Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
From the article: "... and a mid-sized sports sedan designed to compete with the likes of the BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG."

If only it was true, it would at least be great because competing with these particular models would be good for Maserati's image, sales and profitability.

Looking forward to seeing the new quattroporte too, the real quattroporte, the big one (the current QP has such a perfect size I think, such a presence, the right dimension, the sexiest sedan on the road).

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought their "baby" car was just going to compete with the regular trim levels of the E and the 5 - how many M5s and E63s are even sold, for it to be worth Maserati trying to take share in that segment?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought their "baby" car was just going to compete with the regular trim levels of the E and the 5 - how many M5s and E63s are even sold, for it to be worth Maserati trying to take share in that segment?
There can easily be "Levante", "Levante S" and "Levante GT-S" to compete with their regular 5 series, 5 Sport and M5.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes indeed, M139 rules the world of sedans

From the article: "... (the current QP has such a perfect size I think, such a presence, the right dimension, the sexiest sedan on the road).
Sunshine, you are right on. For those of us who need a sedan, the Quattroporte is a dream come true. Neptuno.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Sunshine, you are right on. For those of us who need a sedan, the Quattroporte is a dream come true. Neptuno.
I'd second that. The QP pushes all the right buttons for me. Maybe just slightly larger than I'd like, but I'm even uncommitted to that gripe.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Will this new car go back to the older Qporte size when they were turbos?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Big problem with this so called "Baby Maserati" is the proposed engine.

Maser's re-birth and success has been in no small part, due to that epic Ferrari-sourced V8.

Lose that and you lose the core appeal. The thunderous sound akin to a warehouse fireworks explosion.

Sourcing a Chrysler Pentastar V6, IMO, is like heading down the same disastrous road that Alfa Romeo did with their GM alliance. Sales for the 159/Brera globally were a disaster which even FIAT Group big cheese, Harald Wester admitted to.

To this day, enthusiasts, rightly or wrongly, still whine about how the GM sourced V6 is nowhere near as epic as the Arese V6 of old.

A Baby Maser needs a Ferrari engine. Even if Marchionne's bean counters say that's counter to current corporate strategy.

In trying to save money by using an engine in the Chrysler/FIAT alliance, they'll actually lose money in prospective buyers staying away.

History never repeats?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Alfa-GM alliance? Did you mean Fiat?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correct.

Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa Romeo all under the FIAT Group but of course it was only Alfa that took on the GM Premium platform and V6 engine block.

Now with FIAT's partnership with Chrysler, it's time for Alfa to share the parts bin with that company. And unfortunately, to a lesser extent, Maserati as well. Big mistake IMO.

Thankfully Maser will still be sourcing Ferrari's V8s for the new QP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Big problem with this so called "Baby Maserati" is the proposed engine.

Maser's re-birth and success has been in no small part, due to that epic Ferrari-sourced V8.

Lose that and you lose the core appeal. The thunderous sound akin to a warehouse fireworks explosion.

Sourcing a Chrysler Pentastar V6, IMO, is like heading down the same disastrous road that Alfa Romeo did with their GM alliance. Sales for the 159/Brera globally were a disaster which even FIAT Group big cheese, Harald Wester admitted to.

To this day, enthusiasts, rightly or wrongly, still whine about how the GM sourced V6 is nowhere near as epic as the Arese V6 of old.

A Baby Maser needs a Ferrari engine. Even if Marchionne's bean counters say that's counter to current corporate strategy.

In trying to save money by using an engine in the Chrysler/FIAT alliance, they'll actually lose money in prospective buyers staying away.

History never repeats?
My dealer has confirmed to me that the engine will be a twin turbo V-6 developed and built by Ferrari rated at +/- 450 HP. The only involvement with Chrysler is the shared platform and the fact they will be built in Detroit.

Lino

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealer has confirmed to me that the engine will be a twin turbo V-6 developed and built by Ferrari rated at +/- 450 HP. The only involvement with Chrysler is the shared platform and the fact they will be built in Detroit.

Lino
Great News if that is indeed the case for the Baby Maser!

The V6 Pentastar speculation was based on a number of online articles, such as this:

New Maserati Quattroporte | Release Date 2012

Still wouldn't rule out Marchionne going down the Chrysler path with the Baby Maser engine.

All speculation I guess.

Needless to say, a Ferrari Turbo V6 and I'd be very interested.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
I've accepted "confirmations" from dealers in the past which turned out to be false. Unfortunately, until we get a final spec sheet from Maserati anything is possible.

I do hope that the ~450 HP engine remains accurate, regardless of who ultimately builds it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, the 458 replacement may well have a turbo V6 - so if such a platform appears first in this baby QP, that wouldn't be totally out of line with the corporate product evolution.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
450? I am highly skeptical of that number.

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 20 of 523 Posts