Maserati Forum banner

Fuel Smell

25K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  julahti 
#1 ·
Loving my GS! But there's something bugging me.

I sometimes get a very strong smell of fuel in the cabin and boot (trunk). This seems to happen mostly when I have a full tank. The smell can be quite strong even when I haven't driven the car for a few days.

The fuel cap is tight and theres no visible signs of a leak. Someone mentioned that it could be the charcoal filter needing replacement - but I figure that might me responsible for fumes when the car is running, not when the car is off.

Any thoughts?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I recently had my fuel cell repaired after the technicians noticed a strong fuel smell (I have diminished olfactory senses - so I didn't notice). They performed a smoke test and discovered I had bought the car with a damaged fuel cell. Apparently, I was leaking fuel through cracks!

Here is what they (FM of V) stated on the invoice (total cost was close $4500):

GROSS EVAP LEAK FOUND.SMOKE TEST FUEL SYSTEM.FOUND R/S FUEL PUMP
CAP CRACKED (SIGNS OF FUEL LEAKING ON FUEL CELL). FOUND ONE FUEL ROLL
OVER VALVE LEAKING. HAD TO RE AND RE FUEL CELL. REMOVE SUB FRAME AND
TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY. REPLACE R/S FUEL PUMP AND ALL SEALS AND ROLL
OVER VALVES.REPLACE FUEL FILLER GASKET. RE INSTALL ALL COMPONENTS AND
TORQUE TO FACTORY SPECS.ROAD TEST. NO MORE FUEL LEAKS FOUND AFTER
REPAIR.

Best bet is to have the dealership do a smoke test to be sure!
Hope yours isn't this bad!
Wow, thanks Tubber. I'm hoping mine's not that bad too.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I wanted to test my own theory that it only happens when the tank is full. So I'm going to do a few half fills over the next few weeks and see if the smell goes away. Then it's probably off to the mechanics for a deeper look.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Found it!

I've found the problem. Looks like the breather hose that allows fuel vapour to vent has become detached from the fuel union. This means that the vapour is venting into the boot/trunk cavity instead of to the outside.

It appears that the fuel union is broken at the point it attaches to the hose. Eurospares has these for sale at $27 for the US/CDN version, but for the rest of us... $409 !! :(. Anyone know what's so different about the fuel system used in the US?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Fixed

I've ordered and fitted the US fuel union and problem solved! It was identical in every way to the one I removed from the car, so I'm still not sure why there is such a price difference between the US & UK part.

No more wondering whether the car is going to spontaneously combust!

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Inzanac, the pic in post #10 is of the fuel filler, looking in through the trunk, with the liner removed. As Catman mentioned though, it might be a little different on a Spyder.