Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, after 3 years of pining, I purchased a 15' Granturismo Sport last Thursday. I went with black on red (MC Sport Line trim) and I figured that black would be lowkey. However, that has not been the case. Every time I'm driving, I hear someone call out "MASERATI!" as I drive by. People stare at me at stoplights. When I look at them, they look away quickly, but then I catch them staring at me afterwards. Tonight, when I was filling up my car for the first time ever, this old gentleman shouted out "MASERATI!" and "MASERATI COUPE!" over and over. I smiled and looked down to pump my gas, but he came over and started talking to me. I basically got a ten minute life lesson which mainly consisted of advice such as to never get married, and to watch out for golddiggers. This has never happened to me before, and I'm a pretty introverted person so it definitely made me feel uncomfortable. I had an AMG prior to this and received nowhere near this amount of attention. I've also been recorded as I've driven by. I've seen people stop in their tracks to watch me pass. I'm from a wealthy area so I see quite a handful of exotics, but I never expected GT ownership to be this intense.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you search 'Debadge' you'll get lots of advice.

I started a debadge thread years ago after too much attention of the wrong kind-
at the border, by the police - to name two instances

After removing the rear trunk badge on my QP I was much better

after the removal , if/when people asked me about the car (what kind of car is that ?)
I just said it was a Buick - and pointed to the 3 portholes......
The usual was response was -- Naaah!

·
Registered
199 Posts
People truly love and respect Maserati's. I would never dream of debadging it!!! A Humble thank you works well here
I have no idea why its duping a post???

·
Registered
45 Posts
You aren't alone in that opinion

Search 'debadge'...
we had healthy discussions about it years ago

I admit to being a bit different in that regard - logo removal
I have a drawer full of little alligators I have rescued from shirts

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you search 'Debadge' you'll get lots of advice.

I started a debadge thread years ago after too much attention of the wrong kind-
at the border, by the police - to name two instances

After removing the rear trunk badge on my QP I was much better

after the removal , if/when people asked me about the car (what kind of car is that ?)
I just said it was a Buick - and pointed to the 3 portholes......
The usual was response was -- Naaah!
I really don't know how to respond to your post....from a Snarky response to your way to concerned with what others think to absolute crazy action you supposedly have taken....speechless...

·
Registered
45 Posts
The US border patrol pulled me in for no reason --
My papers need updating they said..I went in - the office said everything was in order...

The booth man came in and said to him --
Come with me - Wait til you see this.....

All for their curiosity when they should have been working and I should have been waved through

Screw 'em....

I had MUCH LESS curiosity after the removal
But there were way fewer Maseratis on the road then compared to now
It was different world then -- check out the dates on the threads

Our OP feels about the same way....he started the thread

·
Registered
45 Posts
hahaha

this old thread might be just up your alley -

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dont really have an issue with the attention. Im busy driving and dont pay to much attention to things that are not on the road in front or behind me. But the GF or any other passenger really notices the attention. I tell everybody before they get in to be prepared for the attention.

Personally, as long as there is positive feedback I dont see the issue. I gladly talk to someone that wants to share a story because they appreciate the car as much as I do. If I see a kid looking, ill shift down and gently push down the throttle. Driving these cars not only brings a smile to my face, but seeing and hearing it is something special for a lot of people.

There might also be more negative attention, but that is also part of owning an 'exotic'. With these car's you have to accept that you will attract more attention. And Maserati has quite a good reputation and isnt as flashy as a Ferrari or Lambo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sure - Filming the car as we pass on a highway..... all that stuff is normal

It was the attention from law enforcement - border patrol & police - I objected to.

The pick up chicks thread I posted earlier has an anecdote about a cop stopping a Maserati
and wanting to race to the next light...
That wouldn't bother me.....
being detained for their pleasure/amusement DOES !!

·
Registered
199 Posts
They could just as easliy detain you in a Maxima, tinted glass etc. Probably have done that a thousand times more BTW.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The US border patrol pulled me in for no reason --
My papers need updating they said..I went in - the office said everything was in order...

The booth man came in and said to him --
Come with me - Wait til you see this.....

All for their curiosity when they should have been working and I should have been waved through

Screw 'em....

I had MUCH LESS curiosity after the removal
But there were way fewer Maseratis on the road then compared to now
It was different world then -- check out the dates on the threads

Our OP feels about the same way....he started the thread
The Border Protection officer sent you to secondary screening for a reason...to help protect the country. Whether you like it or not, profiling IS part of their job and they do their job because it is a different world now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
WRONG !!
they spoke in front of me....
The counter man said - why did you send him....?
His papers are all good and recent

That's when the - Let's go look at his car - came up

US plates, US resident.... me the driver.....

All BS and the booth man admitted it to his pal

Jerks - Jerking around

and pre 9/11

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rented a Uhaul Trailer to pull my 2015 GT Convertible to Miami, didn't want to put 1500 miles on the car, it now shows 12800. My Pickup could haul a whole bunch suit cases and beach stuff. Boy, you talk about getting looks, but that city is full of fun cars, and people really like to see them. The younger men, I tell them, it took me 56 years to be able to afford a used Maserati, I feel it's my duty to inform the peasants that I worked hard my whole life to own this car. Old guys just admire it period. I am a happily married man, but boy what a chick magnet. I had one 40+ hottie coming on to me when she saw the car in the VIP out front. Her husband was across the street on his way soon, but she just wanted to let me know her very forward comments on what she like. humm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rented a Uhaul Trailer to pull my 2015 GT Convertible to Miami, didn't want to put 1500 miles on the car, it now shows 12800. My Pickup could haul a whole bunch suit cases and beach stuff. Boy, you talk about getting looks, but that city is full of fun cars, and people really like to see them. The younger men, I tell them, it took me 56 years to be able to afford a used Maserati, I feel it's my duty to inform the peasants that I worked hard my whole life to own this car. Old guys just admire it period. I am a happily married man, but boy what a chick magnet. I had one 40+ hottie coming on to me when she saw the car in the VIP out front. Her husband was across the street on his way soon, but she just wanted to let me know her very forward comments on what she like. humm.
Just curious, what color is your GT? I lived in Miami for 4 years and was able to feast my eyes on a fair share of amazing cars. Fun place to be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont really have an issue with the attention. Im busy driving and dont pay to much attention to things that are not on the road in front or behind me. But the GF or any other passenger really notices the attention. I tell everybody before they get in to be prepared for the attention.

Personally, as long as there is positive feedback I dont see the issue. I gladly talk to someone that wants to share a story because they appreciate the car as much as I do. If I see a kid looking, ill shift down and gently push down the throttle. Driving these cars not only brings a smile to my face, but seeing and hearing it is something special for a lot of people.

There might also be more negative attention, but that is also part of owning an 'exotic'. With these car's you have to accept that you will attract more attention. And Maserati has quite a good reputation and isnt as flashy as a Ferrari or Lambo.
What do people think about Maserati? Do they think it is on par with other brands like Aston Martin, or even Ferrari? I'm still trying to pinpoint why the car gets so much attention.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What do people think about Maserati? Do they think it is on par with other brands like Aston Martin, or even Ferrari? I'm still trying to pinpoint why the car gets so much attention.
I would say its in the bentley, aston martin, rolls royce category. Not as flashy as a lamborghini or ferrari, not as common as a Porsche, AMG, GTI, Mustang, Corvette or M car. Because its so uncommon and unknown you get the attention. Where an AMG looks just like a regular mercedes sedan, with a granturismo people have to stop an see what it is.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hello gentlemen,

I hope everyone is well. I have a red Gransport and it’s extremely loud. I always have people wanting to race me or they seem to drive fast around me...no matter what they drive....it becomes annoying at times but I’ve learned to deal with it.

I would say a Maserati is pretty prestigious....not only because of the racing history but because of the several classic lines this breed has, not to mention the MC12 which, for all tense and purpose is an Enzo is some regards.

My car was vandalized a few years ago, they stole the whole front mesh grille and all the badging in the car as well....but they also hit the M5 and GT3 parked next to me.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would say its in the bentley, aston martin, rolls royce category.
I highly doubt. Bentley, AM, RR are a step above. Many steps above. Completely
higher class. Another category.

I don't believe you could find a 10 years old Bentley and Aston Martin with 20-25k $.....(i.e. QP V)

Don't compare apple with oranges. 😉

1 - 20 of 72 Posts