Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, don’t know too much about Maserati so looking for some advice.

Coming from a C63, I’m considering buying a 2014 Maserati granturismo.

What can I expect on the MPG? Highway and city, driving normal, not flooring it all the time but just enough to enjoy that lovely sound.

The C63 obviously drinks a fair amount but its not too bad, I’m reading some horror stories online about the GT getting 5-7mpg in city and mpg highway?

If you could please state if your MPG is from the US or UK please.

also is a GT year 2014 with 50,000km on the engine an ok buy in terms of the km/mileage?
thanks

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
5-7 mpg in the city??? Maybe if you were carrying a bulldozer on the top of it :p
I have a 2014 GT, I avg about 13-15 mpg's in the city and 20-22 mpg on the highway.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,895 Posts
I have a 2014 GT, I avg about 13-15 mpg's in the city and 20-22 mpg on the highway.
That seems about right for my 2013 as well, and although the majority of my driving is highway ( 75-80 % ) I do give the paddle shifting a lot of use, so it‘s not as if I’m just cruising at 65 mph in automatic much of the time .

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I consistently get 22-24 mpg on the highway, In town 13-15 is about right, Hard to drive in town with this car and not want to hear the exhaust...lol

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
285 Posts

What can I expect on the MPG? Highway and city, driving normal, not flooring it all the time but just enough to enjoy that lovely sound.

The C63 obviously drinks a fair amount but its not too bad, I’m reading some horror stories online about the GT getting 5-7mpg in city and mpg highway?

also is a GT year 2014 with 50,000km on the engine an ok buy in terms of the km/mileage?
thanks
Not sure about MPG but on a highway cruising about 120km/h top and windows down I get about 10.5 to 11l/100km if you go about 90km/h to 100km/h you can get it down to 9.7l/100km. City driving in Sport plus full idiot mode 16 to 19l/100km and worth every last drop of it!!! I couldn't tell you what the normal consumption in the city is because I never tried it. :LOL:

·
Registered
2010 Maserati Granturismo S
16 Posts

thanks
As a relatively new owner (3 months), and living in MN ( stupidly cold and covered in the nasty white stuff) I have not had the opportunity to put too many miles on my 2010 ‘S’. From my brief experience I would say 20mpg-ish in highway/conservative driving, mid teens around town or when driving it ‘properly’.
BUT .... if you are worrying about MPG you are going to be really compromising your ability to enjoy the car.
These cars need to be DRIVEN .... not beaten the crap out of, but driven. The way the engine revs.... the unbelievable sound that comes from the exhaust.... the way the steering wheel feels ‘alive’ .... something you just want to repeat over and over ....
So - again my opinion - if you are going to spend a not insignificant amount of money on something so special (purchase price, maintenance, insurance, etc.) enjoy it !!! Do the math - the difference between what you will spend on gas driving conservatively , and really enjoying the car will be worth EVERY PENNY!
(Yes I may be gushing ... but god I love this car!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds very positive numbers that I’m more than happy with. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I drove my first Granturismo Sport (bought new in 2014) about 40'000km (24'855miles) per year (after 145,000km (approx. 90'000miles) I bought another new Granturismo, with which I achieve the same consumption figures), of which about 85% on the highway (average speed 120km/h -> 74,5mph)). The average consumption was 8.7 liters per 100km. This corresponds to a consumption of 27MPG (32.4 MPG UK).

I know the buyer of my old Granturismo. Even with 145'000km on the counter, the new owner had absolutely no problems with the car, he is still very satisfied. I think a 2014 Granturismo is generally a very good choice. In my eyes a very mature and solid car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove my first Granturismo Sport (bought new in 2014) about 40'000km (24'855miles) per year (after 145,000km (approx. 90'000miles) I bought another new Granturismo, with which I achieve the same consumption figures), of which about 85% on the highway (average speed 120km/h -> 74,5mph)). The average consumption was 8.7 liters per 100km. This corresponds to a consumption of 27MPG (32.4 MPG UK).

I know the buyer of my old Granturismo. Even with 145'000km on the counter, the new owner had absolutely no problems with the car, he is still very satisfied. I think a 2014 Granturismo is generally a very good choice. In my eyes a very mature and solid car.
Wow that’s amazing MPG. Really good to hear about high km cars too with no problems. Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not sure how you do it, but mine does not come close to those numbers. Although i have sport cats so the car is running a bit richer.
Very spirited driving it gets below 10mpg.

When cruising it gets up to low 20's (100km/h). Although cruising at higher/lower speeds (between 80-130 kph) doesnt make mich difference.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Last long road trip I did (600 miles) I got almost 35 mpg.
My other vehicle is an Escalade and it gets 10 on a good day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just keep in mind one imperial gallon (UK/EU) is 1.2 U.S. gallons.
Thanks. So
Thanks. So if people are getting these figures in US MPG, that means it’s even better when you convert it in to UK MPG right?

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
285 Posts
Thanks. So

Thanks. So if people are getting these figures in US MPG, that means it’s even better when you convert it in to UK MPG right?
In the US of A a gallon is equivalent to 128 fluid ounces or 3.785 liters whereas in the UK, it's 160 fluid ounces or 4.546 litres so yes 35 mpg in US is better than the same in the UK.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Wow that’s amazing MPG. Really good to hear about high km cars too with no problems. Thanks
This is certainly a low value and yet real. I have achieved these values on the way to work with a calm and relaxed driving style. Once the Masi is at "sailing speed", its very low aerodynamic resistance is noticeable and its (for a V8) very efficient sports engine. I recall an interview with former Maserati CEO Harald Wester. He has said that they have invested a lot in optimizing the internal friction of the V8 engine and sold this revised version (I guess) from the 2013 model year.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

thanks
Mid 30,000 miles on these engines may seem like not very much but...what you don't know is how was it cared for? Concerning the engine, was the oil changed at the correct periods of mileage? Was the proper oil filter used? Was the correct amount of oil used? Was the correct lubricant used? I am a Forensic Mechanical Engineer and (although it may seem overkill) before I purchase an auto such as a Maserati GTS I would obtain an oil sample send it to Blackstone Laboratories (look them up on Google) send it in and have it properly analyzed. This is the only way to determine what's happening inside the engine. Blackstone has a vary good baseline of data from Maserati engines and can tell you numerous things concerning the expected engine life and what life is currently like from a mechanical wear prospective. Call them, they will send you sample oil test kits. Take the sample send it in and in about 2 weeks you will get the complete analysis. If time is an issue you can have an overnight analysis. The standard analysis is 25.00 US I don't know what the overnight testing will cost but these are fair folks and I don't expect the cost to be out of line.

As far as the mileage, what everyone is saying is accurate. 20-23 mpg highway and 12-15 mpg city. Doesn't matter does it, because the engine sounds is awesome. What I would definitely check is the suspension. The ball joints and bushings on a car that old may have some issues. Again this depends on the driving conditions and maintenance. There are no fittings to allow pressurized lubrication to these components. Also check the front rotors for excessive wear. When we drive these cars, rapid acceleration is where the thrill of the sound comes into play and of course, you need to then slow down. Best of luck. My 2013 GTS has over 100K miles on it and (since I have exceeded with my maintenance and oil analysis through the years) it runs just as good as when it was new. Happy motoring!

If possible, get a sample of the transmission fluid as well. Blackstone also has a robust baseline on transmissions.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Not sure how you do it, but mine does not come close to those numbers. Although i have sport cats so the car is running a bit richer.
Very spirited driving it gets below 10mpg.

When cruising it gets up to low 20's (100km/h). Although cruising at higher/lower speeds (between 80-130 kph) doesnt make mich difference.
With sport cats, the mileage should have improved, since the exhaust restrictions will improve and add additional air into the fuel/air calculating tables. I would have restrained from altering anything in these tables unless you have access to an expert tuner (not a hand tuner you can purchase on the web) and a dyno. Just the slightest change affecting these tables can cause several issues in performance, some good and some bad. I am going to assume that of you got the proper tune to the air/fuel tables, your mileage will get better than before you added the cats. Just trying to help. Don't know if this is the case, so there are a few assumptions within this quote.

Best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mid 30,000 miles on these engines may seem like not very much but...what you don't know is how was it cared for? Concerning the engine, was the oil changed at the correct periods of mileage? Was the proper oil filter used? Was the correct amount of oil used? Was the correct lubricant used? I am a Forensic Mechanical Engineer and (although it may seem overkill) before I purchase an auto such as a Maserati GTS I would obtain an oil sample send it to Blackstone Laboratories (look them up on Google) send it in and have it properly analyzed. This is the only way to determine what's happening inside the engine. Blackstone has a vary good baseline of data from Maserati engines and can tell you numerous things concerning the expected engine life and what life is currently like from a mechanical wear prospective. Call them, they will send you sample oil test kits. Take the sample send it in and in about 2 weeks you will get the complete analysis. If time is an issue you can have an overnight analysis. The standard analysis is 25.00 US I don't know what the overnight testing will cost but these are fair folks and I don't expect the cost to be out of line.

As far as the mileage, what everyone is saying is accurate. 20-23 mpg highway and 12-15 mpg city. Doesn't matter does it, because the engine sounds is awesome. What I would definitely check is the suspension. The ball joints and bushings on a car that old may have some issues. Again this depends on the driving conditions and maintenance. There are no fittings to allow pressurized lubrication to these components. Also check the front rotors for excessive wear. When we drive these cars, rapid acceleration is where the thrill of the sound comes into play and of course, you need to then slow down. Best of luck. My 2013 GTS has over 100K miles on it and (since I have exceeded with my maintenance and oil analysis through the years) it runs just as good as when it was new. Happy motoring!

If possible, get a sample of the transmission fluid as well. Blackstone also has a robust baseline on transmissions.
Thanks for taking the time to give me all this info. Makes complete sense what you say about oil change etc, I live in Spain and would be buying the car from Germany, so I don’t think it would be possible to send the oil to blackstone, I will definitely take it to a garage though so they can do an inspection on the car

1 - 20 of 20 Posts