Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am looking at buying a 2011 Maserati GTS. If anyone has any suggestions on common issues and what to look for before I purchase the car I would love to hear them. Also would it be best to take the car to a dealer or local shop for a pre purchase inspection?

Thanks!

Premium Member
2011 Gran Sport S
Lots of threads on GT purchase, use the search function.
But since I just bought a 2011:
Better to buy 2013 or newer so you don't have:
- the hose behind the engine to fix every x amount of years
Have:
  • more power
  • diff front bumper and seats
but other than that I understand they're similar and pretty bullet proof.
  • sticky buttons are a problem
  • cam covers weep
  • high brake and tire wear
As always have a PPI done at someone who knows Maserati
You see lots with high mileage ones vs Ferraris that are worn out and un sellable beyond 30K miles ;)馃槵
Good luck
PS I knew it was a big GT and not a small sports car but even so I wish I had driven a 911, Corvette and F-Type....as my last cars were a bit smaller and more nimble. But then again I never drove them that way and the GT will fill the bill 95% of the time

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying and letting me know about that search function! :) I would buy a newer model but the owner of this GT is one of my close friends and he鈥檚 going to give me a good price. Ive driven it before a few times over the summer and fell in love. He is only selling it because he wants a new car. Even though he is a really good friend I still need to do my own inspection of the car just to be safe!

Premium Member
2011 Gran Sport S
Buying from a friend sounds good, hopefully he's the original owner or a long time owner with lots of documentation of its maintenance. The fact that so many Maseratis have high mileage is a testament to their reliability. Enjoy

Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am looking at buying a 2011 Maserati GTS. If anyone has any suggestions on common issues and what to look for before I purchase the car I would love to hear them. Also would it be best to take the car to a dealer or local shop for a pre purchase inspection?

Thanks!
Being a new owner myself - 42 days and counting I will give you the best advice I can after having to overcome my own struggles and all.
If you need help and advice and solutions to the common issues with the GTs this is absolutely the best place to find it. If you are looking to convince yourself to buy one - this place is the worse place to do so. Think of it as trying to book a hotel but only reading 1 star reviews on Trip Advisor. People come here with problems and issues and find good, knowledgable solutions and support which is amazing but by the same token there isn't a 5 Star review of how amazing these cars are - which they are!!! That is what these forums are - a place for support to find a solution, they are all the same whether you are looking at Merc, Porsche, Audi or Ferrari etc... lots of people complaining and seeking advice on things.

The GT is a great car, sure it is not as nimble as 911, nor will it wipe out on a the first corner like only a Corvette can or depreciate faster than F-Type or whatever but that's because this is NOT a sports car/track car - it is a GT and that is the very essence of what makes this car so amazing and why it is very important to remember this. Its not a quick car but it is fast. It's not for tracking, it is for cruising - equally comfortable doing so at 30km/h and at 230km/h.

Take the car to a dealer and ask for a PPI, that is a must which will give you a good base then just follow your heart. You will be happy with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much! I do have realistic expectations for the car and I love it for what it is. I did drive it a few times over the summer and it was such an amazing experience, I love how you can daily drive such a car. I do live near Toronto and would probably be driving the car in the winter so I am not sure how well its going to work out. The car itself has never been winter driven but hopefully after putting on some proper snow tires I should be fine. Thanks again for replying, I hope you enjoy your new car! :)

Registered
Thank you so much! I do have realistic expectations for the car and I love it for what it is. I did drive it a few times over the summer and it was such an amazing experience, I love how you can daily drive such a car. I do live near Toronto and would probably be driving the car in the winter so I am not sure how well its going to work out. The car itself has never been winter driven but hopefully after putting on some proper snow tires I should be fine. Thanks again for replying, I hope you enjoy your new car! :)
It snows frequently in the city this car was born in. With the proper shoes, this car will do just fine in moderate snow.

Reactions: Quickk

Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
I drove my previous '13 MC convertible through 3 Chicago winters and it did just fine. I was surprised how balanced the car felt and how well it handled in snowy conditions. I think the fact that the engine is located behind the front axle helps with that regard. Yes, get a good set of snow ties like Pirelli Sottozero's. That being said, I wouldn't drive it through a blizzard. Otherwise, wash the car frequently during the winter and you'll be fine. Letting the car sit idle 5-6 months in a garage is much worse than driving it in wintertime. Cars are like people. If they don't get exercise, bad things happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts