Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as it pains me to add a front plate to my car it's the law in Texas and I certainly don't want to give cops another reason to pull me over. I ordered Gcalo's license plate mount which is made for Ferraris to solve the problem. His mount screws into the tow hook on the front so no drilling is required. I did have to modify it somewhat to work with my '04 coupe. The tow hook rod is too short and causes the plate holder to bend when mounted. I solved this by adding a 1 inch stainless steel spacer and a longer machine screw to attach the plate holder to the tow hook rod. The screws that were provided to attach the license plate to the holder were also too long in my opinion so I replaced those with shorter ones as well. He only charges $35 for his mount and an additional spend of $3 modifies it for Maseratis. This is much less than moweraxels solution which is ~$100. If Texas ever repeals the front plate requirement I can easily remove it with no holes drilled in my bumper.

Attachments

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
alarm kit

Sorry this is off thread but I wasn't able to get in touch with you otherwise. If you could please send me the part number for the alarm kit or the copy of the invoice you mentioned earlier I'd very much appreciate it. My email is [email protected] or you could private message me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry this is off thread but I wasn't able to get in touch with you otherwise. If you could please send me the part number for the alarm kit or the copy of the invoice you mentioned earlier I'd very much appreciate it. My email is [email protected] or you could private message me.
I just emailed it to you...I hope it helps!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry I did not know it was a bit short for the Maserati's.

I'll find spacers and include those with a longer 1/2-20 screw.

I did not get feed back on that.

Many thanks for advising and again sorry.

The unit has been designed for Ferrari's. It was a customer who purchased one and advised that it fit his coupe. So I assumed he knew from what he spoke!

I will update the parts count for the Maserati's.

Many thanks.

It is a great solution and with cities and towns uping the ticket ante ($100.00 in San Francisco) it is an inexpensive alternative.

I know of a person who was in another state than his home state who was stopped for not have a front plate in that other state!

Fortunately he had my gizmo in his trunk and put in on there on the spot!

·
Registered
306 Posts
spacer required...

Greg -

Can you forward the said spacer and extended screw when you get them? I have the number plate mount but haven't tried installing it as it wouldn't screw into the towing socket (neither would the tow hook). The car isn't on the road yet so I have time to sort out the socket and then mount the plate.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As much as it pains me to add a front plate to my car it's the law in Texas and I certainly don't want to give cops another reason to pull me over. I ordered Gcalo's license plate mount which is made for Ferraris to solve the problem. His mount screws into the tow hook on the front so no drilling is required. I did have to modify it somewhat to work with my '04 coupe. The tow hook rod is too short and causes the plate holder to bend when mounted. I solved this by adding a 1 inch stainless steel spacer and a longer machine screw to attach the plate holder to the tow hook rod. The screws that were provided to attach the license plate to the holder were also too long in my opinion so I replaced those with shorter ones as well. He only charges $35 for his mount and an additional spend of $3 modifies it for Maseratis. This is much less than moweraxels solution which is ~$100. If Texas ever repeals the front plate requirement I can easily remove it with no holes drilled in my bumper.
Great picture! In fact, it's so good I can see a nasty little drywall screw on the ground right in front of your car! Be careful ;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Greg -

Can you forward the said spacer and extended screw when you get them? I have the number plate mount but haven't tried installing it as it wouldn't screw into the towing socket (neither would the tow hook). ---
I will find them today and send out to you.

As far as fitting into your tow hook, you have to clean those threads first. Either you have caked on dirt or damaged threads. Spray in WD-40, let sit a while, and then use a small brush to clean out.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
FWIW, I also think that this is a good approach to the license plate issues that owners face. It's easily added or removed and is a product that does not leave a mark!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to spray mine with wd40 and let it sit for about 5 minutes before I could screw it in. I tried to do it before spraying wd40 and was sure the rod was too big or the threads didn't match. After wd40 it went in easy as can be.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up Gents. I'll give it a go this weekend.

I noticed on-line that a "european-style" front license plate is available but I'm not sure if it's legal and how the local police force would view them.

They are longer and shallower so might look better - less offset from the hood center-line - if that's a big deal to anyone. You can get backing plates to suit as well but it might still be more flimsy at high speeds than the US style.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
Two things:

As of 04/09/2009 I am supplying a 1 1/4" extension and longer stainless steel screw for the Maserati folks with the kit.

This confuses me why I did not hear of it sooner. A memeber indicated that there may be a front end change with the later model? I think it may be the manner in which the plate holder is mounted onto the shaft.

However, any one who purchased a kit and needs an extension (for his license plate that is!!!) let me know and they will go out.

Caution when first installing the plate shaft if not before done. There is debris that can build up on the threads. If you force our shaft you'll damage the threads on our aluminum shaft. So use WD-40 and your tow hook first to make sure the threads on the car are clean.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QP Yes!

Just received Galo's plate holder and it fits my 07 QP perfectly! Brilliant! It may block the parking sensor but I only plan on using when stopped by police.

Now I need to figure out how to nicely fill the two small drill holes from original plate holder.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just installed GCalo's license plate bracket on my 04 Spyder. Easy. Very practical and elegant solution for those in jurisdiction that requires a front plate. Getting it here to Canada was no problem. Thanks Greg!
Jon

·
Registered
177 Posts
gcalo
do you have pictures?
if I make my way out to the west coast, i will need one of these for my 02 coupe gt
thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
I will post pictures on the weekend - installed on my 4 Spyder. Jon

1 - 20 of 52 Posts