghibli I satisfied both needs. The practicality of a mid sized sedan and the sportiness and luxuriousness/exoticness of a Maserati. Price is a part of it, but as you put it, even the Ghibli is quite expensive even among other high end cars. Of all the things I love, the Ghibli satisfies me more than a GT.

If someone came to me with a brand new Ghibli, and a brand new GT and said to pick one of them to have for free..... I’d choose the Ghibli..... anyone that can’t understand that should go start a forum topic about the GTS and I promise I won’t crash it saying a Ghibli is better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Absolutely agree. The Ghibli does exceedingly well for what it was designed to be, a 4 door sport sedan. That is what I previously said and if I needed a sedan it would be on my shortlist for sure. I did like its looks, power, handling and comfort. The one thing I felt it lacked was its sound or lack of. But that is subjective to me and not fair to compare a NA V8 to a turbo anything. But I grew up lusting after American V8 muscle cars and that sound is engrained in my DNA. I'm sure an exhaust mod or two on the Ghibli would make a world of difference if that's your thing, but I don't think that may be fitting for a practical sedan. But on the other side the GTs back seats are not tiny and useless at all. It will seat two adults comfortably, but obviously not as practical to get into/out of as a 4 door. Which is what several have said, two completely different cars that shouldn't be compared.

·
Registered
380 Posts
At 5 10, 185 lbs, back seats of my GTS are surprisingly comfortable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
An ex I dated had a Ghibli Qs4 and i drove that thing into the ground, literally. Needed a new engine at 9k miles. I had a 430 spider at the time so we usually drove her car to be less stressed of parking etc.

The blind spot of the b piller used to drive me crazy. It was pretty peppy though. Had a nice exhaust bark.

But its no where near the driving experience of my GTMC. I dont even try to compare.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts