Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dragging my feet in bringing the car back to the dealer (Auto Gallery). Last time they had the car for one month. We had an endless tussle before I convinced them the problem was with the torque tube (not the clutch). I think it was, "Is this your first Maserati?" line that really set me off.

Well as a few here have experienced, the gas nozzle shuts off while trying to fill the tank. Unfortunately, this is an intermittent problem. Of course they can't duplicate the error. Sheesh. I'm convinced it's a venting issue. Not sure what they plan to do about it? I loathe getting the car back without a proper repair.

Anybody find the solution?

Also, what chaos is up at The Auto Gallery? The second service manager is gone in less than 12 months. Not the most stable place. The best dealer I've dealt with is in Vegas - bar none.

Wish I could partake in the L.A. rally. First I need a car. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is your gas shut-off problem in a QP? That's a known bug, not sure what the resolution is.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've been dragging my feet in bringing the car back to the dealer (Auto Gallery). Last time they had the car for one month. We had an endless tussle before I convinced them the problem was with the torque tube (not the clutch). I think it was, "Is this your first Maserati?" line that really set me off.

Well as a few here have experienced, the gas nozzle shuts off while trying to fill the tank. Unfortunately, this is an intermittent problem. Of course they can't duplicate the error. Sheesh. I'm convinced it's a venting issue. Not sure what they plan to do about it? I loathe getting the car back without a proper repair.

Anybody find the solution?

Also, what chaos is up at The Auto Gallery? The second service manager is gone in less than 12 months. Not the most stable place. The best dealer I've dealt with is in Vegas - bar none.

Wish I could partake in the L.A. rally. First I need a car. Happy motoring.
I may have your answer. I went through this. Eventually reaching the point where the gas nozzle would click off over 100 times in order to get a tank filled. It was a nightmare. I had it in twice for this at Orange County F/M. They told me there was no problem. First time they fixed the gas flap and second time they pointed out that an "occassional" click off was normal.

When a dealer set up with service in Palm Springs (Rancho Mirage actually) I took it there. It had reached the point I couldn't drive the car. I pleaded with them to accept that there is a problem and fix it. I told them I would not pick up the car until it worked. They called, said they fixed it and tech had taken it out and put gas in with no problem. I picked it up, drove a half mile to a gas station and found no change whatsoever in the problem.

I literally forced the service manager into my car (no charges were filed!) went to a gas station and made him put gas in. It of course clicked off after every few ounces. I made him keep trying, trying all the different angles and insertion depths they had suggested I use. They got the message.

Then, finally, the tech found the problem. They changed out the charcoal filter canister and it now fills normally. Interesting note: The dealer says Maserati refused to honor the warranty on this and they had to eat the cost.

If yours is the same problem it will get worse

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting. I'm wondering if in the process of replacing the canister, one of the attached float valves (see attachment) become "unstuck." Just seems that the most likely problem relates to a venting issue. Given the number of one way valves in the system, one of them certainly has failed. Thanks for your input. Glad your car got fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Try this.

I used to have that problem at some gas stations with my 04 coupe. Then I read a post on this forum that made the problem go away completely.

I was leaving my key in the ignition after I shut the car off then popped the gas tank.

This post said the correct way to fill your tank is to first shut off the car, REMOVE the key, then pop the gas tank.

Since following those instructions I have never had another problem.

The post that states this goes into more detail and its on this board somewhere.

I hope this works for you.

CM

·
Registered
518 Posts
has anyone bypassed the charcoal canister? if so does the car throw a CEL when you do? I have this problem as well and it is very annoying

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boy I've gone down this path before.

First, I never leave the keys in the car when opening the fuel door or fueling (although the valve that opens during this process may be defective).

Second, it can happen at the same gas station, with the same pump. Other times, all is well.

I'm sure it would throw a code if you bypass the canister. I'm mystified as to why bypassing the charcoal canister would matter. Air flows freely through this. No chance for a vacuum to be created. I have a nasty feeling it's going to end up back on my lap without getting repaired. If that's the case, I may start replacing some of these valves myself. Oh joy.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The carbon canister can also get contaminated with fuel if you overfill or keep clicking off after full. I'm not sure if that fairly rapidly evaporates and corrects itself or if can have residual effects.

The clicking off issue seems to be more common on the coasts where they have the big rubber necks for vapor control vs. here where we have a bare nozzle.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not so down here I have this issue constantly (might need to be added to the list of things for service)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I get the car back tomorrow with no fix. Although they did fill my tank :) . They also took care of other warranty issues. Gas cover wouldn't open (bad spring), glove box lock not working (fault lock), and dash lights (MRSP, MSRP, ?) coming on for no reason. I get the feeling that when I call the phone becomes a hot potato.

I spoke to the regional person who takes car of warranty issues. I've agreed to keep a complete log for a few months with every parameter possible. I'd replace the charcoal filter myself but I think it comes as a complete unit. Don't know the cost of that. Perhaps if Mark (Marc? sp.) get's a chance he can get a ballpark of the cost. This saga isn't over.

I'll try to bump this thread with periodic updates until we find the definitive solution (charcoal filter or otherwise).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So are you going to join us on sunday?
I'm game.

Proposed directions (~40 minute drive).

Sepulvida north to
Mulholland Drive going east (right) to
Cahuenga Blvd. East going east (cross the 101) (left) to
Barham Blvd. going north-east (right) to
Forest Lawn Drive going east (right) to
134 East (right) to
Brand Blvd. (left) to 1017 N. Brand Blvd.

If we want to be at our destination by 9, we better plan on leaving the Gov. Center by 8:15. Perhaps we should meet ~ 8 A.M.

What's the deal with lunch? Is it then off to Malibu? If we have to stop for gas, this could take some time.

---------------

Thanks Mark for checking into the gas problem for us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts