Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided to get myself a fun car and the Gran Turismo and the QP are two of the three cars on my choice list (Aston Martin DB9 is the other).
I'm fairly new to exotic/performance cars. I've historically had "reliable" German cars, so I have no background in the various items and tempermentalities discussed on this forum. Seems like both makes can have reliability issues, so that seems to not be a differentiating factor.

What resources would you guys recommend for getting up to speed on the trade offs among the various years cars and the options that are/were available? It seems there can be significant changes from one year to the next (e.g. transmission)

Also, how can I get a handle on the value of a pre-owned Mas? A person near me is selling his/her 2005 GranTurismo (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=220266574126). I'm working on figuring out what the relevant factors are here. Also, need to get a handle on what repair items should have been done or are imminent (e.g. clutch, brakes, etc).

Guidance or recommendation of any resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Also, how can I get a handle on the value of a pre-owned Mas? A person near me is selling his/her 2005 GranTurismo (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=220266574126). I'm working on figuring out what the relevant factors are here. Also, need to get a handle on what repair items should have been done or are imminent (e.g. clutch, brakes, etc).

That's not a GranTurismo, but a Coupe' Cambiocorsa (the previous model). Completely different cars :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mea culpa for merely copying the name from the title on ebay, but it does certainly prove my need for education.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Well, Aston and Maserati share a lot of similarities in terms of the type of cars they make and the philosophy behind them. You should have a go in both cars and see which one you like best.

Beyond that, Maserati has a proud racing heritage, shared with its "sister" Ferrari, whereas Aston is now in a bit of a situation, being owned by Prodrive and private equity money.

I think Maserati's GranTurismo and Quattroporte offer a high degree of fit & finish and general reliability. I can't comment on the modern Astons.

·
Registered
722 Posts
IMHO you might want to consider the AMV8 as well. It's closer to the previous generation (pre-Granturismo) Maser coupes in size and performance, but with an improved transmission and I think better exterior looks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts