Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gas cap won't pop when I press the button -- this usually causes great amusement among onlookers at the pump, who watch me push the @#$&#@* button over and over again till I can finally get it open on a $100K car. Sometimes I think I might not be able to and have to wrench it open. any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
happens to my QP more than a few times.
suggestion? ask the dealer to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
M! said:
happens to my QP more than a few times.
suggestion? ask the dealer to fix it.
Happened on my QP too. Dealer fixed it, now it pops open with enthusiasm now. Dealer seemed familiar with the problem. Fixed under warranty. Now if I could just get them to work on my,uh . . . nevermind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
had the same problem......took some pliers and slightly (!!!) bend the "thingy" on the gas cap so that the electric plastic pin only just grabs it when closed......now it jumps open without a problem.....hope I explained myself.....no need to go to the dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Yes - "gas cap" used to stick shut on my 02 cc coupe. Dealer "adjusted it and it now mostly works.
You do not need to force it open - the italian engineers have fitted a "brilliant" emergency release next to the battery in the boot (a little red nylon loop, just yank it to open the cap!).
So evidently the normal release button is expected to fail!!!

I always wondered why they didn't attach the release button to the emergency release cord - guaranteed success!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I love these quirks Italian cars have. It makes ownership so much more special. It just makes me laugh when I hit a speedbump and my air conditioner kicks on, or my dash lights randomly go off, and of course spending 10 minutes at the gas station trying to open your cap.

My co-worker with a 360 Modena absolutely hates these types of things. He gets very frustrated when it happens, but me personally, it just puts a smile on my face. It makes the cars more exciting and trust me one day when you sell it, you'll miss all these little quirks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Gotta agree with Kevin on this one. Part of the fun of owning the car is to be able to pontificate about the quirks of ownership.

I've never had the filler door flap not open, but I have had to use channel locks (suitably wrapped in a microfiber towel) to remove the gas cap. On mine if you tighten it too much it sets up a vacuum lock as the tank empties and it's a real PITA to remove the next time.

Barbuckle, my favorite trunk item is the hostage release pull with the little stick guy hopping out and capering away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
milage is---

so good that wile i have had a few door and filler cap problems i do not have to fill the car often! SURE!! well maybe more often than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Rusty nuts?

There is certainly a kind of a love-hate thing between the brilliant driving experience and the annoying niggles.
Heres is another, anyone else got rusted wheel bolts? Does slightly spoil the look of the car!
Dealer replaced the whole lot under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Some weeks ago the flap didn't open in my 02 CC, although the electrics were ok. I just put a few drops of oil onto the spring that opens the flap - perfect again!
Bert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
My 2004 Spyder CC gas cap also sticks at times. Sometimes I just press the button a couple of times and it opens. If not, I resort to inserting my credit card under the edge of the cover while pressing the button, which I am sure looks rather odd to onlookers.

Does anyone have trouble with the storage box lid between the headrests popping open with every slight bump? It is beyond annoying and I have exhausted my attempts with every manner of velcro designs. I do not live near a Maserati dealership, so I'd prefer a home remedy. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I need to "double click" the fuel filler door button sometimes to get it to open. Not really a big deal. However, the actual gas cap on my spyder did come apart and made the car throw a CEL due to air leak in the gas tank. The dealer replaced all the parts but it took them about a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Home remedy for storage box lid

maserhottie said:
My 2004 Spyder CC gas cap also sticks at times. Sometimes I just press the button a couple of times and it opens. If not, I resort to inserting my credit card under the edge of the cover while pressing the button, which I am sure looks rather odd to onlookers.

Does anyone have trouble with the storage box lid between the headrests popping open with every slight bump? It is beyond annoying and I have exhausted my attempts with every manner of velcro designs. I do not live near a Maserati dealership, so I'd prefer a home remedy. Thanks!
I had the same thing and is bl**dy annoying ! I remedied it by placing a small lenght of plastic under one edge of the catch to angle it. Hasn't happened since. Try a bit of experimentation to see which part of the catch and what angle's best, as I can't for the life of me remember !

Cheers and good luck !

Jonny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I've had the same problem. Took till about the 3rd time getting gas to see that the flap was now sticking. I may take it in to Ron Tonkin and see if they can do something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Steeldream said:
my favorite trunk item is the hostage release pull with the little stick guy hopping out and capering away.

Every car sold in the USA has one. Required by DOT since around 2002. Also required to glow in the dark.

Primary reason is in case a child gets locked in the triunk...either by himself while being curious or by mean-spirited friends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Crapjokes said:
I had the same thing and is bl**dy annoying ! I remedied it by placing a small lenght of plastic under one edge of the catch to angle it. Hasn't happened since. Try a bit of experimentation to see which part of the catch and what angle's best, as I can't for the life of me remember !

Cheers and good luck !

Jonny
Had this happen as well. tried all kinds of velcro. Drove me nuts. when I had my car in for service, a week ago, had them fix it. Must say the people
at FMBH were great. They did a good job of fixing all the little things.
Also had a broken speaker in the drivers door that would popout now and then. But I knew the car was Italian when i bought it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top