Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a high end sports cars makes you stand out .... including others challenging you while driving. Of course, most of the time my testosterone takes over and i accept.

I've only had this car a couple of months, but there have been moments. My other car is an Alfa 4C , and it's VERY quick. Very few cars scare me and I've had no problems impressing and/or leaving other cars in the dust. But i know my limits: GTR, new Corvette, 911 Turbo.

What are your experiences? What are the top speeds on these? Cars that have <gulp> beat you?

DISCLAIMER: I do not condone street racing :wink2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's rare that I can go out without having some jacked-up truck or soccer mom SUV looking to race.

I pretty much just ignore everyone while driving. The looks say Ferrari fast, but the car is a heavy GT. I don't care about your Touareg, and I know your C7 is way faster.

My AMG is a different story. Almost the opposite experience. No one really pays attention to it, but I can leave Corvettes and Porsches in the dust.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I could not care less about anyone who challenges me. I ignore all those . Even though I know the capabilities of most cars and realize those I can outrun and those with which I have no chance, I don't see the point of street or highway racing. I haven't seen that point even when I was much younger, and the vast majority of cars I have owned have been muscle cars in my early years or Porsches for the last 35 or so years. I buy them simply for my own enjoyment of the power and fun they deliver, no need to prove that to anyone else. That's reserved for the track, and I have done that for many years, but NEVER raced anyone on the street or highway. That's just me...everyone is different though, just be cognizant that the consequences of anything going wrong could devastate and change your life ..or end it. IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our cars are not very fast. you can get a nice off the line pull, but I don't think they accelerate very well on the highway. I had a Modified Ford Focus ST keep up with me on the highway. they are 350HP stock and much lighter than us by probably 1000 lbs. I would not challenge or try to hang with just about anything modern with a V8. Mustangs (420HP), Camaros (420+), Dodges (400+), let alone Vettes and BMW, Porsche will all walk us stock for stock.

This is an amazing looking and sounding car and super comfortable too, but not a racer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There was a guy in a nissan altima trying to race me... i would not stoop that low.. so i did not respond.. then he rolls down his window and shows me a thumbs down.. trying to race a GTS with a 2.5L altima?!! Dumb ass

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did a quick race with a newer 5.0 mustang in moderate traffic coming out of San Francisco. I believe the shifting in my GTS allowed me to pull away and out maneuver the stang for about what felt like 5-8 minutes. Remember San Francisco is only 7x7 miles wide.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Don't get much drivers trying to challenge me. Mainly due to the fact that traffic has us all maxed out around 30mph. You look kind of foolish pulling up and revving the engine when you only have a couple of car lengths of open road in front of you. Also, the GT is not a fast accelerating car by current standards. It was pretty fast when it first came out in 2007, but 0-60 in 4.8 sec is pretty pedestrian nowadays. It is interesting to note that my friend's 2007 E55 AMG gets a lot more attention on the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just had a few tesla's/bmws try to race me at the lights, but the QP 6 GTS really pulls hard with 530hp and 710 nm torque. So no loss yet. I've also had a mercedes AMG GTS convertible try to out exhaust me in a tunnel, but I showed him the true sound of the Maserati and won the tunnel noise. I think the great thing with my car when its out of warranty I could stage 1 tune and get some high power/torque out of the car. Kerb weight is only 1900kg as well for this beast.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Only from a standstill. Those milk bottle engines fitted in small cars loose their oomph pretty quickly at highway speeds.
Precisely ! More than half of the cars which can leave the GT in the dust off the line and up to 60 mph, will get annihilated by the GT from even a rolling 40 mph start, and particularly more so at triple digit speeds ..by the time they get to 125 + all they’ll see is the GT rear end getting smaller and smaller far away in front of them .. The GT is not “quick”, but it’s still a respectably “fast” car even by today’s standards.. It has incredibly long legs.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Precisely ! More than half of the cars which can leave the GT in the dust off the line and up to 60 mph, will get annihilated by the GT from even a rolling 40 mph start, and particularly more so at triple digit speeds ..by the time they get to 125 + all they’ll see is the GT rear end getting smaller and smaller far away in front of them .. The GT is not “quick”, but it’s still a respectably “fast” car even by today’s standards.. It has incredibly long legs.

Very true. On highways I notice when rolling at 40 mph +/- I can downshift and really pull away from most other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
That QP 6 GTS must be a blast to drive on the highway . With that kind of torque, in spite of its weight , it must fly at top MPH ranges , might even give many Ferraris and Lamborghinis a run for their money ..no ? I must find one to test drive just to get a sense of how it feels ( I’ve driven less than a handful of four door cars in my life )

Reminiscent of a 928 GTS I once owned, which by today’s standards would be considered a bit piggish, but when you stepped on that gas pedal on a freeway you immediately realized why those cars were built for the autobahn :grin2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've just had a few tesla's/bmws try to race me at the lights, but the QP 6 GTS really pulls hard with 530hp and 710 nm torque. So no loss yet. I've also had a mercedes AMG GTS convertible try to out exhaust me in a tunnel, but I showed him the true sound of the Maserati and won the tunnel noise. I think the great thing with my car when its out of warranty I could stage 1 tune and get some high power/torque out of the car. Kerb weight is only 1900kg as well for this beast.
the encounters at lights with any of the Tesla P cars couldn't have went well
the P85D P90D P100D will all embarass Ferrari 458's and Lambo's in those 1/8 mile runs :surprise:

·
Registered
85 Posts
the P85D P90D P100D will all embarass Ferrari 458's and Lambo's in those 1/8 mile runs :surprise:

Yup, lining up to a Tesla is not in my vocabulary. Everyone knows those cars pull hard and fast. Apples to Oranges though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup, lining up to a Tesla is not in my vocabulary. Everyone knows those cars pull hard and fast. Apples to Oranges though.
I know those cars are very fast off the line for 1/8 mile. I think what happened in my case was the drivers reaction time to the light turning green was not good. I was light watching lol. Not a good idea at a intersection because someone could jump the red light, but as soon as it went from amber to green I was off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That QP 6 GTS must be a blast to drive on the highway . With that kind of torque, in spite of its weight , it must fly at top MPH ranges , might even give many Ferraris and Lamborghinis a run for their money ..no ? I must find one to test drive just to get a sense of how it feels ( I’ve driven less than a handful of four door cars in my life )

Reminiscent of a 928 GTS I once owned, which by today’s standards would be considered a bit piggish, but when you stepped on that gas pedal on a freeway you immediately realized why those cars were built for the autobahn :grin2:
Its kerb weight is not too bad at 1900kg, Its actually 100kg lighter than a m5. Then the stock power is 530hp and 710 nm torque. Fantastic highway cruiser gets up to high speed very quickly. Being a twin turbo v8 a stage 1 dyno tune would also get you big gains in power/torque if you wanted. You should go drive one, I am sure you'll walk away with a grin on your face.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know those cars are very fast off the line for 1/8 mile. I think what happened in my case was the drivers reaction time to the light turning green was not good. I was light watching lol. Not a good idea at a intersection because someone could jump the red light, but as soon as it went from amber to green I was off.
......or the tesla driver wasn't trying or it was a base model
instant torque no gearing

love the Q but it would get walked off the line- 0-60- 1/8 mile- 1/4 mile but the Q looks much better:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts