Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to see how low I could get my gas tank to figure out maximume distance from a tank. There was a pretty funny Seinfeld episdoe about this with Kramer driving a Saab for miles and miles after the car should have been empty.

Our owners manual lists the tank at around 23.3 US Gallons. I went for a good 50+ miles with the orange light on past where I'd normally start looking for a station and when I filled I attemped to top off twice until he handle clicked off immediately (could hear the gas splashing in the fill neck).

Anyone want to guess what the total volume sold was...

25.54 gallons!!! (and yes, I checked the ground to make sure it wasn't spilling out anywhere)

I'd be skeptical but the L&I stamp was 2 months old, it's a smaller family run station in my home town and I know the family would never try to cheat their customers and the pumps are new within the last year.

What's the most anyone else has ever put into their tank?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would say 20.5 US gallons without hitting the fuel warning light (only just there) if that helps.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I've been told that in some cases, fuel pumps with evap control vacuum systems on them will actually be sucking perfectly good fuel back in once you hear the "click"...could be urban legend.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I recently decided to see how low I could get my gas tank to figure out maximume distance from a tank. There was a pretty funny Seinfeld episdoe about this with Kramer driving a Saab for miles and miles after the car should have been empty.

Our owners manual lists the tank at around 23.3 US Gallons. I went for a good 50+ miles with the orange light on past where I'd normally start looking for a station and when I filled I attemped to top off twice until he handle clicked off immediately (could hear the gas splashing in the fill neck).

Anyone want to guess what the total volume sold was...

25.54 gallons!!! (and yes, I checked the ground to make sure it wasn't spilling out anywhere)

I'd be skeptical but the L&I stamp was 2 months old, it's a smaller family run station in my home town and I know the family would never try to cheat their customers and the pumps are new within the last year.

What's the most anyone else has ever put into their tank?
Maybe we have a 2 gallon fill neck ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Manufacturers under rate thier tanks by anywhere from 1-4 gallons due to fuel feed they do this so there is always some gas in the tank this is especially important in EFI systems as the pumps do not like running dry (since the fuel is used to cool the electric pumps)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts