Maserati Forum banner

Fuel Smell

25K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  julahti 
#1 ·
Loving my GS! But there's something bugging me.

I sometimes get a very strong smell of fuel in the cabin and boot (trunk). This seems to happen mostly when I have a full tank. The smell can be quite strong even when I haven't driven the car for a few days.

The fuel cap is tight and theres no visible signs of a leak. Someone mentioned that it could be the charcoal filter needing replacement - but I figure that might me responsible for fumes when the car is running, not when the car is off.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I recently had my fuel cell repaired after the technicians noticed a strong fuel smell (I have diminished olfactory senses - so I didn't notice). They performed a smoke test and discovered I had bought the car with a damaged fuel cell. Apparently, I was leaking fuel through cracks!

Here is what they (FM of V) stated on the invoice (total cost was close $4500):

GROSS EVAP LEAK FOUND.SMOKE TEST FUEL SYSTEM.FOUND R/S FUEL PUMP
CAP CRACKED (SIGNS OF FUEL LEAKING ON FUEL CELL). FOUND ONE FUEL ROLL
OVER VALVE LEAKING. HAD TO RE AND RE FUEL CELL. REMOVE SUB FRAME AND
TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY. REPLACE R/S FUEL PUMP AND ALL SEALS AND ROLL
OVER VALVES.REPLACE FUEL FILLER GASKET. RE INSTALL ALL COMPONENTS AND
TORQUE TO FACTORY SPECS.ROAD TEST. NO MORE FUEL LEAKS FOUND AFTER
REPAIR.

Best bet is to have the dealership do a smoke test to be sure!
Hope yours isn't this bad!

#4 ·
Maj- the fuel tank is actually INSIDE the passenger cabin in these cars, in the area between the rear seats and the trunk. Therefore, any leak in that part of the fuel system will be smelled in both the cabin and trunk.

It could be as simple as a leaky line -- or a more complicated repair like a leaking fuel cell. The fact that it seems to only occur with a full tank points to a few specific areas, but nothing you can diagnose more fully until the interior bits on either side of it are fully removed.

#5 ·
Keep in mind also that I have a Spyder not a GS.
I believe (but not positive) the same job on your car would be a lot cheaper as I doubt you'd have to remove the transmission to get at your fuel cell if necessary.
Good luck!

#8 ·
I wanted to test my own theory that it only happens when the tank is full. So I'm going to do a few half fills over the next few weeks and see if the smell goes away. Then it's probably off to the mechanics for a deeper look.

#9 ·
I get this only when I fill up to full and some of the gas spills outside of the filling area. It normally drains out of the small hole below the cap(in the gas cap area) through a tube to the outside underneath the car. Unfortunately some of gas lines up this tube and eventually evaporates.
When I wash the car some of the water falls into the hole and washes the gas remnants away.

#10 ·
Found it!

I've found the problem. Looks like the breather hose that allows fuel vapour to vent has become detached from the fuel union. This means that the vapour is venting into the boot/trunk cavity instead of to the outside.

It appears that the fuel union is broken at the point it attaches to the hose. Eurospares has these for sale at $27 for the US/CDN version, but for the rest of us... $409 !! :(. Anyone know what's so different about the fuel system used in the US?

Attachments

#12 ·
I've found the problem. Looks like the breather hose that allows fuel vapour to vent has become detached from the fuel union. This means that the vapour is venting into the boot/trunk cavity instead of to the outside.

It appears that the fuel union is broken at the point it attaches to the hose. Eurospares has these for sale at $27 for the US/CDN version, but for the rest of us... $409 !! :(. Anyone know what's so different about the fuel system used in the US?
Without taking the liner out I can't be certain, but looking through the battery access hole it looks like the picture of yours (more attached of course). If it were me, I'd gamble the $27+shipping.

#13 ·
Fixed

I've ordered and fitted the US fuel union and problem solved! It was identical in every way to the one I removed from the car, so I'm still not sure why there is such a price difference between the US & UK part.

No more wondering whether the car is going to spontaneously combust!

#16 · (Edited)
#17 ·
I have a 2005 Spyder and at times I also smell fuel. I had the fuel pump replaced but that did not fix the problem. I was wondering where in the car the picture on post #10 was taken so that I could look to see if the breather tube has become brittle and cracked. How do you get to that location? I took the liner out of the bottom of the trunk but did not see it down there.

Also, what is the part # of the breather tube that connects to the union described above on Eurospares.

Thanks,

Chris

#18 ·
Spyder is different I think, as the filler is mounted lower due to your convertible top.

The vent is part 190164

I guess it's behind the battery:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=495&A=1&B=28060&S=

I have had the actual filler pipe crack on mine. The issue presented by a fuel smell when freshly brimming the tank.

Hope that's of use.

C

#19 ·
Inzanac, the pic in post #10 is of the fuel filler, looking in through the trunk, with the liner removed. As Catman mentioned though, it might be a little different on a Spyder.

#20 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm guessing I didn't look in the right part of the trunk. I took the bottom out and could see the ground, however there is more liner I could have taken out in the longitudinal direction I didn't even touch. Maybe next weekend I'll open that up.

#23 ·
I just bought my first Maserati. 02 Spyder CC. Has a few issues that I don’t mind working on. But this fuel leak needed to be dealt with Subito Subito. My head was spinning driving it home.
So I read all the posts and was looking for the common fuel pump leak from the top. I did not see it on the RHS. But I saw that someone had filled the cavity at the top of this pump ( the one with the 4 pie slice sections.) with epoxy. I though, hummm, I bet they fixed that leaking pump with epoxy.
So then I opened the LHS cover that has the canister system in it. That pump was leaking every tine the ignition was on and the pump built pressure. It continued to leak for a while after shutdown until pressure dropped.
So I ckeaned the pie shaped area. Used air, towels, carb cleaner, alcohol, and some sandpaper. Then stuffed the cavity full of epoxy fuel tank repair putty. The other guy used Liquid epoxy. I chose the stuff meant for gasoline and to bond to plastic.
Well it works so far.
If anything changes. I will advise. I have some photos.
Jim

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Jim, that is not gonna work for long...Gasoline vapors are fairly nasty and make quick work of glue and epoxy...You are gonna need to replace the entire fuel pump unit...Fairly common..I have replaced several on Ferrari as they suffer from the same problem..That stuff only works for so long...sorry...Jason

#25 ·
Time will tell

Jason: You have me on Experience. So, all I can do is see what happens. Fortunately on this model, the time to get to these 2 pumps is just about 30-40 minutes, so I am not out a whole lot, if I have to go back.
Your comments are appreciated and certainly; I don't want to lead anyone else in the wrong direction. So, if this epoxy fix lasts longer than a few months, I will let you all know. Until then, beware.

BTW, when the time comes, where do you go shop for the pump(s)? New or used?

Thanks
J

#28 ·
This is very old thread, put I'll give it a try. My 04 Spyder has fuel smell, and would like to check if it is that cracked vapor line as discussed on page 1. Don't seem to be able to access it through trunk, so it must be by removing wheel well liner.
Can somone confirm this?