Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
While my GTMC is in for some service work I'm driving a loaded 2019 Ghiblis SQ4. It's a good looking and driving car for sure, but it doesn't excite me the way my GT does when I drive it. The exhaust note of the turbo engine is severely lacking compared to the GT's NA V8. Still a lovely car though.

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
While my GTMC is in for some service work I'm driving a loaded 2019 Ghiblis SQ4. It's a good looking and driving car for sure, but it doesn't excite me the way my GT does when I drive it. The exhaust note of the turbo engine is severely lacking compared to the GT's NA V8. Still a lovely car though.
Let's compare 2020 Ghibli S Q4 starting at $78k, and the GT starting at $152k.

Power: Ghibli S Q4 comes with 424HP and 428 Torque. The GT comes with 454HP and only 384 Torque.

Because the Ghibli S Q4 is turbocharged, piggy back chip tuners like RaceChip are very effective.... on engines without forced air injection are not. So while you have your 454HP, the Ghibli S Q4 with a RaceChip GTS Black has about 475HP and close to 500lbs of tourque.

I would expect more for twice the money, and for sure more from two extra pistons and 1.7 extra liters of displacement.

Economy: Ghibli S Q4 19/16/24, GTS 16/13/20.

Engine sound: The GTS has 8 tiny soda can sized pistons, it sounds just like a v8 with soda can sized pistons.... nothing compares to any v8 built in Michigan or Iowa. Maserati did a superb job with the tuned exhaust on the Ghibli S Q4. Yeah, it sounds like a v6, but it sounds like a v6 with some balls. How does your GT do from 0-60, I just did 4.1 with my RaceChip GTS Black set to 7 (Race mode), also mine is a Q4 so it has AWD, saves money from leaving rubber all over the road. When I mash the pedal to the floor, the car simply goes, no sitting there spinning tires or any other silly foolishness to gain the attention of the boys in blue.

Practicality, How much leg room is in the back seat when there are to fully grown 6ft adults in the front seats? My annual insurance premium for full coverage in the stupid state of California is about $800, how much is your's with your two door sport coup?

Don't get me wrong, I love Maserati, but the GT was one of their failures. Everyone makes a mistake every now and again. Perhaps if they would have put a super charger on it.... Hmmmmmm.

The Ghibli S Q4 is the ultimate sleeper, it's practical as a family touring vehicle but still has the umph to have a bit of fun. All for a fair price. It's easily the better buy (IMHO).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, 5th post and that's what you decided to go with?? The GT was one of Maserati's failures? You do realize this is a Maserati forum? I find it hard to believe that a car model that was in production for 12 years and is one of the best sounding cars ever produced can be called a failure. Sorry, I don't agree.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
For sure you will not be banned for your opinion, which, although I'm a huge Granturismo fan, has some truth in it.

Yes, the Granturismo was completely overpriced, very soon the list prices could no longer be enforced on the market, very high discounts were normal. And Maserati did not manage to renew this model at the right time, so the last years were rather embarrassing for this car, only a few enthusiasts could still be fascinated by it. Commercially speaking, this car is certainly not a success story for Maserati. Nevertheless, the Granturismo, with its exotic role, is still mainly responsible for the higher-class image of the brand.

The Gibli, although certainly a great car, does not do justice to its role as a Maserati image bearer. Apart from the great design and fine handling, this car offers nothing at all that would make the Maserati brand exceptional. The car offers at most average technology, quality and performance. That is why Maserati urgently needs a new image carrier, otherwise "Bella Italia" is over and Maserati will be reduced in perception to the level of Lancia and Chrysler.

Even the GTS and Trofeo versions of the Levante will not be able to change this. Not to mention the QP. A car completely without innovation, virtually gone from the market.

Yes, the Granturismo may be a mistake by Maserati. But on the whole, probably a very small one. The brand will eventually go under because of the current cars, as they also don't reach their sales figures by far. Because these models have required very high investments in modern production lines, which, however, produce far too few cars. This ratio looked a bit better with the handmade Granturismo.

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
I can get on board with all that you said. And with everything I said, I still love Maserati from start to finish as far as the cars go (corporate is a whole other ball of wax). And while I'd love to drive a Dodge Demon down the track a few times, I would rather own a Maserati, and really, the Ghibli S Q4 is not so bad with the RaceChip. In stage 6, I did 0-60 in 3.32 seconds. I didn't time to 100, but it was very quick. Stage 7 still needs some tuning. I'll do 1/4 mile numbers tomorrow. The RaceChip actually lets you load the turbos at a stop, so the lag is minimal.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I also love the Maserati brand as much as I also like the current products. But Maserati should soon be developing some extraordinary products to continue the tradition of the past. I think the "premium" potential is still in the brand. My hopes are high that the merger with PSA will relieve the pressure on in-house developments in the field of electrification and thus create more financial room for sharpening Maserati products.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Seriously ?! We’re comparing a Ghibli to the GT ? So what if the performance is close, even comparing a QP to a GT has little relevance, but comparing the Ghibli to the GT, is like comparing a Bentley Continental GT to a Ferrari 599 Fiorano . Bulky / boxy looking fast car vs. a jaw dropping, stunningly beautiful fast car . Sure this is a subjective matter but 99 % of any reasonable comparison starts and ends with the aesthetics of the two cars. With the GT being in the top league of “art on wheels“ designs, mentioning it in the same breath with a Ghibli ( ok, so it’s better looking than a BMW or Mercedes sedan..) just because they’re both made by Maserati, is a bit silly ... IMO.

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
Seriously ?! We’re comparing a Ghibli to the GT ? So what if the performance is close, even comparing a QP to a GT has little relevance, but comparing the Ghibli to the GT, is like comparing a Bentley Continental GT to a Ferrari 599 Fiorano . Bulky / boxy looking fast car vs. a jaw dropping, stunningly beautiful fast car . Sure this is a subjective matter but 99 % of any reasonable comparison starts and ends with the aesthetics of the two cars. With the GT being in the top league of “art on wheels“ designs, mentioning it in the same breath with a Ghibli ( ok, so it’s better looking than a BMW or Mercedes sedan..) just because they’re both made by Maserati, is a bit silly ... IMO.
Did you realize this thread was started with a post about how awesome the Ghibli is? Perhaps you should start one for the GT.... just a suggestion.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Even a low end Tesla blows the performance away from both cars (most cars lol). Kind of hard to compare the Ghibli and GT, just two different classes of vehicles, for completely different situations. Same with electrics, just different types of use cases...

Ghibli is a great/fun car, not sure if a Maserati sedan fits our family's needs unfortunately.. maybe some day things will change. The only v6 we'll own is my wife's Sienna... The only electric we'll own is my kid's scooter, although I'm open to see where Nikola Motor takes us, may buy something different then.

My first car was a V8, 1970 Boss 302 Mustang. I learned a lot on that car, but got rid of it and thought one day I'd buy it again. Actually ended up going with the GT when the opportunity arose, but the frame of it is still parked in front of my GT every day.

Ironically I had a contractor at the house a few days ago and he mentioned he rented/loved the Ghibli (apparently he was out trying to pick up women? (n)). Then he saw the GT in the garage and mentioned specifically the 4.7 and V8 differences between the Ghilbi and GT.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
IMO, the 302 Boss had one of greatest exhaust sounds ; definitely in the top ten cars I’ve ever heard ( to my ears anyway .. sound is as subjective as it gets ) . The reason I responded to this thread is not necessarily because of the original post, but the subsequent one which went into a detailed comparison of the two cars primarily based on a performance vs price criteria.. to me that‘s a completely irrelevant comparison between two cars with such stark differences between them in appearance .

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
I was more or less pointing out the great price disparity between the two for what you actually get.....

And I agree even Ford’s little 302 Boss sounds pretty good.... or even a hercy Chevy big block......

·
Registered
2015 Ghibli S Q4
26 Posts
Anyway, the topic is Ghibli.... so I was trying to point out the positives of the Ghibli. So to the person who started this topic: sorry for digressions..... back to Ghibli. It is a wonderful design.... and as for Maserati dollars, it’s a fair deal.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I can’t disagree with that ; for the price, the Ghibli is an extraordinary car, and maybe the best deal on the market ( in its class ) and with eye-pleasing aesthetics which, IMO, dwarf any BMWs, MBZs, Audis, etc. boring looking sedans, so its all good for the Maserati family , I just didn‘t think it’s a fair comparison to a GTS, which is spite of its few flaws and high price point is a car which will be etched in automotive history, whereas Ghiblis and even QPs, will be soon forgotten as just another “nice“ but not memorable car..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts