Maserati Forum banner

501 - 520 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
No way, I'm not believing it. The wheel base is too long to be anything less than an E class or 500 series. BTW, this is a driver's car, screw the back seat passenger! LOL

If you want leg room, get the QP or big Caddy. :autofahrer:
Good point.. Agree +1

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you think legroom is so important, which of course it can be, then you should get that 5 Series or E Class or a QP. This car is in a different league from these boring German sedans. Drive it then talk about it, don't just sit in the back seat. If you drove and feel the same way still about the back seat and want a Maserati driving experience get the QP because their back seat is HUGE! By the way, the Ghibli backseat was perhaps like a C Class or 3 Series sized back seat and that is plenty big enough for me as I only have little kids and if I have to take adults in the back they can just deal with it because I am not a fricken taxi and I have a huge Mercedes GL for long family trips and taxi service of relatives from the airport, but give me my Maserati to drive everyday and save the big back seat for when I need it.

+++++++++++++
Please save the Maserati's for the people that really can't live without one, and just buy your German sedan if you are not love with this Italian.
+++++++++++++

·
Registered
231 Posts
my son is almost six feet and he had no problem sitting in the back or getting out. Yes with the front all the way back the rear is small but as one poster stated if you "share" all is good. I am not going to drive cross country and back seat room was actually one of my criteria as i do want to use the car as a family sedan for going to dinner or whatever. a 90 minute trip to AC should not be a problem I think the comments about back seat room are a bit harsh IMHO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I compared my E class directly to the Ghibli…they have the same amount of backseat room. I'm 5'10" and with the driver seat positioned appropriately backseat space is a non issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
my son is almost six feet and he had no problem sitting in the back or getting out. Yes with the front all the way back the rear is small but as one poster stated if you "share" all is good. I am not going to drive cross country and back seat room was actually one of my criteria as i do want to use the car as a family sedan for going to dinner or whatever. a 90 minute trip to AC should not be a problem I think the comments about back seat room are a bit harsh IMHO.
Good to know, this is becoming the consensus that the back seat is not actually "useless" as many have reported. I just can't wait to see it in the real and drive it. It seems like people who have "driven it" love it. That is encouraging.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Good to know, this is becoming the consensus that the back seat is not actually "useless" as many have reported. I just can't wait to see it in the real and drive it. It seems like people who have "driven it" love it. That is encouraging.
The back seat is definitely not useless but it is simply smaller than the current QP 5 and more on a par with the 3-series/C-class. I am curious how it compares with the 6-series Gran Coupe, Audi A7 which I think more of its natural competitors...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree with mowlas. I owned 4 generations of 5 series and the rear seats are not nearly as spacious in the Ghibli, I would imagine the E class has similar space as 5 series. I would say that the rear leg room is somewhere in the range between 3 and 5 series, leaning towards 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The back seat is definitely not useless but it is simply smaller than the current QP 5 and more on a par with the 3-series/C-class. I am curious how it compares with the 6-series Gran Coupe, Audi A7 which I think more of its natural competitors...
Recently, I think about 2-3 weeks ago, there was a test with the QP and de BMW Gran Coupe M6 in a car magazine (I'm from Belgium, but I think the magazine was from the Netherlands). In short, they wrote the BMW was developed for the American market: very fast forward, but not that good in corners. Following that same magazine, the QP was (much) better on that aspect, whilst at the same time 'surprisingly' comfortable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have to agree with mowlas. I owned 4 generations of 5 series and the rear seats are not nearly as spacious in the Ghibli, I would imagine the E class has similar space as 5 series. I would say that the rear leg room is somewhere in the range between 3 and 5 series, leaning towards 3.
E class back seats are a little tighter than the 5 series, have had both.

I think one issue with the E class and back seats is the E class (at least the one I had) had very thick backs on the front seats to house all the electronics. Which in turn pushed it further into the back seat area. I'm thinking my E class front seat backs were about 3 inches thicker than my 5 series and the 5 series was about 3 years newer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The E class backseats are slightly smaller then the 5 series I would agree. I have both an newer E and 3 series and the Ghibli's rear leg room is equivalent to the E, maybe slightly smaller, but much better then the 3 series.

·
Registered
11 Posts
V6 Maserati engine 404 HP, AWD in the Ghibli S Q4
Engine made specifically for the Ghibli by Ferrari
The shared Chrysler components has to do with the chassis
and the IT / Nav system

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone with the experience with the HOP in the rear end when car is just starting out or taking early R or L turns before the car warms up. Seems to me to be happening with cold weather worse than warmer, above 45 does not seem to be as prominent. Makes me think something in the rear transmission of the AWD is amiss and that the transmission fluid perhaps pools and not fully coating the gears until the car warms up or the ambient temperative is warm enough. Any potential this is a defect that can damage the car? Is anyone else experiencing this problem and feels this in their Ghibli?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hop

Anyone with the experience with the HOP in the rear end when car is just starting out or taking early R or L turns before the car warms up. Seems to me to be happening with cold weather worse than warmer, above 45 does not seem to be as prominent. Makes me think something in the rear transmission of the AWD is amiss and that the transmission fluid perhaps pools and not fully coating the gears until the car warms up or the ambient temperative is warm enough. Any potential this is a defect that can damage the car? Is anyone else experiencing this problem and feels this in their Ghibli?
I experienced something akin to this the first time I went for a test drive. It was quite cold that day but dry. Was probably in the high 20s -mid 30s. It seemed to me the tires were breaking away from the pavement even under very modest acceleration and turning.
Last week I went back to the dealer and drove a car equipped with the Pirelli sotto zero snow tires. The weather conditions were similar, maybe a but colder. I purposely drove the same winding uphill, downhill route. The difference was night and day. I started pushing the car harder once I realized this and could not get the tires to break away, skid or slide. My assumption is that the summer tires are just too hard below 40-50 degrees. (I have experienced the same thing with my granturismo, but not to the same extent. However, I rarely drive it below 50 degrees. )
The dealer indicated that Maserati will cover half the cost of the snow tires. He has been trying to get them to offer all weather tires from the factory, but they have refused. This alternative is probably a better deal as long as you don't mind swapping and storing them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The new turbo 2.0 engines built by the Germans are all accessing the highest torque from 1500 rpm on. Take the BMW 520i for example. I do hope it is entertaining and the V6 is not diluting the brand.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had a similar issue with my XJL mostly because I left the key in it while parked in the garage. Don't leave your electronic keys in your cars, I hear they keep the computer awake and drain the battery.

Since taking the key out, no more issues with battery.

·
Registered
112 Posts
FYI, do not rely on the actual design, as Maserati is testing all its new cars with the ghibli body..
Mysterious Maserati test mule could be upcoming Alfa Romeo Giulia - Autoblog
The mule in those images isn't a Maserati at all, it's an Alfa Romeo (proj. 952, a midsize sedan sized slighly larger than a BMW 3 series). Among other things, you can tell that the placement of the front brake calipers is towards the driver, as opposed to what you can find in your ghibli (towards the front of the car) ;) But it;s plain to see that what's underneath sits closer to the ground and is considerably smaller than a Ghibli in both track and wheelbase.

Trivia time :nerd: : the reason it's hiding under a hacked-up Ghibli is because the development of the new Alfa Romeo rides is taking place in Modena, in a former Maserati Corse warehouse. They use what is available on site...plus a few Maserati and Ferrari engineers are involved in the project.

501 - 520 of 521 Posts