Maserati Forum banner

Getting ready to lower - couple quick questions

445 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  DEMARCOM
Hi All,

Did an exhaustive search before asking this, but couldn't find answers. I'm getting ready to install my FD lowering springs (standard offering) and have a couple questions:

1) Can I install only the rear lowering springs? The front looks right to me and I don't need to do the additional work unless it's required.

2) Will lowering just the rear (or both if recommended) force me to do another alignment? I have the front dialed in and have very little wear showing since getting it aligned to the "proper" specs - not the factory inside eating specs - last summer.

Appreciate any insight.

Gary
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Hi All,

Did an exhaustive search before asking this, but couldn't find answers. I'm getting ready to install my FD lowering springs (standard offering) and have a couple questions:

1) Can I install only the rear lowering springs? The front looks right to me and I don't need to do the additional work unless it's required.

2) Will lowering just the rear (or both if recommended) force me to do another alignment? I have the front dialed in and have very little wear showing since getting it aligned to the "proper" specs - not the factory inside eating specs - last summer.

Appreciate any insight.

Gary
Curious as to what your mileage is with your dialed in front's. I'm about 33k miles on my front's, (all-season Conti's).
Just over 4k since I replaced them last summer when I bought the car as the fronts were shot. Using the Michelins that everyone seems to like.
Reactions: 1
1.) You'll want to install all 4 as the lowered springs are a different rate and you need all 4 to work together correctly.
2.) yes, you'll need an alignment..

Did you find someone locally to do it ? Jason
Hey Jason. Thank you for the answers. Makes complete sense.

I'm taking it out to my brother's this weekend and he's got a 4 post lift in his race shop (races dirt late models in MS). He's going to take a look and see if it's in his wheelhouse.

Any "gotchas" that we need to be aware of? If it's more than he's comfortable doing, then it'll be going to your shop when I can get it scheduled with Vance. I'll keep you posted next week

Gary
You are gonna need a spring compressor and not that tools of death they sell at the auto parts store...If you have shykook the wires themselves coming out of the shock can make it challenging without the correct tools..The skyhook connector in the rear is also a PITA to get to and requires the truck trim to all come apart...I'll be around on Sunday watching all that car racing if you need to PM me..Jason
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
Thanks! My brother is a master mechanic (like you) - his tools could buy me some really nice Rolex watches. The skyhook part is what might derail us. We shall see.

We're trying to get all the work done Saturday so we can do the same thing Sunday. F1, Indy, Charlotte. Thanks for offering to be available to help.
Did your springs come with a wrench and socket? J
Mine did from Formula Dynamics (skyhook). You'll need something like this, 17mm, You will also want to use some string in the rear to snake the wire back into the trunk easily.

See less See more
Mine did not come w/ the rachet and socket.

Thanks for the tip with the string!
Reactions: 1
You are gonna need that wrench and if you notice the socket it isn't stock...It has been turned down on a lathe...You need to call FD and get one shipped...J
So much for the plan to get the work done..... Guess we'll just drink beer. Thanks for letting me know!
Reactions: 3
Mine were easy to install.... Jason did it...
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
1 - 13 of 13 Posts