Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know my car just got back from the dealer and one of the things replaced was that green gas filler neck with the flap. Last night after I left the dealer I stop at the gas station to put some gas and the interior of the car got a very strong gas smell. Now today the car still has a very strong gas smell.

What can it be?

Thank you in advance.

PS- It smell like an old car!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
There are quite a lot of things it can be with that installation.. I'm sure the smell is strongest near the filler. In any case, you need to open up the windows, let it vent and take it to the dealer as soon as possible.

If the odor is very strong, I would have it towed in to the dealer at their expense.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
As you all know my car just got back from the dealer and one of the things replaced was that green gas filler neck with the flap. Last night after I left the dealer I stop at the gas station to put some gas and the interior of the car got a very strong gas smell. Now today the car still has a very strong gas smell.

What can it be?

Thank you in advance.

PS- It smell like an old car!
you better be careful.

this guy apparently smell gas in his CS, and while taking it to the dealer for repair:
http://www1.appledaily.atnext.com/images/apple-photos/apple/20080724/large/24la4p1a.jpg
http://www1.appledaily.atnext.com/images/apple-photos/apple/20080724/large/24la4p2a.jpg

towing better than having it burnt up.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously?

Wow, I drove the car all day long today. Didn't think it was that serious!

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Didn't think it was that serious!
It may not be.

If you did not smeel gas before filling it then something's going on with the vent or maybe theldrain.

Remove your gas cap to see if there is pressure w/in. If not there could be a loose clamp on the line that's leaking a bit.

look under to see if any puddling. If there is don't drive it any more.

Also you may have brought some gas into the car from your shoes! Remove you driver's side carpet and see if there is any aroma on it. That happened to me once. Left it outside in the sun and next day it was fine.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The smell gets worse in turns, when going straigth gets a little bit better, then after a turn, here comes the strong smell again.

I opened the trunk and the smell is very strong in there too.

Couldn't find anything on the engine area, no smell or wet spots.

It's definitely something on the filler neck area, because when I picked up the car at the dealer there was no smell (1/4 tank of gas), then I drove for about 30 min with no smell. Everything started after I filled up the tank.

What could have happen due to that green filler neck being replaced?

After 3 weeks without my car I can't beleive it's going back to the dealer! Dang!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd suspect the gasket on the top of the tank. Would explain the smell coming when full after a turn.... fuel sloshing on top of tank.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
While the smell of fuel was a "feature" of my MGB, it shouldn't be in your Maserati. I had a similar smell for a while, and grew used to it. However, I finally had it looked at, and it turned out to be a gasket on the fuel tank, so I'm VERY glad I did finally get it taken care of. I'd *absolutely* have the dealer take a look at it, for peace of mind. In my Coupe, tank removal was a fairly labor intensive process, but it was under warranty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Niteroi, You've got some luck with your dealer!! Sorry to here you now have a NEW problem. Without physically looking at the car, I would bet that the
combo valve on the top of the tank is stuck open. This valve is a rollover shut off and pressure release valve when refueling. Odds are that was the culprit to begin with and they misdiagnosed the filler neck. Let me guess, you were having difficulties fueling your car, the pump would keep stopping right? If that is the case, the combo valve is defective. I agree with everyone else, DO NOT DRIVE it until this issue is rectified. Best of luck my friend.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, guys. Just called roadside assistance. Another week without the car... C'mon, 4 weeks at the shop is ridiculous!!:mad:

I'll let you guys know what caused it.

Kent, I've alraedy mention that valve to the SM. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thank you, guys. Just called roadside assistance. Another week without the car... C'mon, 4 weeks at the shop is ridiculous!!:mad:

I'll let you guys know what caused it.

Kent, I've alraedy mention that valve to the SM. Thank you.
...but just think of all the money you're saving in gas! :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just Remember...

Gasoline itself isn't flammable, but when mixed with air, and in vapor form, becomes a bomb. I am glad you have the car back at the dealer, better than an exploding Maserati on the road. I would imagine the dealer didn't get the job done right the first time...

So one time a friend and I did an experiment back in highschool for science class, we took a five gallon gas can, filled it all the way up, lit it (Electric Primer) from a distance and we got a torch.. Then we took the same can and filled it only 1/4 full, set it off from a distance and blew a hole in the road about 8 inches deep and about 4 feet in diameter...

Fumes, Vapor, where it can expand, is where it does the most damage or when mixed with 14.7 parts of air and in an engine is when it does the most good!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Niteroi, You've got some luck with your dealer!! Sorry to here you now have a NEW problem. Without physically looking at the car, I would bet that the
combo valve on the top of the tank is stuck open. This valve is a rollover shut off and pressure release valve when refueling. Odds are that was the culprit to begin with and they misdiagnosed the filler neck. Let me guess, you were having difficulties fueling your car, the pump would keep stopping right? If that is the case, the combo valve is defective. I agree with everyone else, DO NOT DRIVE it until this issue is rectified. Best of luck my friend.
Kent, which one is that valve?

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kent, which one is that valve?
i think what kent ment to say is that it is the piersberg valve not notated on that attachment page. its activated when you press the fuel door latch button it activates this valve to allow your car to fill. well sometimes this valve gets stuck close and cant relieve any pressure. anyway the smell is that they forgot to put your hose back on at the bottom of the filler neck they are a bunch of rookies!!! seen this done before they will not admitt it to you though to protect themselves. the quattroporte uses the valve that kent is talking about the roll over valve to relieve pressure and allow filling of the gas tank.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Valve #2, there's two of them, one on each side of the tank, one and or the other is bad. I would really hope that MC Dave is wrong and they connected the overfill vent line hose. I also expect your check engine light to come on because of a leak in your fuel vapor anti-evaporation system. The dealer can smoke test the system to find exactly where the leak is. Hope this helps, best of luck.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just talked with the SM. He told me that when installing the new "green filler neck" a clamp was left loose and I think a hose came off.

I hope that is the REAL problem...

Thank you guys again!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to let you guys know, it was the "return valve" hose that was left loose. Problem is fixed now, no more gas smell.

Thank you guys one more time!!:)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hahaha! That depends on my diet... and it can be more lethal than the gasoline leak!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts