Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to spruce up my garage a bit to better show off my beautiful Spider GT. Car is always squeaky clean and I have various Maserati plaques and banners in my garage. But the garage floor is not up to snuff for this fine automobile. I've been looking at Rust-Oleum EPOXYShield Garage Floor Coating but I've only found one brief online review. Has anyone here used this product? If so would they recommend? How well does it wear? Is the surface preparation for a previously painted concrete surface difficult? I appreciate your thoughts! Thank you.

Here's the link: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=16

·
Registered
284 Posts
I went with Premier Garage, they have an epoxy product that you can drive on in 24 hours, and looks fabulous. Costs a little more than DIY, but worth the extra money.

Eric

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think you'd want their "Professional" grade product rather than the water based.

You need to scrape a previously-painted floor with a large heavy machine.

I had mine professionally done after a failed attempt at DIY with a one-part Home Depot product, which lifted the first time I parked a car on it. I did all the prep "by the book", have done car bodywork and paint back in the days of acrylic lacquer, and am a fairly handy guy.

The pro installer troweled on a much thicker film of a 2-part product at a reasonable price. He charged me $1 extra per square foot to remove my failed attempt.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had mine professionally done after a failed attempt at DIY with a one-part Home Depot product, which lifted the first time I parked a car on it. I did all the prep "by the book", have done car bodywork and paint back in the days of acrylic lacquer, and am a fairly handy guy.
Yes, I had brand new garage floor properly prepped and applied the Home Depot brand (Behr?) It looked like crap within a year.

I have a friend who paid serious money to have his floor done with epoxy by a professional company. Although his coating didn't lift - his tires still burnt it, leaving yellow tracks. Two years later, his once beautiful white/black checkered floor looks like crap.

I am going to try racedeck next.

·
Registered
284 Posts
One year later, my professionally applied floor still looks brand new. Just be cautious of who you use. Get references and call them.

Eric

·
Registered
722 Posts
After 6 years, my light-gray 2-part has light tire tracks and brown stains where the tires come to rest and dirty rain drips off the car.

I scrubbed this off once a year for the first few years with a liquid bathroom cleaner containing phosphoric acid, worked great. It is a little hard to justify scrubbing your garage floor on your hands and knees, shouldn't I have something better to do?

I am still glad I had the floor coated though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put in porcelin tile and it looks incredible and wears like no other product Ive seen. Just pick good tile and grout color to hide dirt. I put a metal track edge at the garage door threshold to prevent cracking. So far, two years later, it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I installed orange shag carpet in the 60's. Looks great and matches my Velvet Elvis and Dogs Playing Poker prints on the wall. Some stains from the old VW bus but the Maserati looks GREAT in there :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
I installed orange shag carpet in the 60's. Looks great and matches my Velvet Elvis and Dogs Playing Poker prints on the wall. Some stains from the old VW bus but the Maserati looks GREAT in there :D
And beer bottles don't break when they hit it!

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Groits stuff will lift after about a year or two...if you want a really good floor covering look into Pratt & Lambert paints marine grade epoxy this is what they use to cover marine superstructures it works fantastic for floor work I have it at my home and my shop the shop is constantly covered in chemicals (motor oil, fuel, trans fluid, brake fluid, brake cleaner etc and corrosives and this stuff is totally unaffected. I use a light grey in both places the shop has been taking the abuse for 4 years now and the garage for two with no tire burns or lifting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts