Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It won't fill up all the way, the last few times I've filled up the pump "clicks" off after a few gallons. Anyone have the same issue? It it something that can be repaired or is it just a car quirk? I had the same issue on my 968 but it was constant, whereas this just came up; on that car I surmised it was because of the wide flanks that extended way out past the fuel door, the Maser is the same.

Wonder what it could be. Clogged fuel filter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been living with this problem for 1-1/2 year. It comes and goes. In some pump station, it worked fine specially with a slower pump. If it kicks out all the time I would squeeze the nozzle very lightly to slow down the pumping rate. It works but takes a long time to fill up a tank.

Very embarassing at one time a gas jocky fill up for me and he was commenting on how great the car looks. when the nozzle keep on kicking out, his last word was " what a piece of ...."

Hope to get a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thought it was just me......

I have an 04 CC.... I gave up on filling the tank at one time. I usually put in 20 - 30 bucks....

Depending on the gas station and how low I am on fuel, sometimes it works fine... Other times I end up getting out and pumping my own fuel and it takes forever.....

I would say two out of every three trips to the gas station I have to get out and hold the pump.....

Anyone know what gives??

CM

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's related to the fuel filler neck. Modern pumps have all sorts of vapor recovery and auto shutoff crap installed to prevent evaporative pollution and fuel spills. If you pull up to one that's a bit over sensitive AND you don't get the nozzle set exactly right in the filler neck, the flow backs up, and the sensor thinks the tank is full and shuts off.

I can usually manage to get a full tank by removing and carefully replacing the nozzle and starting over. Every once in a while I'll hit a pump that won't fill no matter how imaginative the curses i come up with. I don't think the problem is unique to the Maser, the Porsche does it too.

The gripe I have is with the fuel filler cap. If I tighten it too much after filling it "vapor locks" on the next time i try to take it off. I had to use channel locks to remove it one time. On the other hand, if you leave it too loose, the check engine light comes on indicating a gross leak in the evaporative emission congtrol system.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This car seems more sensitive than most, maybe because of the route into the tank and the vapor oversensitivity of some nozzles.

Shell stations appear to be worse. But to show how finiky things are, on a specific station by my house I know that a certain pump works well, the next hose over is a workout.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The weird thing is, it never did it at ALL until a few weeks ago. Then it did it 3 times in a row.

·
Registered
824 Posts
So I accidentally spilled a little gas/petrol around the filler neck the other day. I poured water on it (once gas cap was on) and wiped up, and the black paint inside the filler opening came off. Lovely...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts